Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
elfgirl

reaction to new foundation?

Recently I had to find a new foundation, I used to wear Maybelline true illusion but they took it off the market so since I like the brand I went to the oil control one and by the end of the day my skin kinda itches and I have had dry patches on my nose and up by temples to the hairline. Just wondering if it is a reaction or just my skin being goofey. I like the foundation helps keep me oil free for the entire day, any help?

Since you use Ivory Soap, a pretty harsh cleanser, that foundation may be too drying for you. Foundations have ingredients that are drying. Many fillers like talc, mica, boron nitride, nylon-12, etc...are absorbant (even the pigments are absorbant....so mineral makeups can also be drying). I don't know if you moisturize at all.....that will help a bit, but not totally. Since you are in your forties, and use a strong cleanser......and oil control foundation probably isn't right for your skin type..........Oil control foundations often have high levels of silica or kaolin (a type of clay) that are very absorbant........If I use dryig topicals I can't even wear most foundations because they aggervated the dryness.....and create more flakes and surface dehydration lines.........If I 'm clear and on topicals I look 100% better without makeup.......

You could still use the foundation if you switch to a milder cleanser and/or moisturize before you apply. I'd opt for switching cleansers......the less stuff you put on your face the better......

The irritation you are experiencing is called xerosis......that's the clinical term for dry skin.......

The key to general skincare is to be gentle.....less is more......

And respect your epidermal barrier lipids..........the stronge rthe barrier.....the less irritation/inflammation you will have........