Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone...Heres the deal: I've had mild to moderate acne and oily skin since I was about 11 and have had my ups and downs with them. Oil is the bigger problem of the two...during school I have to wipe the oil off of my face 4-5 times a day...and it still comes back. My acne really isn't that bad but I still want it to go away and never come back. I finally started Accutane(Sotret) today, 20mg a day for the first month(depending on how things go I may call my derm after 2 weeks and ask him if it would be okay to bump up to 40mg). Pictures are in the gallery, and I will put new pictures up at least once a week, if not as much as everyday...so here goes...

Day 1

I took 1 20mg capsule with dinner...yeah thats pretty much it, haha. :cool:

We started on the same day!!! yayyyy lol :dance: I wish you lots of luck and yeah i havent noticed anything yet either hahaha :lol: But I will keep everyone updated :D

Good luck with you treatment, your skin is pretty mild so I am sure accutane will clear up any problems! Have a great day and keep posting!

Day 2

Thanks for the replies everyone and good luck with your treatment as well! No difference so far, obviously. I took 20mg with lunch today...lots of dairy/fat...thats how it gets absorbed best, correct? I do have a question...is it bad to take it at different times everyday? Or would it be best to take it at the same time everyday? Thanks. ;)

I think, as with any meds, it is best taken at the same time everyday, but the difference probably isn't that much.

I also have another question...I know its bad to pop pimples(I get whiteheads every other day or so), but I always feel the need to do it. I always do it the right way, as described on this website.(With a sterile needle) Then I use Clean & Clear salicylic acid pads as an astringent. I've been told by my dermatologist as well as other people on this website to stop using any topical product other than washing with soap throughout the day...so should I be completely hands off and just let Accutane do what it needs to...or is it okay to do this? Thanks...

I also have another question...I know its bad to pop pimples(I get whiteheads every other day or so), but I always feel the need to do it. I always do it the right way, as described on this website.(With a sterile needle) Then I use Clean & Clear salicylic acid pads as an astringent. I've been told by my dermatologist as well as other people on this website to stop using any topical product other than washing with soap throughout the day...so should I be completely hands off and just let Accutane do what it needs to...or is it okay to do this? Thanks...

hi darkside,

I think squezzing out pimples is no good idea during an accutane treatment. I don't do it cos the skin healing is very slow during accutane. So the worst case could be that squezzing out could cause you some scars. And scars are crap. But it's only an advise I can give you. It's not worth it. Thats what I guess. ;)

Let accutane do its work!

Have a nice weekend!

I agree with Cj! Your skin is extra thin and sensitive on accutane and it will just make it look worse to mess with it.. and yes it could cause scarring which is permanent when a pimple is not... so i would not pick or pop.. its probably a good idea to just avoid the mirror as much as possible so its not tempting :naughty:

I took pictures this morning when I woke up, and they are in the gallery...I don't have much else to update yet. I'm gonna start taking my pill the same time each day, I'm not sure yet if thats going to be lunch or dinner...is either time better? If you do go into my gallery, look at the one closeup of my nose, are those blackheads on it and to the right of it? Or are they enlarged pores? If you can't tell from that picture, look at the picture of my face on day one. Thanks...:whistle:

Day 3

Ate 20mg pill with dinner...my lips are starting to chap and I'm noticing my face feels alot drier and tighter after I wash it, but its not peeling or flaking yet. Maybe it won't due to the low dose :pray:...retin-a made my skin peel and flake like crazy...that wasn't fun at all...but so far so good. :D

Hey DarkSide,

I have mild acne too and was getting annoyed with it after so many years. I was on 40mg for the first 2 months, now I am on 60mg. So far so good I guess, I was taking it with dinner,but I don't know if it matters when you take it. I read on the forum to take it with a fatty meal, but my cholesterol went up a little, so I'm trying to eat a little better. Maybe you could go up to 40mg next month if you are doing well. I am still getting pimples here and there, my skin seems different everyday.

Anyway, enough about me, good luck with everything!

Mac

Thanks Mac, and good luck to you too!

Day 4

I woke up this morning with less oil on my face than I normally do, but it ended up coming back in school as it normally does :(...oh well, I'm getting really sick of this oil thing, I hope it goes away really soon. I also do have a few active pimples on my face, about 4-5(mainly whiteheads), I'm gonna leave them all alone though :naughty:, and let Accutane do its job on them...next pictures will be at Day 7...

