Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dejaclairevoyant

REGIMEN NO LONGER WORKS!

When I first started the regimen, I thought I had finally found what would save my skin.

It cleared me up so well..and when I got new zits they were gone within a day or two.

This went on for months..things were going so well.

Now, like with all the other treatments Ive ever tried, It seems my skin has gotten

used to BP and its NO LONGER WORKING. Im so depressed I dont know what to do.

Over the last couple months, the zits have increased slowly and so has their healing

time. I am still following the regimen guidelines exactly and nothing else has changed

(diet, stress levels, etc). Now my skin is like it was before I started the regimen and

BP does NOTHING to heal the zits. Sure it mildly helps..but like I said..it doesnt kill

them and Im back to being covered in zits that take weeks to go away.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME? I thought your skin couldnt get "used" to BP but

mine has!!!! Someone please help...sometimes I wish I would just die..

:cry:

Well, your acne bacteria really can't get used to BP. Claiming otherwise is more or less like saying that humans can get used to bullets. Are you sure you're using as much as you were before, no product changes, nothing along those lines? I know lots of Proactiv users who do have initial success, for example, find that it stops working after a while. I don't know the reason why, but I think maybe your skin can develop a sensitivity to the nonactive ingredients like fragrance and such that irritate your skin and lead to more breakouts. I'm sure Brandy can get to the bottom of this.

When I first started the regimen, I thought I had finally found what would save my skin.

It cleared me up so well..and when I got new zits they were gone within a day or two.

This went on for months..things were going so well.

Now, like with all the other treatments Ive ever tried, It seems my skin has gotten

used to BP and its NO LONGER WORKING. Im so depressed I dont know what to do.

Over the last couple months, the zits have increased slowly and so has their healing

time. I am still following the regimen guidelines exactly and nothing else has changed

(diet, stress levels, etc). Now my skin is like it was before I started the regimen and

BP does NOTHING to heal the zits. Sure it mildly helps..but like I said..it doesnt kill

them and Im back to being covered in zits that take weeks to go away.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING TO ME? I thought your skin couldnt get "used" to BP but

mine has!!!! Someone please help...sometimes I wish I would just die..

:cry:

hi... i'm sorry you're going through all this. sounds really difficult, and i know how you feel. i've only only been on the Regimen for a few weeks now... but your posting caught my attention because i'm worried the same thing will happen to me a few months down the road, too (as it did on Proactiv).

2 things that popped into my mind, maybe to consider:

1. i hear that sometimes manufacturers can change (add or eliminate) ingredients in their products, like cleansers, moisturizers, etc. -- without saying so on the label. i.e. sparking some spontaneous skin reaction to a previously trustworthy product. is it possible that right around the time when your skin changed, you had opened a new bottle of moisturizer (though same brand), or started a new bottle of cleanser?

2. you said you began the Regimen months ago... could this be a reaction to a seasonal change? perhaps you need to adjust your moisturizer levels? (or, have you traveled anywhere humid or colder recently?)

just a few ideas to toss around... maybe if you/we can get to the bottom of this via process of elimination!

on a sidenote, is there anyone else besides dan, who has been on this Regimen for more than 3, 4, 5 years or so? just curious if anyone else has had the Reg just "stop working" (without changing behavior) after an extended period...

Well, your acne bacteria really can't get used to BP. Claiming otherwise is more or less like saying that humans can get used to bullets.

Most certainly. BP hasn't stopped working, it's definitely something else.

DejaClaire, I experienced the exact same frustration a couple of weeks ago. The regimen stopped working for me after being clear for more than 4 weeks, and my acne seemed to come back even worse than before. However I was able to pinpoint the cause and managed to get it fixed.

There has to be something in your routine that has changed and you haven't noticed. Maybe you're still strictly following the guidelines, but what about the products? And even if you haven't changed them, like clear dream said, maybe something in the ingredients changed? You could start there.

BP will ALWAYS kill the bacteria as long as it's properly absorbed into the skin. If the soap or cleanser you're using clogges your pores, it'll prevent BP from reaching deeper zones.

The regimen cleared me up by week 4, while I was using Benoxyl 2.5%. At some point I decided to "save a few bucks" so I switched to a cheaper BP brand (Benzac AC Gel 2.5%). It worked well for a few days, then I started breaking out with huge papules and pustules. That BP product claims to be gel based, but it's more creamy and thicker. Somehow, it wasn't absorbing properly even though it seemed that it did. Also, I felt it lighter than Benoxyl... less "potent", so to speak. :confused:

Maybe something similar happened to you. If you changed products or their ingredients changed and you didn't notice, the accumulative effect is now resulting in those current breakouts.

