Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all,

I'm one of those for whom constant moisurizing couldn't stop the excessive dry skin/flaking/scaling. So after 3 weeks I bought an AHA moisturizer.

The first time I put it on at night and like a miracle all flaking/dryness was gone the next morning. My skin had returned to its original softness and I was able to gain my confidence back.

This lasted for about 5 days. Afterwards my skin started getting dry again and became more sensitive to the AHA moisturizer. Now I'm back to where I started. Also I haven't changed my regime since. It looks like no overnight miracle is going to happen again and I'm worried I won't be able to get back my normal skin.

Anyone experienced something similar? Or even if you might have some idea what I could've done wrong?

all i can think of it is the amount moisterizer you are lacking and or the temperature of the water you are wasing with.if you use anything besides warm water you will become more dry all over your face.i go test the temp. by using my wrist, if it feals like anything more then warm on my wrist i know its too hot for my face.thats all i can think of :/

Which AHA product were you using? The trick is, use only enough to moisturize and keep flakes away, because using too much AHA can actually cause worse flaking. You have to find a happy medium with it. A mild product is best for daily use, just enough to keep flakes away without causing too much exfoliation.

i just started using neostrata ultra smoothing with aha, and u are rite the next day it looks great and the drying flakes are gone. ive only used it for a couple of days, but i think the other dude is rite, try using it once every day (at nite only) and not use too much.

aha is definately essential for clear skin, from what i can see so far. its the secret ingredient for this regimen.

Which AHA product were you using?

I used Neostrata Ultra Smoothing Lotion. But I think it was too much to use daily. Would a BHA be just as effective without the extreme exfoliation? I didn't realize that AHA doesn't really replace your normal moisturizer until now :\

I have a feeling I should have stopped using AHA after it cured my dryness and only use it afterwards as an overnight treatment if the flaking returns. For now I think I'm going to stop using AHA and use Aloe Vera Gel in the mornings and treatment with real aloe plant at night to repair my skin. Right now everything feels raw/tender <__<

I only hope after my skin repairs it'll be back to normal again. *sigh* Do you think using BP is still ok at this stage?

yea, maybe just use the AHA every other night, and something mild the rest of the time.

If your skin is too sensitive right now, you can skip the next dose or two of bp to let your face recover, then get back on the bp so you don't begin breaking out again.

At the begining of the regimen something similar happened to me, all the dryness and peeling left and after about 3-4 days came back again, and then after that it went and never came back. Maybe the same is happening to you, if so just keep on trucking and it should improve! :)

call them and find out how much aha is in it

i use neutrogena healthy skin face lotion every day, twice a day. it has 8% glycolic acid in it. gone through 2 bottles, and loving it