Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kermit

Kermits Roaccutane Diary

Day 1

Ive been put on a really low dose of 20mg/day as although I thought I was bad im not as bad as many of the other people that are on it, and in reflection would consider myself to have mild acne.

Well actually day one was yesterday.. and as its was day one .. nothing to report.. im sure this will get a bit more exciting as the times go on. Did anyone else just want the next day to come quicker so you could take your next dose lol ?

lol yeah i get what you mean, i like my pill taking process, feels like i'm one step further towards better skin! lol. and i have these tasty chewable vitamin E and C tablets that are really ncie lol.

Hope your roaccutane goes well :)

Thx ! im glad im not the only one then ! :dance:

Day 2

Okay so ive just popped the 2nd pill, all going well so far.. may the next 4 months be this easy :razz:

Off to the gym now ..

Well I also start on Accutane today. I got backnes. I saw a lot of opinions about this drug. Now I'm really concerned about the side-effects lol :D.. Anyway, I was given 10mg/day..

hi kermit,

I'm on 20mg too. I think it's my 85 day today.

Anyway good luck for your treatment.

All the best! ;)

Well I also start on Accutane today. I got backnes. I saw a lot of opinions about this drug. Now I'm really concerned about the side-effects lol :D.. Anyway, I was given 10mg/day..

I too was very concerned about the possible side effects of accutane, but I am 27 years old now and decided enough was enough. Im in the UK and tried to go through our NHS (as it would only cost me about £5 per prescription) but after getting an appointment for the dermatologist which was 6 months away I decided to go private and paid for it myself via BUPA.

On a scale of 1/10, 10 being the worst how bad would you say you are ?

hi kermit,

I'm on 20mg too. I think it's my 85 day today.

Anyway good luck for your treatment.

All the best! ;)

Hi cj83,

Ive been reading your log, thanks for the kind comments and I hope it all works out for you aswell ! I certainly is a long road ahead !

I too was very concerned about the possible side effects of accutane, but I am 27 years old now and decided enough was enough. Im in the UK and tried to go through our NHS (as it would only cost me about £5 per prescription) but after getting an appointment for the dermatologist which was 6 months away I decided to go private and paid for it myself via BUPA.

I am on the NHS thingy, and I got mine for free... lol. Though it was an amazingly long wait. Though being a student, I cannot really afford to go prive. Just out of interest, how much has does it cost for the privateness? And how long are waiting lists? The waiting list on the NHS was about 3 months for me anyhow, lol. Still is aaages.

Can you not take private prescriptions and claim them on the NHS? :think:

I'm 17, and I put my personal fears about the side effects to the side lol. Though atleast hopefully I will be clear by my 18th birthday when I can go out and get slaughtered without being paranoid that my skin is hideous.

I am on the NHS thingy, and I got mine for free... lol. Though it was an amazingly long wait. Though being a student, I cannot really afford to go prive. Just out of interest, how much has does it cost for the privateness? And how long are waiting lists? The waiting list on the NHS was about 3 months for me anyhow, lol. Still is aaages.

Can you not take private prescriptions and claim them on the NHS? :think:

I'm 17, and I put my personal fears about the side effects to the side lol. Though atleast hopefully I will be clear by my 18th birthday when I can go out and get slaughtered without being paranoid that my skin is hideous.

Im glad you got it on the NHS as it can be quite expensive, so far

£100 - Initial derm consultation

£80 - Followup derm consultation

£0 - Blood test were done via NHS (recommended by derm to save a bit ££)

£76 - 2 months supply of 20mg tabs, 2 x 30 pack @ £1.27 per tablet

I got another 2 months supply to pay for plus another derm consultation, but my derm says I can have the next one for free lol :lol:

Hope that helps break the costs of going private down a bit, as I said I have left it so long I didnt want to wait another 6 months for the derm to say sorry you can't have them (which im sure he would of) as the NHS reserve prescribing to only moderate to severe cases only.

Day 4

Another 20mg down the hatch, nothing yet

Day 5

Was out in the sun all day yesterday having a BBQ (no alchohol though :()and can feel it on my face, woke up this morning and my lips are feeling dry, unsure if that was all the sun yesterday or the tablets starting to take affect.

Damn thats quite expensive 8-) but I suppose if I was older and working then I'd have probably paid to go private...

And my experience of the derm was pretty much, your skin doesn't look that bad but your doctor refered you here so you need roaccutane... the lady didn't seem to give two shits whether roaccutane was gonna be ok for me, she just prescribed it and sent me on my way...

Damn thats quite expensive 8-) but I suppose if I was older and working then I'd have probably paid to go private...

And my experience of the derm was pretty much, your skin doesn't look that bad but your doctor refered you here so you need roaccutane... the lady didn't seem to give two shits whether roaccutane was gonna be ok for me, she just prescribed it and sent me on my way...