But, again, acne bacteria cannot develop immunity to BP, as it doesn't act like antibiotics. I'm sure that the cause is definitely related to something that you're doing or the products you're using rather than to resistance to BP.

Good luck.

Everyone pretty much knows the drill by now, lol.

Let us know the exact products you are using and exactly how you are using them. Don't leave any details out.

also think back to when you WERE clear on the Regimen, did you add/change anything after that?

Let us know the exact products you are using and exactly how you are using them. Don't leave any details out.

also think back to when you WERE clear on the Regimen, did you add/change anything after that?

I failed to acknowledge that Brandy helped me and gave me support when I was going through that last difficult time... she's the the best, THE BEST! :D

So you should listen to her! :)

(and I stole I few lines from her :P ...what she advices actually works! :clap: )

I failed to acknowledge that Brandy helped me and gave me support when I was going through that last difficult time... she's the the best, THE BEST! :D

So you should listen to her! :)

(and I stole I few lines from her :P ...what she advices actually works! :clap: )

A great many of us have expereienced the "Not working" period of the Regimen. Probably you have altered a segment of the regimen without even realizing it.

Always remember to go gentle. And a BIG tip: Only ever ut a little BP on yr fingertip to rub in.Like dipping a quill in a little ink. Don't slather it on.Bet you a dollar this works. :)

Thanks guys. Im using neutrogena healthy skin moisterizer. Since the eucerin kind is discontinued. BUt this was happening when I was using the eucerin too, so I dunno.

Yeah..I dunno if its that or not. I really dont know what else to use...Im furious because I LOVED the eucerin stuff and now its unavailable. :( A lot of lotions clump under my makeup so its hard to find a good one.

Ill try being extra gentle when applying my BP. Maybe Ive gotten less gentle over the months without noticing..I dont know.

hey, acne is a fake problem caused by the products you use, the more you use the more you look for some help from other products, its fake, when in history books do you see people with acne, it just started probably in the 60's. its caused by people putting crazy chemicals on their face, their face cant handle it and produces more oil because the poduct dries out the face. The best thing to do is just to splash your face with water 6 to 10 times, not rubbing it, and patting your face dry. of coarse with everything you probably will break out again but only because your face is getting used to it, but after that you wont see any more problems at all, not one more pimple , nothing, it only takes about a month to see major improvements. then after a while you can wash your face less and less, and the oilyness will go away too. i dont know if it works with all types of skin, but i had really bad acne and it worked right away. Acne is created to steal money from good people. havnt you noticed out of most people you probably wash your face more than people without acne? do you notice that the spots that you dont wash your face are the spots with the fewest acne and the spots that you wash your face the most have the most acne?

Of coarse people are always going to get occasional acne, maybe a pimple, but thats normal, every once in a great while it happens, espesually because of hormonal changes, but it is worstened by the products, what else do people know? they only know to buy acne products, they wouldnt think of just using water, because they think that acne is a result of their face being dirty, but its not, and its drying their face and messing everything up, i had acne forever, for a really long time, and right, and i mean right, when i stopped using the products, it cleared up, probably a month and they were all gone. so dont believe me, its your loss, im just letting people know what happened with me. never in the history of mans evolution have we been exposed to these chemicals like we have now, its not natural, and it shows, its so obveouse. our body wouldnt have evolved to make us look bad because we're trying to impress the opposite sex to reproduce, and we always only had water, now we all use soap and it messes up our face. its just so obveouse. you guys are still looking for what is the miracle product, oh what is it, well im telling you what worked for me

sorry moses but il have to say that was quite bad advice

acne is produced when sebum is released from the pores....

splashing water isnt gonna do...... ANYTHING at all......

Acne is created to steal money from good people

A lot of lotions clump under my makeup so its hard to find a good one.

hi deja -- the fact that you said you use makeup really stood out to me! i want to again make my point of the whole "ingredient changes you may not have noticed," simply because makeup introduces a whole slew of new possibilities to the equation. i personally have not used makeup of any type at all since starting the reg (a few weeks ago), because i needed to know if the reg would work on its own, and then later introduce products. moses may be coming at it with a little extremism with his posts, but he does make a good point: the more products you introduce to your skin, the higher the potential to irritate it.

let me pose a few questions:

1. even though you've maintained the exact same CSR for all these months, have you changed your makeup products?

2. have the ingredients IN the makeup (which for most makeup, is a damned long list! :) ) changed?

3. layers (i.e. foundation + concealer + powder) may clog pores. have you added layers in your makeup use?

