Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkSideOfTheMoon

I start Accutane tomorrow

I had a derm appointment yesterday, and he put me on 20mg a day to stop my oil and clear my mild to moderate case of acne up. I understand its a pretty low dose. He said for my body weight to treat a bad case of acne he would use 60mg.(I weigh around 120 pounds) I asked him if I could bump it up to 40mg a day after the first month, and he said we would decide that at my next appointment, in a month. So...has anyone had any luck with mild to moderate acne at this dose? Also I would like to know how long it took to clear up your oil and clear up your skin...thank you!

try and upload a picture of your skin condition...as the word 'mild' has a wide range of interpretation.

personally, i am seeing a derm next week in anticipation in receiving accutane for my mild, yet very chronic, acne and i was simply wondering the condition of your skin.

try and upload a picture of your skin condition...as the word 'mild' has a wide range of interpretation.

personally, i am seeing a derm next week in anticipation in receiving accutane for my mild, yet very chronic, acne and i was simply wondering the condition of your skin.

Alright, I will do that tomorrow, I can't find my camera. I was also wondering about washing my face with/using salicylic acid products(2.0%)...is this okay to do while on Accutane? My derm told me to lay off benzoyl peroxide and stick with normal moisturizing soaps but I forgot to ask him about salicylic acid products as they seem to help clear my skin up. I will also likely be making a journal to keep a log of my progress...thanks.

Alright, I will do that tomorrow, I can't find my camera. I was also wondering about washing my face with/using salicylic acid products(2.0%)...is this okay to do while on Accutane? My derm told me to lay off benzoyl peroxide and stick with normal moisturizing soaps but I forgot to ask him about salicylic acid products as they seem to help clear my skin up. I will also likely be making a journal to keep a log of my progress...thanks.

Personally speaking, and as a rule of thumb, a medicated wash (ie. salicyclic acid, benzoyl peroxide, triclosan, etc.) is not recommended whilst on accutane. Even though it might not appear to be that drying, the drying effect of the accutane drug itself most not be underestimated and it is believed these medicated cleansers often do more harm than good.

If I were you, I'd stick with a mild, soap-free cleanser such as Cetaphil or one of the many generic varieties. Good luck and remember to apply atleast SPF 15 every day - even when it's cloudy!

hey from your description i have the same mild acne very oily skin. On 20 mg i definlty saw a improvment not clear but better when i was uped to 40 it got way better for me on 20 i saw my oil was pretty much gone with no dryness. O and by the way pink floyd is one of my fav bands thats pretty much why i responded to you feel special

yeah i had about the same dosage. 20mg one day and 40mg every other day. its cleared me up good and it stopped me from being oily but i never got dry enough to need to moistrize everyday, just needed chapstick for my lips. i started to see results after about 2 to 3 months. it will work for you.

I started accutane 2 weeks ago, 20mg a day for a month. I weigh about 155lbs, I have pretty severe cystic/nodular acne on my upper back and mild spots on my face. I found out this was a low dose after talking with freinds, The dermatologist said that it is best to start low and build up to prevent scarring. So far my back has really dried up and breakouts arent nearly as frequent, my face is completely clear.. so hopefully you'll see results as quickly as i did..

hey darkisde, ya roger is one of mine too by the way hes perforoming at the hollywood bowl soon i hear might wana check that out, dont know how to measure it in kg but i weigh between 140 145 pounds

I had a derm appointment yesterday, and he put me on 20mg a day to stop my oil and clear my mild to moderate case of acne up. I understand its a pretty low dose. He said for my body weight to treat a bad case of acne he would use 60mg.(I weigh around 120 pounds) I asked him if I could bump it up to 40mg a day after the first month, and he said we would decide that at my next appointment, in a month. So...has anyone had any luck with mild to moderate acne at this dose? Also I would like to know how long it took to clear up your oil and clear up your skin...thank you!

If you have milder acne, 20mg's sounds like a nice dose to start you off for this treatment. If you feel that your skin might respond better to a higher dosage then notify your derm during your next appointment. I think I might do that myself. I'm currently on 40mg's a day and I weigh 100lbs and have mild to moderate acne. I'm thinking of asking my derm to raise me up a bit.