Ye its expensive but ultimately worth it I think. When I originally saw my NHS doctor for a refferal he also said basically "Your skin isnt that bad, in my opinion you would be wasting a dermatologists time and you wont ever get roaccutane" Nice eh !

On with the Diary

Day 6

Another tablet, noticed oil production on my face is almost ziltch ! My lips are starting to feel dry and so is my face !

Day 7

Okay skin is very dry, im combating that with face moisturiser and have been for a few days now, ive also got chapstick and vaseline for my lips and seems to be doing the trick as my lips now feel 'normal' again. I read that your not supposed to do strenous activity while on tane, but went to the gym last night and did an hour on the cross country trainer burning 650 cals. Dont feel any soreness today so thats good.

Day 8

Oh my god, im starting to peel on my nose, thats probably to do with getting too much sun on it though :(

Day 9

The dryness is setting in, im moisturising my face 2-3 times a day with Clarins for Men facial moisturiser... lips actually arent too bad just now.. they are only slightly affected and feel a little dry now and then. Went to see Little Britain live last night was fantastic, at least with my lips being okay just now I can still laugh ;)

Day 8

Oh my god, im starting to peel on my nose, thats probably to do with getting too much sun on it though :(

Day 9

The dryness is setting in, im moisturising my face 2-3 times a day with Clarins for Men facial moisturiser... lips actually arent too bad just now.. they are only slightly affected and feel a little dry now and then. Went to see Little Britain live last night was fantastic, at least with my lips being okay just now I can still laugh ;)

Lol how cool, little britain live. though some of the things they do are a little bit rank imo. lol.

And I've only had a few days of sun! where did you find this sun! :o lol. Surprised you need to moisturise so much ho hum... my skin is generally quite dry but I only need to moisturise my skin once a day after i wash, but I need to do my lips too...

Lol how cool, little britain live. though some of the things they do are a little bit rank imo. lol.

hi guys,

little britian is that this new comedy sensation from the isle I heard about???

Little Britain has been around for a couple years now.. got a few pics on my digi camera even although we werent allowed photography ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/

Day 10

Dryness on face is actually easing up a bit now, I think it got worse because of the sun I got (was last saturday btw was outside the whole day from 8.00 in the morning ;) ) Its actually nice not to have grease on my face for once. Lips arent too bad just now, managing to keep them feeling alright with just Lypsyl, I feel like a right pansy though.. in my rucksack I take with me everywhere I have :

Lypsyl

Vaseline (the vaseline is better than the Lypsyl but the lypsyl isnt shiney when applied so I prefer that when at work etc)

Clarins Men facial moisturiser

Optrex Dry Eyes Drops (brill stuff, havent really had dry eyes bad yet but this stuff makes you feel wide awake !)

Bepanthen Ointment (nappy rash cream lol, its for me tattoo.. honest)

Little Britain has been around for a couple years now.. got a few pics on my digi camera even although we werent allowed photography ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/

Day 10

Dryness on face is actually easing up a bit now, I think it got worse because of the sun I got (was last saturday btw was outside the whole day from 8.00 in the morning ;) ) Its actually nice not to have grease on my face for once. Lips arent too bad just now, managing to keep them feeling alright with just Lypsyl, I feel like a right pansy though.. in my rucksack I take with me everywhere I have :

Lypsyl

Vaseline (the vaseline is better than the Lypsyl but the lypsyl isnt shiney when applied so I prefer that when at work etc)

Clarins Men facial moisturiser

Optrex Dry Eyes Drops (brill stuff, havent really had dry eyes bad yet but this stuff makes you feel wide awake !)

Bepanthen Ointment (nappy rash cream lol, its for me tattoo.. honest)

I really struggly with putting eye drops in, so I haven't bothered yet.. My eyes haven't been too dry yet though so hopefully I won't have to... And yes it's nice to not have a looooaaaad of oil on your face :D.

Day 11 & Day 12

another couple tablets down the hatch. Dry skin and lips ensue and I think im getting a mini breakout... not too bad yet though.

Vaseline and the moisturiser seem to be keeping the worst of it at bay though.

Ok sorry Diary, havent updated you in a while.

Day 13/14/15

Well I have a very dry face, I am now at the stage where I really need vaseline on my lips for fear of cracking them if I yawn or something. Skin isnt too bad but skin is flaking a bit. A couple sore new spots on my back, face is not too bad at the moment, it did have a mini breakout but im managing.

Worst thing is i went to the gym a couple days ago and am really sore still from it. I dont normally get any pains after the gym. I know it says something in the guidlines for roaccutane about 'strenious activity' or something.. guess thats whats happening. I will give it a day more before I go back to the gym as I am supposed to be going tonight.

Good news is.. im past the 2 week marker !

Day 20

whoohoo 2nd blister pack down, :dance: 10 more to go :lol:

Havent really updated this diary as there wasnt much to report, had a sore back for an evening with no reasonable explanation. Just the usual dry lips and facial skin. Had a few spots from the breakout mentioned earlier, but they are just bumps that are sore to touch but they seem to have hanged around and not come to anything yet..

