Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sammy1

broken veins/bloodvessels?

does anyone else have red marks on thir face. not necessarily from spots but like broken bloodvessels and veins?

nothin gets them away

is ther some kind of laser treatment to deal with this!

i feel like an old lady with broken veins all over my cheeks im only 15!

Hi. I had these as well (I am older than you-but definitely not an "old lady"!). But, these veins can occur in younger people too. And I have a friend who got them when she was younger than you are. Laser surgery works great for facial veins. I had almost no bruising or anything afterwards, I was able to put make-up on right away. Most of the veins went away immediately after the surgery, a couple spots took a little longer to fade. I was very happy with the overall results though.

I'm 18 with acne and also have ANNOYING broken veins/bloodvessels around the side of my nose... Its really embarrassing. Had this problem since I was 11. :cry: I would consider Laser treatment but its very expensive! :confused: Does anything else work?

well if they're capillaries then maybe using a combo of aloe vera and other speed healing products... but im not too sure if it will completly fix them or not

My understanding is that these cannot be treated topically very well. I think the laser surgery is the only way to really get rid of them. Most of the time, these blood vessels are not actually broken, they are just visible under the skin. The best things for these is to prevent them. The practioner who did my laser surgery told me that cumulative sun exposure is the primary cause of these (probably the reason you see them more often in older people). So, wearing sunblock can help prevent these from forming in the first place, and you probably want to avoid tanning booths, etc. as this may make your skin more susceptible to developing more of these blood vessels.

The laser surgery is very effective. Shop around for prices - there is some variation in the cost. Make sure you go to a reputable clinic though. I did mine through Kaiser and I think it was cheaper than some of the private clinics. Base cost was $150, plus an extra $1 for each zap of the laser. Total cost for me was $200.

My understanding is that these cannot be treated topically very well. I think the laser surgery is the only way to really get rid of them. Most of the time, these blood vessels are not actually broken, they are just visible under the skin. The best things for these is to prevent them. The practioner who did my laser surgery told me that cumulative sun exposure is the primary cause of these (probably the reason you see them more often in older people). So, wearing sunblock can help prevent these from forming in the first place, and you probably want to avoid tanning booths, etc. as this may make your skin more susceptible to developing more of these blood vessels.

The laser surgery is very effective. Shop around for prices - there is some variation in the cost. Make sure you go to a reputable clinic though. I did mine through Kaiser and I think it was cheaper than some of the private clinics. Base cost was $150, plus an extra $1 for each zap of the laser. Total cost for me was $200.

Did you only need one session?

Yes - one session took care of most of it (I still have a few tiny veins on the side of my nose, but they aren't that noticable). Sometimes it does require more than one treatment, it depends on the number/size of the veins being treated. I actually had 2 spider anigomas (capillaries that look like a red dot with tiny "legs" around them). These had gotten bigger and darker over the last 2 years, I could barely cover them with makeup, they usually showed right through. These were gone with one laser session - I was really surprised. Although, I imagine I will have to go back and get this done again in the future, if I am prone to developing these.

I always get them if i've been really sick and throwing up. They take awhile to go away too.

You know, I developed most of mine after a nasty bout of food posioning (which involved frequent vomiting for several hours) in January. Interesting to hear that there might be a connection between this and the blood vessels development. The nurse practioner who did my surgery said there was no connection, but who knows - there might be!

Its also the time my current skin problems started - kind of weird that it all happened at once.

I have a big spot on my cheekbone and i feel your pain. I havent got around to the laser surgery yet but I had a friend who had it done on his nose and it did an excellent job. It's not cheap but it definatley works.

I have broken capillaries all over my nose and it makes me look like a freakin' lush. I'm sure people think I'm a life long drunk. I don't even drink. So what is it about alcoholics and their red noses? What causes this with them?

I have broken capillaries all over my nose and it makes me look like a freakin' lush. I'm sure people think I'm a life long drunk. I don't even drink. So what is it about alcoholics and their red noses? What causes this with them?

I believe it is somehow related to liver damage in alcoholics.

I had broken capillaries on my nose too. Laser treatment was extremely effective in banishing them!

The redness and broken vessels - that "drunken-lush" look - described sound like symptoms of roseacea. I have roseacea and acne/cystic acne, and the soaps and topicals normally used for acne makes the roseacea worse! The only thing that's safely worked for my acne was a month-long course of doxycycline, and the clear skin was a side effect (I was taking it for Lyme disease). As soon as I stopped it, within a month all the acne was back. A lot of people think they have acne when they actually have roseacea or both.

Broken capillaries aren't always a sign of rosecea though. The clinician that did my laser surgery said they are often caused by cumulative sun damage. If you have no other rosecea signs, then sun exposure might be the cause. I'm not exactly a sunbather, but I am a fair-skinned redhead (and when I was little, nobody put sunscreen on their kids unless you were going to be outside all day - tanning with baby oil was still the norm!). So, all the sun damage from my childhood and the few years of adulthood where I tried to get a tan have just added up and led to the broken capillaries.

i actually ave some broken cappillarties on my sides of my nose and chin .. i believe mine is from me being stupid at like 14 - 16 and constantly squeezing pimples/blackheads.. some were red marks and have faded but the capillaries havent and im at such a loss!!!!!!!! i can afford topicals but not laser treatment id like to but i know that isnt happening any time soon.

I got my surgery done through Kaiser. It was around $200 (and it got rid of everything in 1 session!) - so it wasn't outrageously expensive. And it was worth every cent!!! Hurt like hell though....

I feel your pain. I am eighteen but got my first noticeable broken blood vessel when I was EIGHT!!! Of course, it didn't just "appear," I had gone to a Halloween party at the Moose Lodge and dressed up like Cleopatra- makeup and all. Well, I had school the next day, where I had gotten in trouble once before for wearing tinted Chapstick, so my mom over-rubbed my eye area to get off all the eye makeup rather than have me get in trouble. The result was a big, fat broken blood vessel that didn't go away for years and years.

I have noticed since I have become a teenager that these annoying little blood vessels have been appearing all around my nose, cheek, and jaw area; though it hasn't been too noticeable until recently. I went to a dermatologist and apparantly have rosacea, which is absolutely swell since I just got rid of the acne :wall: . Even better, this "rosacea" might be an indicator of lupus (for me personally, so don't freak out about yourselves), but I already posted the details of that on another forum. Right now, I'm just going to think happy thoughts of Kaiser zapping these nasty little suckers as soon as possible.

Some things I avoid when possible to prevent my condition from worsening:

1) Heat (which includes steam)

2) Sun (don't like it much anyway)

3) Sweating (irritates my skin)

4) Excersizing for long periods of time (I break it up during the day)

5) Products with known skin irritants in them (PM me for a list of the most common ones)