Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tiger lily

New to Acne.org - please help me with my regimen

Hello all

I'm relatively new to acne.org and the regimen here. I've been following it for a week and have seem most of my acne completely disappear. I've been using Duac (2/3 of a finger in the morning and evening), Neutrogena Healthy Skin with SPF 15 in the day and Neutrogena Oil Free Moisture in the evening. I'm thrilled with how clear I am, but horrified by how dry and WRINKLED I am now. I never had these wrinkles before, they've all cropped up in the last few days. I try to keep the BP away from my eyes, but for whatever reason, my skin around my eyes and the tops of my cheeks is so freaking dry, I look like I'm 90 years old.

I've got a nearly full tube of Differen at home, I'm wondering if I should maybe swap out the B.P. in the evening for the Differen, just to alleviate some of the dryness (and maybe get rid of my sea hag wrinkles). Does anyone have any ideas? Different moisturizers? Cleansers? Argh. I've ordered Dan's BP, hoping it will be a little gentler on my skin than the Duac (which is 5% BP), but I'm kind of at loss. Zits or wrinkles --- not really appealing tradeoffs.

As for me, I'm 33 and have had pretty clear skin my whole life (some mild acne on my forehead when I was 13, but that cleared up with a few months of Retin-A. I've been clear ever since) until spring of last year. I switched to the birth control patch and my face broke out. It never cleared up, despite me trying a few different pills and finally going off them all together. The CSR is the only thing that has improved my face acne wise, but I'm not going to be able to stick with it if the dry skin wrinkles don't get sorted out.

I really appreciate any advice anyone has for me :)

Duac is a prescription product and not meant to be used in the amount that Dan recommends. That is probably why you are getting so dry and wrinkly. How did your derm recommend you use the duac when it was prescribed?

If you want to do Dan's regimen, look for a 2.5% bp product.

Brandy is absolutely right ... sounds like you are mixing apples and oranges!

If you are going to do the regimen, use Dan's gel.

Or you can do Duac in the AM and Differin at night (or vice versa) but you should only use the recommended amounts of each.

And since you are so dry right now, you should probably take a day or two off to let your skin recover before using any more active products.

Brandy is absolutely right ... sounds like you are mixing apples and oranges!

If you are going to do the regimen, use Dan's gel.

Or you can do Duac in the AM and Differin at night (or vice versa) but you should only use the recommended amounts of each.

And since you are so dry right now, you should probably take a day or two off to let your skin recover before using any more active products.

I was prescribed differin at night, duac in the morning. You just need a thin coat of both. After clearing up, a stopped with the duac and am still clear. The differin is not drying at all.