Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If at all possible, take Accutane.

As you can see, I joined here December of '04 when I was 17. I'm 19 now and between those two years, I tried Dan's regimen (sorry man, didn't work..) and a multitude of other things. I've been on Proactive (HA! No celebrity endorcement can make THAT crap work!), Tazorac, (worked a little, but not good enough..) BP (sucks) and an array of over-the-counter bullcrap and "natural" stuff. I'll start off first by saying what did work:

Vitamin B5 cleared my body COMPLETELY, but did nothing to my face. My skin is now permanently dryer than it ever was because of taking this. Worth it? Maybe if I only had acne on my back, but alas, my face was the problem mostly.

Aloe Vera with Vitamin E didn't do anything as for "Clearing" my skin, but i did see some improvement with red marks, plus my skin felt softer.

Those are the only two things I've taken that have done anything marginal. As you can see, it isn't much, and both are natural, oddly.

Let me get down to the point...I took Accutane after being fed up with acne, period. There is a breaking point where you just say "This is friggin' rediculous, I'm going to the derm." and go to the dermatologist, sucking up your fears knowing it'll be for the best. Acne absolutely slaughtered my life in terms of socially...I used to never be WITHOUT a girlfriend, if I ended one relationship, there was another waiting...Once my acne got bad, that stopped. It could be because I dated almost all the girls in my school, but still, not the point. :P It eventually ended up in me getting so sick of people having to see me day-by-day that I dropped out of school, got my GED and now I don't know what I'm supposed to do. College? I wish, I hope, but I dunno' what you can do with a GED. That test was like 6th grade level...Come on, I got like 100% on it, it was nothing. If I knew my math well, I'd go be a doctor, because I rule at everything but math. I suck at it. I failed 10th grade math because of acne, I kept my head down and didn't hear a word the teacher said, so I just dropped out...I failed a class, something I'd NEVER done. I was ashamed, I was infuriated that acne had gotten the best of me, but what could I do? I didn't know about Accutane, all I knew was Proactive and Clearasil (only used that like once until my face lit on fire because of how harsh it was, jeebus..) so I just sat myself in my room.

For the past 3 years I've basically just sat in my room, had very little socialization (my friend's who I've recently been seeing a lot didn't even know who the hell I was, that's how much I didn't go out..) but that all stops very soon. When I used to go outside, I could sense myself hiding my skin behind whatever I could...My hands, my hood, anything. Now I walk outside with my head up, having nothing to fear. Even the sunlight itself ain't got shit on me. Sorry Mr. Sun, I know you like to make the bad look worse, but not today. Not ever again.

But enough about me personally, let's talk about you. I know how you feel, I know the struggle of wanting to rip your face off because it would probably look better that way. Okay, maybe not that far, but you see my point.

I come back and read these boards, and I see hundred's of people trying in vain to do these "regimen's" of their own hoping and praying they will work, but the fact is almost NONE of them will. I know all too well, guys.

There is a tool out there specifically for us. All you have to do is suck it up, drop a pill, and show no regrets. I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but nothing will work that you're trying. This applies to almost everything you could try..There are the few things that do end up working, but yours probably won't be one of them. Mine never were. And even if it DOES work, you'll have to do that SAME THING for what? 20 YEARS? I took Accutane for 5 months and my derm told me to fully expect to be done completely based on how well I responded to it. Of course it could come back, but then I just take another round for 5 months and it's gone again and I have to do NOTHING for up-keep again.

Side-effects? What side-effects? Come on guys, this is what you're afraid of? The scare of media telling you you'll get depression and drive a plane into a building? PLEASE. How could you get depression from watching acne vanish from your face completely? My only side-effects were my lips getting a bit dry. Not even "cracking and bleeding" dry. No hair loss, no depression, nothing.

This is my plead to you guys, the people who suffer from acne. Don't buy into false people's companies by buying their crappy products like Proactive. This is not a stab at Dan, either. He put out a product that does have the potential to work, but sadly the chemical he's using is still a pretty bad chemical in terms of ridding yourself of acne. This isn't Dan's fault at all, he seems like a "good guy" here who wanted what was best for sufferer's aswell, just like I do.

I don't want people a bit younger than me to end up like I did, I don't want anyone killing themselves over a problem so easily solved. I don't want acne to be around anymore to permenantly hurt people's self-image. Mine was severely wounded for years and is now just coming back. I don't want people to be scarred by acne when they could have taken a pill and prevented it. I have a little scar or two on my cheek (nothing severe) to remind me of my acne, and that's enough.

I look around these boards and I see people who have acne worse than mine trying "natural" things and stuff...It just isn't going to work, you guys. If you have pretty bad acne, you need to get on Accutane. If your derm says no, say you've tried everything...cry...do whatever. They're doctor's, not dictator's. They are there to help you. If they buy into the side-effect scares, they're NOT good doctor's. My doctor told me basically that it was a load of BS in his opinion, and I totally agreee with him. My doctor wasn't sure if I needed Accutane, but I told him my story...That it hurts my self-image and that I sit in my room constantly, if it ruins your life, doctor's are obligated to give you this drug.

Please, if it's medically possible for you, TAKE ACCUTANE. I remember a guy on these boards who couldn't because he had some disease or disorder, I forget, but that should be your only reason for not taking it. Not the "side-effects" or anything like that.

This drug works miracles, it really, really does. Think about it...Those bacteria on your face feed off oil on your skin. BP kills bacteria, but we all know bacteria cannot be stopped, they just come back. Accutane cuts off your oil production, so those bacteria die off with nothing to eat. All through-out my Accutane course, my skin didn't have a drop of oil on it. I went for a week once without washing my face and hair (still showered of course) just to see if oil would show it's ugly face...None did. That alone for people with acne is enough to praise the drug over. Oil is almost more annoying than the acne itself.

