Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs Jenkins

Is amazingly perfect skin really

a sign of good health? I ask this because I've noticed that many moderately to highly obese women have the smoothest, clearest skin (like a 6 month old baby). I never see skin that perfect on normal/thin women. Some women will get skin like that on birth control, but they are being given extra female hormones. I wonder why these women have such nice skin. Are many of them diabetic or pre-diabetic? Are their bodies not producing enough insulin causing their IGF-1 levels to be abnormally low. Do they have so much extra estrogen from the body fat that they get ultra clear skin? In any case, their perfect skin is not an indicator of good health as it can't be healthy to be that overweight.

Good skin creates the perception of health because it can be seen. You can't see someone's cholesteral levels or their blood pressure. What the eye sees, the mind believes.

Kinda reminds of when I play basketball at my gym. Often, weightlifter types will challenge me and they look like they are in great shape, but halfway through the game they are bent over ready to throw up. They're not in much better shape than the average couch potato. They only look better creating the image that they are healthy and in shape.

Obese people rarely ever get acne. It's some strange fact but it's true. I'm not sure exactly why-I think I read somewhere it has to do with toxins that are normally released through our skin (ppl with acne, who are not overweight) but that people who are obese, the toxins arne't released through their skin but somehow kept in their body? This could be totally off base but people who are grossly overweight, generally have perfect skin.

weird huh. If anyone else knows about this, feel free to contribute... but I don't think the reason fat people don't get acne is becuase they are healthier-I think it may relate to their skin holding in the impurities instead of releasing them. But I'm not entirely sure....it always puzzled me a bit tho.

i bet if i got fat i would still have acne, id rather be fat than have acne; it would be so much easier to get rid of, but then once i got back to my normal weight i'd get acne again, stupid world...

So much would rather have acne then be obese. Obviously I dont want to be made fun of MORE and die early. Have you seen that documentary "supersize me"

yeesh.

Obese people rarely ever get acne. It's some strange fact but it's true. I'm not sure exactly why-I think I read somewhere it has to do with toxins that are normally released through our skin (ppl with acne, who are not overweight) but that people who are obese, the toxins arne't released through their skin but somehow kept in their body? This could be totally off base but people who are grossly overweight, generally have perfect skin.

weird huh. If anyone else knows about this, feel free to contribute... but I don't think the reason fat people don't get acne is becuase they are healthier-I think it may relate to their skin holding in the impurities instead of releasing them. But I'm not entirely sure....it always puzzled me a bit tho.

I disagree with this statement though because I was 215 lbs before and my acne was so severe and still even now that I really loss weight until 142 lbs... I still have acne... It all depends on your skin type really if you will have acne. I guess, some overweight people have flawless skin but still reality is more farfetched than what it seems.

Or maybe I was an exception to the rule... crap this genes... :wall:

That is an interesting take on it. I have noticed that when i ate a healthy diet that i breakout less often. I am not always at my desired weight when i am eating healthy or unhealthy. I think, from my own experience, that if i put my mind to having a clear face that i will get it. I'm not saying that this will work for everyone, but it seems to be true for me.

Don't know. My hubby probably classifies as obese, while I'm sitting right at the recommend weight. But it's a sure bet that his insides are in better shape than mine, since I smoke and eat terribly. (He doesn't smoke and eats waaaay healthier than I do)

He does not have acne, though I'm not sure if that's entirely related to wieght. His family is pretty clear skinned.

I disagree with this statement though because I was 215 lbs before and my acne was so severe and still even now that I really loss weight until 142 lbs... I still have acne... It all depends on your skin type really if you will have acne. I guess, some overweight people have flawless skin but still reality is more farfetched than what it seems.

Or maybe I was an exception to the rule... crap this genes... :wall:

Congragulations on losing all the weight! I hope you're healthy and well still.

this got me to thinking:

i wonder if i'd rather be obese than have acne....my acne isn't THAT bad so it'd be fair to say that i'd probably be about 20 lbs overweight...but it just seems like 20 lbs is SO easy to lose...compared to acne.

i wonder if obese people with perfect skin look at skinny people with acne and think "god i'd take those zits any day to have that body."

a sign of good health? I ask this because I've noticed that many moderately to highly obese women have the smoothest, clearest skin (like a 6 month old baby). I never see skin that perfect on normal/thin women. Some women will get skin like that on birth control, but they are being given extra female hormones. I wonder why these women have such nice skin. Are many of them diabetic or pre-diabetic? Are their bodies not producing enough insulin causing their IGF-1 levels to be abnormally low. Do they have so much extra estrogen from the body fat that they get ultra clear skin? In any case, their perfect skin is not an indicator of good health as it can't be healthy to be that overweight.

my boyfriend is overweight. and his skin is fine...it just gets oily and you can see his pores. but no acne! lucky him.

Of course, I've seen a few fat people with acne but a lot of time, they do have smooth baby skin.

That bugs me a little. I have one of the healthiest lifestyles I know of among my friends and still my skin looks like shit. Someone can get drunk all the time, smoke, eat crap and have clear skin still.

I know I benefit and will benefit in other ways, but ...

Do people fit these?

1. You are thin, no matter how much you eat.

2. If you don't eat well for a couple of days (say due to illness) you loose weight

3. If you suffer from mild allergies (not severe ones because allergic reactions are due to a sudden burst of histamine due to an irregular immune responce to something and not a continuously raised histamine level)

4. If bright lights make you sneeze

5. If you suffer from occasional bouts of depression and irregular mood, and energy levels

6. If food is always a consideration, because you cant go without food food too long or else suffer severe hunger pains.

Ah, I remember reading that entire thread last year. Very interesting. I am a dead ringer for all the requirments, especially the bright lights one....that kinda freaked me out because I thought it was just me. The sun usually makes me sneeze like crazy if I go outside from a dark room. I found that Benadryl really helped cut down inflammation.

Not sure about obese men, but for women, body fat affect estrogen levels.

So this is my guess, as I've noticed that skin is usually flawless when i have 10 more pounds on me.

When body fat is too low, estrogen drops too, which leaves more free testosterone.

Androgens of course contribute to acne.

But I personally would rather be thin :-(

women with more fat, are more "prepared" for pragnancy than women without (enough) fat. i think its a mechanism, that woman who have fat reserves, can feed a baby better and thus get more copious?! -> ostrogene. males usually prefer a rather "female" body shape, that means, not so skinny

just a guess