Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pinky8713

Which moisturizer?

Alright, so i just started the CSR yesterday. I have mild acne on my chin, whiteheads, that's about it. I have a cleanser, 2.5% bp cream, and some moisturizers. The two moisturizers i have are 1) Clean And Clear oil free dual action moisturizer (salicylic acid acne medication) 2) Aveeno positively radiant moisturizing lotion. The aveeno was pretty damn expensive, though it doesn't say it's exactly a face moisturizer. I'm not sure if it matters. And i'm not sure if the Clean And Clear is any good. Are either of these good to use or do i need to purchase something else? Thanks for the help.

I'd not use the Clean and Clear one because it has SA in it. If that Aveeno product is oil-free and non-comedogenic and nonmedicated, it could be fine. But I don't recall anyone with experience using that one here.

If you decide to use it, let us know how it goes.

Otherwise, you can try Neutrogena oil-free or Cetaphil face lotion, or if you can find Eucerin Skin Renewal it's the best, but becoming harder to find.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm not sure if this Aveeno is oil free and non-comedogenic. I don't think it says on here, but i may try it for a few days and then get a new moisturizer if need be.

I've got the Clean & Clear one (actually, the Target knock-off of it). It's a pretty shitty moisturizer, actually. I only use it because it's so cheap and hasn't compromised my results, though I don't know if that would be the case for most people. The amount of SA in the Clean & Clear moisturizer is pretty low (0.5%), but it's still a pretty drying moisturizer. People with really oily skin who hate the feeling of moisturizer would probably love it, but definitely don't use it if you have really dry skin and want your skin to feel moisturized. It's not a horrible product, but it's far from ideal for someone just starting out on BP. I think I experienced more dryness and flaking than I needed to as a result of using that moisturizer twice a day. Now I only use it at night because it has no SPF protection and BP makes your skin particularly vulnerable to sun damage. I'm pretty happy with the Clean & Clear Morning Glow moisturizer, though, which has no SA in it and leaves my skin much softer--though using it while you still have active acne on your face is a bad idea since it is shimmery and will draw attention to your skin more.

I looked up the Aveeno product that you got, and it appears to be a body moisturizer, though they do have positively radiant face moisturizers with SPF 15 and 30. Body moisturizers tend to be very rich and contain ingredients that might make your arms and legs look nice and soft, but will also break out the skin on your face. It's possible that it will work, but you're better off returning it and getting one of Dan's recommended moisturizers instead or at the very least an Aveeno face moisturizer.