Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amytmcg

Duricef!! and Doryx tanning questions!!!

Has anyone use this...Im only 5 weeks into my Doryx treatment and now my derm wants to switch me to Duricef becuase I leave for Mexico and she is concerned about sunsensitivty. I dont want to give up on the Doryx however, and I didnt tell my derm, but I have gone to the tanning bed a few times before taking my dose of Doryx and didnt burn. Wonder if that means I would be fine in sunlight?? Ugh, I also am scared of starting a new med while on vacation because of a sever reaction you can have if you are allergic to Duricef...Has anyone even used this for acne?? I googled it and seems more for strep throat and urinary tract infections. Help, Im so stressed that I am now not even looking forward to my much awaited vacation that starts this Sunday:(

Why is Duricef prescribed?

Duricef, a cephalosporin antibiotic, is used in the treatment of nose, throat, urinary tract, and skin infections that are caused by specific bacteria, including staph, strep, and E. coli.

Most important fact about Duricef

If you are allergic to either penicillin or cephalosporin antibiotics in any form, consult your doctor before taking Duricef. An allergy to either type of medication may signal an allergy to Duricef; and if a reaction occurs, it could be extremely severe. If you take the drug and feel signs of a reaction, seek medical attention immediately.

How should you take Duricef?

Take Duricef exactly as prescribed. It is important that you finish all of it to obtain the maximum benefit.

Duricef may be taken with or without food. If the drug upsets your stomach, you may find that taking it with meals helps to relieve the problem.

If you are taking the liquid suspension, shake it thoroughly before each use.

--If you miss a dose...

Take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, and you take it once a day, take the one you missed and the next dose 10 to 12 hours later. If you take 2 doses a day, take the one you missed and the next dose 5 to 6 hours later. If you take it 3 or more times a day, take the one you missed and the next dose 2 to 4 hours later. Then go back to your regular schedule.

--Storage instructions...

Store capsules and tablets at room temperature. The liquid form should be kept in the refrigerator in a tightly closed bottle. Discard any unused medication after 14 days.

Duricef side effects

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Duricef.

Side effects may include:

Diarrhea, inflammation of the bowel (colitis), nausea, redness and swelling of skin, skin rash and itching, vaginal inflammation, vomiting

Why is Doryx prescribed?

Doxycycline is a broad-spectrum tetracycline antibiotic used against a wide variety of bacterial infections, including Rocky Mountain spotted fever and other fevers caused by ticks, fleas, and lice; urinary tract infections; trachoma (chronic infections of the eye); and some gonococcal infections in adults. It is an approved treatment for inhalational anthrax. It is also used with other medications to treat severe acne and amoebic dysentery (diarrhea caused by severe parasitic infection of the intestines).

Doxycycline may also be taken for the prevention of malaria on foreign trips of less than 4 months' duration.

Occasionally doctors prescribe doxycycline to treat early Lyme disease and to prevent "traveler's diarrhea." These are not yet officially approved uses for Doryx.

Most important fact about Doryx

Generally, children under 8 years old and women in the last half of pregnancy should not take Doryx. It may cause developing teeth to become permanently discolored. (However, children under 8 may be given Doryx for inhalational anthrax.)

How should you take Doryx?

Take doxycycline with a full glass of water or other liquid to avoid irritating your throat or stomach. Doxycycline can be taken with or without food. However, if the medicine does upset your stomach, you may wish to take it with a glass of milk or after you have eaten.

Doxycycline tablets should be swallowed whole. If you have difficulty swallowing pills, you can take Doryx by opening the capsule and sprinkling the entire contents onto a spoonful of cool, soft applesauce. Be careful not to spill any of the contents. If you do, you will not be able to use this dose and will have to start over with a new mixture. Swallow the mixture immediately, without chewing, followed by a cool 8-ounce glass of water. Discard the mixture if you are not able to use it immediately; do not store it to use later.

Your doctor will only prescribe doxycycline to treat a bacterial infection; it will not cure a viral infection, such as the common cold. It's important to take the full dosage schedule of doxycycline, even if you're feeling better in a few days. Not completing the full dosage schedule may decrease the drug's effectiveness and increase the chances that the bacteria may become resistant to doxycycline and similar antibiotics.

If you are taking an oral suspension form of doxycycline, shake the bottle well before using. Do not use outdated doxycycline.

--If you miss a dose...

Take the forgotten dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for the next dose, put it off for several hours after taking the missed dose. Specifically, if you are taking one dose a day, take the next one 10 to 12 hours after the missed dose. If you are taking two doses a day, take the next one 5 to 6 hours after the missed dose. If you are taking three doses a day, take the next one 2 to 4 hours after the missed dose. Then return to your regular schedule.

--Storage instructions...

Doxycycline can be stored at room temperature. Protect from light and excessive heat.

Doryx side effects

Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking doxycycline.

Side effects may include:

Angioedema (chest pain; swelling of face, around lips, tongue and throat, arms and legs; difficulty swallowing), bulging foreheads in infants, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing, discolored teeth in infants and children (more common during long-term use of tetracycline), inflammation of the tongue, loss of appetite, nausea, rash, rectal or genital itching, severe allergic reaction (hives, itching, and swelling), skin sensitivity to light, vomiting