It should be stated of course, the drug doesn't work for everyone, but with a 90 some % rate of success, it'll probably work for you. I'm directing this to people trying "natural" things and other regimine's I've personally tried that just don't work. They just don't.

Take Accutane, thank me (and it) later. If you regret it, you can stone me to death. That's how confident I am in this drug.

I've been off Accutane for over a month now and my skin does get a little oily after I wake up, but that's in 24 hours, and only a LITTLE oil. Before, it was every 4 hours I'd have a TON of oil. You'll see the difference and you'll love it. Also, the red marks? Completely cleared by Accutane aswell. I had red marks pretty damn bad, and now I have none. All this in the term of 5 months, it's just amazing.

That's really all I can say. I won't be posting anymore on these boards after this thread, because it just saddens me that people use Accutane only after they've ended up scarred and emotionally stretched to the limit. Doctor's say it's a last resort...I say once you've had it, you've had it, and you take this. Go to the acne scarring boards and ask yourself if you want to be a "waiting until I got severely scarred" person, or a "I thought ahead about that, and put a stop to it." person.

Take my words for what they are, and acne sufferer who is now clear, or ignore them. I just wanted to add my contribution. If this gets a few people thinking that maybe they should go and get Accutane, I'll be happy.

Noone should suffer through this anymore. Stay strong if you decide not to (or can't) take Accutane. You'll need to.

(P.S. - I don't have any picture's, mainly because I didn't TAKE pictures of myself when I had acne, and an "after" would just be pointless without a "before" :P Trust me, my skin is clear as any normal persons..)

hey,

i'm on anti-depressents (venlafaxine - brand name effexor). could i take accutane with them??? i doubt very much i'd be allowed to.

tim

question: i have friends who i think took accutane and their faces look abnormally red for quiet some time. Is this a side effect of accutane and if it is will it go away in time?

timmytim: I dunno'. I'm not a doctor, lol. Would a doctor who believed Accutane caused depression let you take it? Probably not. But then again, why are you depressed? Because you have acne, probably?

Bob W: I had no such side effect. The only redness I had was on my forearms, I developed a tiny rash on my last few weeks...Doctor said most people get it, that's what high doses of Vitamin A do, and that's basically what Accutane is. Even if you did get it, I'm sure it'd go away.

This post wasn't to inform people about side-effects. Like I said, I had almost none, and certainly no serious ones.

This post is a plead for people who have acne bad enough (to them) that it destroys their life. Take the pill, cut the BS. :P

i have been on roaccutane and had no bad side affects apart from the dryness and it got rid of my acne for about 10 months but it started coming back about 2 years ago. since then i get spots now and again and now im 20 i was wondering if i could go on roaccutane again even though it isnt really severe, do you think the derm would let me to get rid of it once and for all?

I'm sorry to put it so bluntly, but nothing will work that you're trying.

My regimen worked. Everyone responds to skin treatments differently. I'm glad it worked for you but Accutane isn't for EVERYONE.

Not to be rude but the confident tone you take is one that should only be reserved for medical professionals. They may not be perfect but one anecdote does not equal data.

This thread really belongs in the Severe/Cystic forum, because I think that's the audience the original post was intended for.

Lots of people with mild/moderate acne can get things under control without Accutane ... and we have to, because it's very unlikely that our derms would prescribe it for us ....

Guest tired of this shish

Angelis...

drop the bomb and just get accutane?.....

sorry man, it aint that easy

accutane totally sucked for my daughter. I'm still trying to figure out why. She took a high dose for 6 months. She broke out bad the whole time, was red, and lots of side effects. She cleared in about the 5th to 6th month and then started to break out right away when she stopped.

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

Skin is a complex issue, there is no single answer to everyones problems. Accutane has the ability to clear skin, it comes with some negatives though. It's a matter of weighing up your case and whether or not it's worth the risks.

If you have mild acne, there is no point in taking a dose of Accutane for 6 months. It has its place, but it is by no means a cure.

I'm actually against people starting threads dictating that a particular product, especially those which carry risks, should be used if at all possible. That's what professionals are in place for. To diagnose a disorder, and treat it accordingly.

The starter of this thread is simply someone that cleared through the use of Accutane, and therefore happens to be pro-tane. I really don't see the expertise they bring to the fore.

Skin is a complex issue, there is no single answer to everyones problems. Accutane has the ability to clear skin, it comes with some negatives though. It's a matter of weighing up your case and whether or not it's worth the risks.

If you have mild acne, there is no point in taking a dose of Accutane for 6 months. It has its place, but it is by no means a cure.

I'm actually against people starting threads dictating that a particular product, especially those which carry risks, should be used if at all possible. That's what professionals are in place for. To diagnose a disorder, and treat it accordingly.

The starter of this thread is simply someone that cleared through the use of Accutane, and therefore happens to be pro-tane. I really don't see the expertise they bring to the fore.

I agree that's why I think it's important to offer the flip-side. It does not work for everyone and it does have side-effects. Forgot to mention that my daughter suffered major hair loss and I had to take her to a nutritionist to turn it around. It was apparently too strong for her body.

In my case accutane was not worth it... if 1 year from now I still have crazy acne and scarring... maybe, but I highly doubt it.

What I am doing now is working for me... I just couldn't live with the side affects of accutane.

In my case accutane was not worth it... if 1 year from now I still have crazy acne and scarring... maybe, but I highly doubt it.

What I am doing now is working for me... I just couldn't live with the side affects of accutane.

What are you doing now?