4. are you using oil-free products?

i haven't found my perfect makeup solution yet myself... still experimenting, but really glad to have found the CSR and dan's suggestion of oil-free products. can't believe i hadn't considered it before, and i think it would make a huge difference. regarding the moisturizer i use, it already has; even plain old cetaphil lotion (supposedly "gentle" and simple and hypoallergenic and all that crap) used to break me out like crazy.

for me, i don't exactly see the CSR (cleansing + BP + moisturizer) as foolproof if followed exactly... more as an excellent start to a well-rounded acne management attitude. maybe like the equivalent of how dieting alone isn't the way to lose weight. i recently bought this book for my mom that talks about how lasting weight loss (as opposed to yo-yo dieting) involves a full lifestyle change, including exercising & changing the WAY you eat/snack times, etc. as this applies to the CSR -- even if you follow it exactly, it's still very important to do the other things (some of which dan suggests), like not touching the face during the day, cleaning your pillowcases regularly, and being mindful of additional steps/products introduced (such as makeup).

i feel your pain though -- it's such a catch-22, not only having acne, but having to wonder if the very products we use to help minimize its appearance, are propagating the problem! :wall:

Thanks guys. Im using neutrogena healthy skin moisterizer. Since the eucerin kind is discontinued. BUt this was happening when I was using the eucerin too, so I dunno.

That product is very strong, your skin might be rebelling due to it.

Which cleanser and bp are you using?

Are you using the full amount of bp?

Also read here.

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

You need to think back to which products you were using when you were remaining clear.

I personally was using proactiv products years ago.. it worked well for a while and then it stopped working.. Maybe the severity or the type of acne change a bit with time and those products become less effective...

Deja,

Please take some time and reply with what Brandy requested. Let us know exactly what you're doing and be very detailed. Also, reply please to what you've read on the biggestmistakes page.

Dan

It's kind of like shampooing your hair, it's better to mix it up once in awhile. Sounds like you need to move onto a different regiment...bummer...

*edited by moderator*

Heya,

I just found and signed up to this about 1/2 hour ago. Im not sure where you guys are from, but im from Australia.

I would like to recommend going on specific forms of the contraception pill (in addition to the regimen). I had to do this at a very young age as NOTHING would clear up my skin for an extended period of time. I used to have weeks where my skin would peel off in big flakes because the gels such as Differin were far too strong.

Really good pills that i have been on are Diane 35 and yasmin (they may have different names in different countries though), also the ULTRACEUTICALS products are fantastic for repairing damaged skin (expensive tho).

Hopefully this can help someone

tess

Well, your acne bacteria really can't get used to BP. Claiming otherwise is more or less like saying that humans can get used to bullets. Are you sure you're using as much as you were before, no product changes, nothing along those lines? I know lots of Proactiv users who do have initial success, for example, find that it stops working after a while. I don't know the reason why, but I think maybe your skin can develop a sensitivity to the nonactive ingredients like fragrance and such that irritate your skin and lead to more breakouts. I'm sure Brandy can get to the bottom of this.

This isn't actually true. I don't know enough about the bacteria involved in acne but all bacteria can become resistant to drugs. Which is why there is so many problems now with antiobiotics and resistance. In theory you could become resitant to the BP solution if some of the bacteria become resistant to it.

^ but benzoyl peroxide is not an antibiotic.

It simply creates an oxygenated environment, in which acne bacteria cannot live in.

It is physically impossible for them to go from being anaerobic to aerobic organisms. That is what makes bp different from other bacteria-killing products. Bacteria cannot become resistant to that.

^ but benzoyl peroxide is not an antibiotic.

It simply creates an oxygenated environment, in which acne bacteria cannot live in.

It is physically impossible for them to go from being anaerobic to aerobic organisms. That is what makes bp different from other bacteria-killing products. Bacteria cannot become resistant to that.

oh cool. I didn't know that. Yeah that makes sense then.

Guest yahyah

Also...

Don't forget acne isn't some freak occurence - its a signal something is wrong, either with your diet or the products you use etc, or your 'bad' habits i.e. touching your face too much etc The regimen works, but its not a cure - you have to help it. For example, if i drink more than 2 cans of coke a day I'll break out - even with the regimen. If I eat alot of dairy or chocolate i'll break out even with the regimen.

So - think to yourself, what am I doing to undermine all my hard regimen / BP effort? Check out the diet forum and also just experiment yourself.. are you getting enough vitamins.. are you drinking enough water... are you being gentle enough with your skin.. is your make-up making things worse.. have you slacked off with the amount of moisturiser you use.. do you change your pillow case regular enough... do you smoke/drink?... etc...

unfortunately the cause isn't always the same between people... you might have to figure it out alone.. BUT the regimen works if you let it.