Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bonobo Man

Gene discovered for inflammatory skin disorders?

yeah, that was a poorly written abstract... it was probably translated from japanese to english, but still...

too bad i dont have access to the full text through my school.

heres an interesting article:

Activity of eleven kampo formulations and eight kampo crude drugs against Propionibacterium acnes isolated from acne patients: retrospective evaluation in 1990 and 1995.

Higaki S, Nakamura M, Morohashi M, Hasegawa Y, Yamagishi T.

Department of Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, Toyama Medical and Pharmaceutical University, Japan.

We reviewed the susceptibility of Propionibacterium acnes to eleven Kampo formulations and to eight Kampo crude drugs that had been studied by examining their minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIC) in 1990 and 1995. P. acnes strains were most sensitive to Oren-gedoku-to (OGT) among these Kampo formulations. Coptidis Rhizoma (CR) and Phellodendri Cortex (PC) inhibited the growth of P. acnes significantly among the eight Kampo crude drugs examined. The patterns of distribution of MIC of Kampo formulations and Kampo crude drugs to P. acnes in this study were almost the same as in our previous report in 1990. No significant increases in MIC of Kampo formulations and Kampo crude drugs to P. acnes were observed. We speculated that Kampo crude drugs such as CR and PC, were better than minocycline or erythromycin from the point of view of a progressive increase in MIC to P. acnes. CR and PC, which were each an ingredient of OGT, might contain some components with strong antibacterial activity to P. acnes.

^ ^ ^ It's genereally agreed by pretty much everyone that stress doesn't CAUSE acne, but it can easily AGGRAVATE it to many levels worse.

here's an interesting thought... what if the waisays people are right (in some people's cases), but for the wrong reasons? Cooking causes more airborne proteins to be released from foods.... if these foods contain proteins which your body finds foreign, just being around the foods while they are cooking/still steaming will cause an inflammatory response. Same could be said with salival leakage during sleep, or hand-to-face contact for that matter (if your hands still have food residue on them).

Not an acne/diet connection... but an acne/food connection.

I'm just throwing this idea out there. I have some experiences where this logic would do a lot more explaining than some of my previous theories (or in combination with some of the Cordainesque theories). (And I have had eczema, on and off, since I was a kid... so I bet I have this gene).

Well, it's obviously not important and just semantics, but the definition i was taught, and the one i'm seeing on genetics sites is that a mutation is a "permanent change in the DNA sequence of a gene." Nothing about that only applying after conception. I think it depends on whether you are talking about the genome as a whole or you are talking about an individual. For the purposes of genetically rooted acne it is useful to consider changes across the genome that have been inherited. If not "mutation", then how do you refer to permanent changes in DNA sequence which have been passed on by ancestors?

Every single part of our genome got here as a mutation in someone or something that was passed along. To distinguish between what was inherited, and what was altered during a replication error, we call the latter "mutations."

Great posts in here lab girl.

I know for an absolute fact chocolate effects my skin. I have'nt done any other diet related tests though, only chocolate. Chocolate is like clockwork, sends my skin down the drain on que *every* time. This is eating it for a month, not eating it for 3 months, eating it for a month, not eating it for 3 months. I've done this 5-6 times.

While I know chocolate effects my skin I still put my acne down to DNA and feel there is no way that I could flat out control my skin through any diet because diet isn't a direct lever controlling my skin.

(short of restricting my diet to Vitamin A alone and dying)

^ ^ ^ Man, that sucks. I LOVE dark chocolate with a passion, and eat it almost daily (small amounts). From the times when I run out and don't buy more, though, I notice zero difference in skin. But to each their own.

Isn't it ironic that the ugliest inflamed pimples are caused by our body trying to protect us ...

heres an interesting herb that might help control your genes and reduce sebum production:

We found that the lipogenesis in the hamster sebaceous glands was suppressed 63 and 54% by 10(-4) M berberine (an alkaloid) and wogonin (a flavonoid), respectively.