Also, during your Accutane treatment, never use any face washes, or any other skin care treatment that is used purposely for the treatment of acne. You'll only do your skin a lot more harm than good. Your skin is very fragile while on this medication. You'll higher your chances of scarring. To illustrate how fragile our skin is while on this med: 1) I love to take luke warm baths. I'll soak in them for a half hour or so. Before treatment, I could soak in a warm bath and come out with my skin looking fine, my entire body skin looking fine. On Accutane, my face turns really red and so does my body. It looks as if I stayed out in the sun for a long time. Therefore, I can't take those really warm baths anymore because my skin is so sensitive because of this med. Plus, I noticed my scratches heal very very slowly and they leave scars behind.

I used to use skin care products that had sal. acid in them. They only made my skin worse I believe, and made them peel, get irritated and made them worse. It made my skin so dry in the areas I used it, that it produced more oil to come into my skin to heal those dry patches.

Stick with the soothing soaps like Dove or Cetaphil. I'm sure that's what your doctor prescribed. Listen to what your doctor says. And never use BP while on this drug as well. Just allow Accutane to do its job and allow your skin to heal naturally, without the aid of any topical meds.

PS. I noticed something else... in your regimen, you said you use a facial cream, or something to that extent that has Vitamin A in it. You shouldn't use any product that has vitamin A in it since you're taking super high dosages of it i Accutane. That can be lethal.

Good luck :)

Thank you for all your replys everyone, I really appreciate them and you are all very helpful. I started Accutane today :D...and I have also started an Accutane log which you can find here. I uploaded a few pictures which you can find in my gallery. Thank you all again!

Goodluck with the accutane! I'm 17 years old and on my 5th and final month of accutane treatment -- I had mild to moderate acne going into things like yourself. Judging from your gallery pictures my acne was pretty similiar but probably a little bit worse than yours is now. I started out on 40mg daily for the first month and then went to 80mg. There have been a lot of side effects (very dry skin all over, especially dry and red face, very dry/peeling lips, dry nostrils/nosebleeds, joint soreness, dry eyes, and so on...) but I am SO glad I decided to go on it. I tried various tetracycline antibiotics and creams but had an incomplete response to them. My skin never looked terrible and I never had nodular/cystic acne but I was sick of constantly applying creams and taking pills that didn't significantly improve things. I never really got severe breakouts but there were seemingly always a few noticable bad spots.

I wouldn't recommend using any OTC acne treatments while on accutane but with your low dose you could probably get away with it without TOO much dryness. I find oxypads to be useful from time to time myself. My acne is virtually completely cleared up (just a few fading red marks are left) and I'm looking forward to life after acne and after the side efffects of accutane. My advice to you is just to be prepared for the possible side effects and invest in a good oil-free moisturizer. The upcoming months may be a little difficult but in many cases the end results will be worth it, trust me!

Double J - I have mild-moderate acne and oily skin. Similarly, my acne has never been severe or nodular, but I always feel terrible about it. It makes me so insecure. I went to the derm a few weeks ago and he decided to prescribe Accutane ( I'm so sick of the antibiotics, creams, topicals, retinoids that don't work for me!). I go in this week for my 2nd pregnancy test and bloodwork and I should be starting tane the next week. I'm a little nervous, but I can't wait! I figure if I'm so unhappy with my skin now, I might as well try anything to help, right?

Can you recommend any really good oil-free moisturizers? What about a good sunscreen? Would you suggest taking Vitamin E, fish-oil supplements, etc? Thanks so much!

I Hate Acne! -

Goodluck to you! As far as moisterurizers go, anything that is OIL-FREE should do the trick. I use Neutrogina myself but Purpose and Cetaphil are also popular. Same goes for the sunscreen, oil-free is the way to be! I'd recommend an SPF of over 15 too.

I take a multivitamin and fish-oil/omega 3 fatty acids daily, although be aware that taking vitamin A will potentiate the effects of Accutane. You will also probably want to a stronger, oil-based moisturizer to use on parts of your body that aren't prone to break outs. For example, my hands get VERY dry and I start to get rashes unless I remember to apply lotion.

Other than that, just remember than Accutane treatment is a process and don't expect overnight results. Your skin might get worse before it gets better and the side effects might be bothersome, but keep your eye on the prize and most likely you will be very happy your skin. :)

Double J...you said your acne was a little worse than mine...just wondering how much you weigh, because I weigh around 120lbs and 20mg is supposed to work wonders for my skin...only changing to 40mg if I need to...thanks.

I'm 6'4, 180 lbs. 80mg/day is almost exactly 1mg/kg for me which is what my dermatologist said is the best dose for long-lasting results without rediculous side effects.