Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fry

Tanning?

Sorry for making another thread, I'm sort of curious...

I was thinking of going to a tanning booth or something because I am kind of pale and every little spot on my face shows, but I was wondering, would it be bad for my skin in an acne related way? Would I have marks left on my skin from current pimples because of the UV rays? Oh yeah, how would UV rays and BP get along?

My retarded ass skin has the uncanny ability to avoid getting a tan in all conditions. If I go under the sun for like an hour I'll just be red for a few days and go back to my normal self. Pffft.

i can't say about the tanning booth cause i don't know how good those are for u. if i were taking a blind guess, i would guess it's not good just because it seems so fake/artificial. uv rays wouldn't screw up ur acne. it can give u skin cancer if you aren't careful. remember to wear sunscreen in the sun. sunscreen doesn't stop u from tanning, it only protects u from the harmful uv rays.

I figured if I didn't get skin cancer from UV rays, I'd get it from the paleness of my skin and its sensitivity to sunlight. My sister (she's a nurse) told me UV rays in reasonable amounts are pretty good for the skin. I'm still shakey on the acne side of it though. I don't want to have like 400 pimples appearing overnight. :S

well we all get uv rays to some degree when we go outside, i mean there are days where u won't wear sunscren or u wear somethign like spf 15, and it doens' tlast very long and u get a little bit of sun without protection. yeah that's probably OK.

i have never heard of someone getting skin cancer form "sensitivity to the sun"?

I thought it was possible. Meh, what's the worst that could happen?

...Don't answer that. :doubt: :

Some people find tanning good for their acne whist other find it can do nothing or make it worse, personally I think it makes mine a little worse so now whenever I go tanning I always cover my face up after a little while just incase. And also if your using BP be careful becasue it will make you more sensitive to the sun and so you are likely to burn easier :)

I have pale skin too from my mums side, she's a redhead and most of them just don't tan whatsoever, they go red, peel, and go back to pale. But I'm naturally blonde. :( Awww. IMO tanning booths are expensive and a waste of time, and your skin will thank you for it when you're older if you don't go to one.. it might not even work and then you'll just be giving people money to lie down in a really bright bed for a couple of hours

How do those work anyway? Do you go like once a month and pay everytime you go or is there a monthly payment? Oh, and if you go, say, 5 times, and after that never go again, would your skin be a tad bit darker than before you even started going?

i got tanning.....

monthly payment for unlimited tans, your supposed to go every other day .. your body tans for 24-48 hours after you actually leave the tanning bed.. so while you sleep that night your body is still "tanning" ...

use specific indoor tanning salon lotions to get the best color and protect yourself the best.. all of them have good moisturizers in them to keep your skin from getting blotchy and ugly

IPB Image

I have pale skin too from my mums side, she's a redhead and most of them just don't tan whatsoever, they go red, peel, and go back to pale. But I'm naturally blonde. :( Awww. IMO tanning booths are expensive and a waste of time, and your skin will thank you for it when you're older if you don't go to one.. it might not even work and then you'll just be giving people money to lie down in a really bright bed for a couple of hours

You should never be in a bed that long! The most would be 30 minutes.

Once you get your base tan after a few weeks of going every other day, then you can drop it down to once or twice a week to maintain the tan. You can pay per session or buy a certain number of tans to use anytime. I like paying as I go because I do not go too often. It always ends up being cheaper than the unlimited. But of course, you have to shop around. But also talk to your friends and see which places they recommend, because some places will not change their bulbs as often as they should, or the beds might be outdated and/or dirty. I'd actually rather pay a bit more just to have peace of mind that I'm getting the best tan in the cleanest bed. I just got advice from my female friends and they put me in the right direction!

Well tanning does help clear your skin, and its not just because it hides the marks.

When I got abroad to spain, my skin clears 100% and I stay clear for the full 2 weeks, my skin is flawless, it's the only thing that's ever cleared me, until I found BP of course ;)

So this base tan you're talking about, does it become your new permenant tan? Just assuming that because of the name.

So this base tan you're talking about, does it become your new permenant tan? Just assuming that because of the name.

By base tan I mean the actual tan you will get. You aren't going to be tan after one session or perhaps even after several weeks. It could take up to a month before you get the tan you want. Once you get the color you desire, that is called your base tan. Then to keep that base tan you have to go once or twice a week to maintain it so it does not go away. No it is not permanent. It will fade away just like a tan at the beach will. It's a lot of work initially to get your base tan, especially if you normally do not tan well (burn easy) and/or are extremely pale. I am both, but I can usually get my base tan in about 4 weeks if I go every other day or two. I start at 8 minutes for a couple sessions then move up to 12, 14, 18, 22, etc. You have to go slow so you don't burn.

Once I get the base tan, I use the 15 minute super beds instead of the 30 minute beds. You don't want to use the 15 minute bed until you have a tan though. I'm going to start working on my base tan next week so I will be looking good when June comes.