Day 5

Ugh, I got a few more pimples and my current pimples have gotten worse...I think I might be experiencing the initial breakout...or is it too soon? Either way I'm going to leave them alone..hopefully they clear up soon. I woke up this morning with even less oil on my face, but it still came back, but not as much as normal...there is hope! :pray:...I'm about 100% sure I'm going to ask my derm to bump me up to 40mg for month 2, and if things aren't getting better, surely up to 60mg...does anyone know if increasing my dose for those months decrease the chances of my oil coming back after I finish my course?

Day 6

Nothing new to update...I have 2 active whiteheads and a few other zits scattered...among quite a few red spots...hopefully my oil will stop being produced soon...this is seriously killing me. For all you other Accutane and post Accutane users that have/had oily skin, how long did it take your oil to stop completely?

Hey,

Just stopping by to wish you luck in your course. Also, I have gotten more oil on my face than normal as usually I am dry. I am on my 7th day. Apparently, you are supposed to get oilily and then dry and it may happen in the 2-3 weeks but it might be different for each person.

Thanks thewindycity, and good luck on your course as well.

The Real Day 6

Sorry for the confusion, but I started taking it last Friday, so today really is day 6...I ate my 7th pill with some Burger King and a vanilla milkshake...yummy...I had a mild nosebleed out of nowhere today, but it went away pretty quickly. I'm praying my oil goes away within the next couple days so I don't have to deal with wiping the oil off my face during the day, it's pretty rediculous. Anyway...I am still breaking out a little and have some small zits on my nose. I popped a whitehead that was on my temple because it had been bothering me for a few days...other than that so far so good...and the new pictures are in the gallery...

oil took about 3 weeks

i hope my skin is as good as yours is now when i finish my 4 months of accutane :D

martin06 - my skin really isn't as good as you see in some of the pictures...but thanks and good luck to you my friend...I hope your skin clears up completely!

Week 1

Wow, it has been a week already...anyhow...nothing new to update...oil is still as present as it always has been, my skin still looks the same as it did yesterday...hurray? :wall:

Thanks Posh, but the pictures make my skin looker clearer than it really is...

Day 8

Ate pill number 9 with dinner. Still oily...but it seems to be decreasing...breaking out more and more though which sucks... :doubt:...oh well, I can't wait until like 3 months from now...my skin still hasen't begun to dry yet...would it be okay to use some 5% BP wash once a day or so? I just want to keep these breakouts at bay...

Im sure that will be okay.. as long as u stop when your skin gets drier. You know your skin better than anyone so do what you think is best... im still using my topicals in moderation. Have a good night sweetie! :D

hey, first of all your skin looks great. and dont worry about your skin getting worse, i'm sure its just an initial breakout, it will pass soon and then accutane will ready start to kick in! good luck! i'll be back to check on you!

Jen121 - Hey...my skin is getting drier, so I think I'm going to stop...but my acne keeps getting worse :(...oh well, hopefully it will pass soon...and good luck on your course, I'm sure this time your skin will clear for good!

hi im Lvig - Thanks, but its getting worse on a pretty daily basis...I hope you're right and it does pass soon...

Day 9

Ate pill 10 today...at work my back hurt like hell, along with my ankle and legs...not fun...my skin is started to flake and dry...oh I love it, along with me getting a new pimple on a daily basis. I guess I'll see in school tomorrow if my oil production has decreased at all...tonight I only got oily on my forehead and nose, instead of my whole face, which was nice. Is your skin supposed to feel like really rough and dry when you wash it? Cuz mine does...

I feel discouraged :doubt:...I hope this works... :pray:

hey DarkSideOfTheMoon

man your on Day 9... looking at your photos i thought your on Day 100 like nearly finishing your course... im like 80 days ahead of you and my skin is abit woser... but yeh i think you clear spotless soon... wish you all the best!!!

yeh my was rough and dry when i washed it too but i got used to it... you probably find your skin really dry for a few weeks and oily again for a week or 2, then dry again to you stop the medication... maybe not all people are the same... but thats what i went through... just keep your skin moist with cream... try Cetaphil moisturising lotion for dry, sensitive and acne-prone skins... it work really well for me...

me off...