Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
black spring

Should I drain this or just leave it alone? (see pic)

Hi there,

I'd really appreciate some other people's opinion on this. I've been on Diacneal for about 1.5 weeks now. I started up once before 1.5 months ago, but the initial breakout was bad, so I let my skin be for a bit and just decided to start with the Diacneal again recently--this time prepared for the breakout.

So far it's really just been a few small bumps that go away very quickly, but I recently got a very large zit recently. It started out as a raised bump on sunday, and stayed raised and flesh coloured for the next few days. Then, wednesday night I could tell that it would soon be coming to a head, which it did yesterday, but it was still not the kind of head that was ready to be messed with. Since then, its just been relentlessly pursuing its way to the surface, it seems. At the moment its a big ugly yellowed headed thing, but I can tell that the swelling has gone down a bit, like it reached its peak last night and is now on the way out. The top of the head has actually kind of hardened a little bit, I know that the stuff will be more gooey than liquid inside...sorry for the graphic description....

I'm wondering whether I should prick it very gently with a sterilized needle and either (VERY gently) push down on either side to drain it, or cover it with a cotton ball soaked in a soloution of epsom salts and water to draw all the shit out....OR whether it would just be better to let it be and dry out completely and fall off on its own? What do you think? I haven't had a zit like this for a very long time.

Also, the strange thing about this whole incident is first of all that it's been so fast to surface (I think it must have to do with the Diacneal, which is a retinoid), and second of all that there's been absolutely no noticable pain or sensation of pressure at all...which makes me think that this IS a purge from the retinoid. Seriously, it seems as if this crap that was deep in my pour is just pushing it's way to the surface to get out rather than an infection (which is more painful, I think). And I haven't really have the urge to do anything to it, until today. Truth be told, I'm a little fasciniated by the whole thing in a weird way...like my little experiment to see what would happen if I let it run its full course.

So I've just been reading the forums instead of looking in the mirror...but it seems that even people who do say not to pick sometimes advocate draining a cyst once it's come to a head, and I'm just wondering if this does help the area heal faster (that is, if you're sure it's ready to be lanced)...

I've attached a pic (sorry it's a bit blurry, but you can't miss the zit!), and I'd really appreciate some opinions on this

thanks in advance, and sorry for rambling... :razz: [attachmentid=4362]

post-37712-1146257363_thumb.jpg

post-37712-1146257363_thumb.jpg

Whenever i have had something like that i have drained it and applied BP over that area.

Not sure if thats the best practise and it may cause scarring but i have always done it, I cant resist!

Paul

poke a hole in the middle and gently squeeze till blood comes out , then apply neo , that will take too long to heal itself

yea got for it. just make sure you push from the bottom. you don't want it going further down. then once it's all out, wack some bp or salt on it.

it will pop on its own...i had a similar one actually bigger and way ugly....dont touch it!!

DO NOT POP IT. unless u want a scar. if ur treating it with anything. get a circular band-aid, place the cream on tha pimple/white cloth part of the band-aid and sleep with it on. (unless u dont mind wearing it during tha day) it will go away by itself. if ur not traeting ur skin with anything (see a dermatologist)

i would pop it to get rid of it quicker even though it might leave a scar. even if you don't pop it you could get a scar because the puss has to come out through your skin anyway causing a hole. but if you leave it will probably take twice as long to get rid of

If anyone should "drain" or "pop" it, it should be your Dermatologist.

He may inject it with a small amount of cortizone to make the swelling go down.

If you start digging at it, it WILL scar. Believe me and learn from all the very bad mistakes I've made through the years.

Derms don't usually inject cortizone solution on puss already filled pimples. They just let it ripen and hope that the topical ointments they prescribed would dry it up...

And by the way, you call that disgusting... Are you sure... That's like a normal looking pimple to me...