Another exciting breaking news report comming soon :shifty:

Thanks TG :)

Wow, its been a while since I updated this.

Things are going pretty good, heres an update of a few things that could be attributed to the accutane.

Today I have a sore back, havent done anything strenuos recently so dont know what that is. Previously I have had a few dizzy spells for no reason, and sometimes my eyes get really tired and dry. I have to apply vaseline to my lips regularly throughout the day but face moisturising is minimal (probably because of my lower dose)

I havent really been to the gym since the last time when I realised why they say on the packet "dont do any strenous activity" as it took me a week of sore muscles to recover :(

Got a blood test again tommorow, looking forward to that (sense the sarcasm ;) ) and then a derm appointment in a couple weeks, might ask him to up the dose a bit as I only have 2 months left of treatment.

Just to give you an update my face is almost completly clear, I had one new spot on my face a few days ago which is still here but that is the only active spot on my face, and its under my hair anyway so doesnt really get seen, I will hopefully post up some pics soon.

My back is worst just now as I seem to keep getting new ones (some sore) there but maybe it just takes longer to get to that area ? Oh I just thought I would add that the texture/feel of the skin on my face is unbelievable, what a difference it feels like a baby's bum now :D so smooth all over. One last thing for anyone going on accutane is heed the warnings about sunlight ! while taking tane I have noticed that red marks take longer to go away and my skin in general takes much longer to heal ! I managed to get sunburnt on my nose and lips and it wasnt pretty lol !

Hi kermit..

Yeah.. don't forget to use your lip moisturizer and eye drops..

This medicine really drying out everything in your body.. that's for sure.

It seems your progress is very good :D:D.

Hope your back is getting better very soon ^_^

Good luck

Corrine

Thanks, i can only imagine how bad it get for you guys on higher doses. My back isnt actually too bad just now, no new ones today or yesterday so yah !

Another little update,

So the sore back thing, it started on monday, and got much worse on tuesday to the point I was spending most of my time in my bed and couldnt move in bed without a lot of pain :( The only way I managed to keep going to work was by taking 2 x cocodomol in the morning (a strong painkiller), and then another later in the day to keep me going until I finished work.

On Tuesday I went for my blood test, the nurse was very good and could hardly feel it at all, didn't feel ill at all when she was taking the blood even though im a total hypocondraic when it comes to needles.

Thankfully today my back is at the annoying stage, I can go back to walking about and driving about etc with only the occasional reminder that its not fully repaired/healed. I was beginning to get worried last night as it actually affected my breathing, a deep breath would send sharp pains right through my back and chest.

Also recently I have been very tired, I am going to bed earlier, sleeping in late (for work) and also sleeping for a couple hours when I get home. Hopefully its just a temporary thing.

Some good news though, I was taking a course on Linux and had my exam last friday, I got my results through and im now a fully qualified RHCT !! (RedHat Certified Technician) :D

Yah !

Day 53 (i think)

Had my dermatolgist appointment last night, Gave him my blood test results which he was happy with and has proscribed me with my last 2 months supply. I feel my skin has totally changed complexion wise.. and I dont seem to worry so much about my face anymore .. its really nice to go out places without having to check the mirror, and clean a usually greasy face.

Bring on the next 2 months !

Day 53 (i think)

Had my dermatolgist appointment last night, Gave him my blood test results which he was happy with and has proscribed me with my last 2 months supply. I feel my skin has totally changed complexion wise.. and I dont seem to worry so much about my face anymore .. its really nice to go out places without having to check the mirror, and clean a usually greasy face.

Bring on the next 2 months !

Wow havent updated this page in ages, just a quick message to say that im down to the last few weeks of medication now.. im very pleased to say that I have no spots.. zilch.. nada..

I havent had any now for about a month lol ..

If your sitting reading this and spots are getting you down, go to you doc now and get it on the NHS ! if you have a bit of spare cash (probably need about £500 in total) book an appointment at BUPA NOW !! it is the best thing ive ever done.

SIDE NOTE: When it says on the packet, avoid long exposure to sunlight THEY MEAN IT !!! PMSL I accidently (not) spent some time out is the sun recently and for 4 days could do a brilliant impression of a lobster.

Stay out the sun, or pack on that sunblock !

Cheers !

Well this will be my last (and hopefully final) post in this thread.

Its now been 5 months since popping the last accutane tablet, and I am pleased to say that I have had one or two minor tiny spots (what you could probably call normal ! eg what any normal person would get) in those last 5 months.

I dont know if I should consider myself one of the lucky ones as ive heard of peoples acne flaring up again after stopping medication or not, but I do feel lucky now. I was very worried that the greasyness would return and to a certain extent it did, but it seems only so much as too keep my skin hydrated, I dont wipe my forehead and have shiny fingers because of the grease anymore :dance:

Good luck to all those that are about to start their accutane journey :D