I wish to god they'd been more explicit in the abstract about how they actually used it. Was it applied topically, or given internally? If internal, what was the dose that was used in mg/kg/day? Poorly written abstract...

Bryan

so anyone already knows if it's applied topically or a supplement?

I'd like to add some more wood to this fire...

I once did some research in to some gene's or genetic defects that may cause acne and one cytochrome stood out and that was a polymorphism in the cytochromic enzyme CYP1A1. This cytochrome is responsible for the metabolization of retinoic acid. There was a experiment that did a comparison between people with acne and without and how much of this cytochromic enzyme was present. They found that people with acne had more CYP1A1 that people without enzyme. They had determined that a polymorphism in the CYP1A1 cytochrome had cause a over metabolism of retinoic acid which caused a problem in sebum regulation. Accutane is a form of retinoic acid! After I realized this I began experimenting with CYP1A1 inhibitors, one in particular being Resveratrol which is found in red grape skins and more concentrated in Japanese Knotweed. The results were inconclusive but did seem to do something. If you would like more information on this, just go to a search engine and type "CYP1A1 Acne" and "CYP1A1 inhibitor resveratrol".

I once did some research in to some gene's or genetic defects that may cause acne and one cytochrome stood out and that was a polymorphism in the cytochromic enzyme CYP1A1. This cytochrome is responsible for the metabolization of retinoic acid. There was a experiment that did a comparison between people with acne and without and how much of this cytochromic enzyme was present. They found that people with acne had more CYP1A1 that people without enzyme. They had determined that a polymorphism in the CYP1A1 cytochrome had cause a over metabolism of retinoic acid which caused a problem in sebum regulation. Accutane is a form of retinoic acid! After I realized this I began experimenting with CYP1A1 inhibitors, one in particular being Resveratrol which is found in red grape skins and more concentrated in Japanese Knotweed. The results were inconclusive but did seem to do something. If you would like more information on this, just go to a search engine and type "CYP1A1 Acne" and "CYP1A1 inhibitor resveratrol".

I'm a little confused if you were saying that Resveratrol is an inhibitor that will stop/slow the retinolic acid down in people with acne. Can you clarify this?

I'm a little confused if you were saying that Resveratrol is an inhibitor that will stop/slow the retinolic acid down in people with acne. Can you clarify this?

Resveratrol is a inhibitor of the CYP1A1 cytochrome which is the enzyme that metabolizes retinoic acid into inactive substances. Resveratrol is NOT a inhibitor of retinoic acid. By it inhibiting CYP1A1, it is supposed to increase the body's supply of retinoic acid by not letting the CYP1A1 gobble it all up. Accutane works by flooding your bloodstream with retinoic acid to cause the sebaceous glands to shrink and in many cases die off. I was trying Resveratrol to see if I could have a similar effect even if it wasn't that powerful by letting the body use the retinoic acid converted from dietary sources. With the CYP1A1 inhibited, more retinoic acid would become available.

Some lab in Canada is using this method in controlled experiments to come up with a new drug that is safer than Accutane but just as effective. That reminds me... I wonder where they are at with their research?

Resveratrol is a inhibitor of the CYP1A1 cytochrome which is the enzyme that metabolizes retinoic acid into inactive substances. Resveratrol is NOT a inhibitor of retinoic acid. By it inhibiting CYP1A1, it is supposed to increase the body's supply of retinoic acid by not letting the CYP1A1 gobble it all up. Accutane works by flooding your bloodstream with retinoic acid to cause the sebaceous glands to shrink and in many cases die off. I was trying Resveratrol to see if I could have a similar effect even if it wasn't that powerful by letting the body use the retinoic acid converted from dietary sources. With the CYP1A1 inhibited, more retinoic acid would become available.

Some lab in Canada is using this method in controlled experiments to come up with a new drug that is safer than Accutane but just as effective. That reminds me... I wonder where they are at with their research?

So did it work for you? I also have a bottle of Resveratrol that I have never touched and would take it now if it worked slightly for you. What was you opinion of it?