Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bonobo Man

Gene discovered for inflammatory skin disorders?

"In the May issue of The Journal of Clinical Investigation, researchers from the National Human Genome Research Institute, the National Eye Institute, and the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, all part of the National Institutes of Health, report that excessive production of a specific protein disrupts the protective properties of the skin barrier. Once the skin barrier is compromised, immune-system-stimulating chemicals – allergens – can enter the body and cause an inflammatory reaction that, in turn, stimulates skin cells to grow rapidly, further diminishing the protective function of the skin. The compromised barrier, in turn, becomes more porous to allergens that then stimulate more inflammation in a cycle that eventually produces common skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema."

Though this article doesn't address acne specifically, since acne is an inflammatory condition, then might this line of thought apply to acne sufferers?

Full article here:

http://www.rxpgnews.com/research/dermatolo...icle_4145.shtml

It's called leaky gut syndrome, and you can remedy it through supplementation of Glutamine, MSM and Colostrum, as well as probiotics to add back good bacteria. It's funny because this is what a lot of alternative health practitioners will have you do and now it's being recognized by scientific findings, though your derm won't tell you that.

More "proof" for my current theory. There are hundreds of genes that control the structure and function of the skin, and we don't even know what most of them do (what enzymes or proeteins they make).....

This is where the cure will be found. I'm gonna piss off all the holistic folks, but whatever. The "cure" isn't not someting tangable yet, but it's someting that I heard about at a seminar the other day, and that I actually learned about in back high school biology over a decade ago, way before the Human Genome Project was even close to complete.....

This is where the cure will be found......not only to acne, but millions of other genetic disorders......

Is acne even genetic???....OMG of course it is!!!!! You could say my parents never had it, no one in my family has it.....etc, but no doubt the cause lies within your DNA. It's not someting as simple as one or two misplaced base pairs in our DNA. There could be thousands of these mistakes that coud attribute to the pathology of acne........

These mistakes in our genome are clealled single nucleotide polymorphisms or SNPs (pronoucnced snips) are DNA sequence variations that occur when a single nucleotide (A,T,C,or G) in the genome sequence is relaced for another nucleotide. Which means the protein that gene is responsible for can be completely inactive, or have reduced activivty or in some cases increased activity. These are present at conception so they are not mutations, they are just little mistakes in our genetic code (thanks mom and dad), that may or may not be responsible for a disease or disorder...........Right now we do know of thousands of SNP's responsible for diseases.

The human genome project is complete and we have our entire genome mapped out. There are between 26,000 and 30,000 (maybe more) genes made up from out 3 billion nucleotide base paris. We only vary by 0.1% in this code from person to person. We have found the genes, but we don't know what all of them do........and won't possibly for decades to come.....

Right now there is research going on about the genitic link to acne, it's not clear cut.....there are thousands of genes that influence the skin, and cause the synthesis of proteins and enzymes that are responsible fot the structure and function of skin.......a few mistakes on those genes the right places, and who knows what can happen.......This is why our acne reacts so differently to certain treatments, and this is why some people's acne is affected by diet and other people's acne isn't............this can explain the varying degrees of persistance and severity of acne too..........

I know for a fact that I have at least one SNP (we all have thousands of them). Mine is in the gene that produces ethanol dehydrogenase. I have great difficutly metabolizing alcohol (my father was an alcoholic, who has the same probem). I've had hangovers so severe that they've put me in the hospital, close to kidney failure and with a pissed off liver, and severe dehydration.......after only two drinks.......this is not to say that I have no acitve ethanol dehydrogenase, but a I demonstrate a reduced activivty in the enzyme (as does my father).......who never had acne........

Who's to say I don't also have an issue with a non-specific alcohol dehydogenase enzyme that is responsible for the conversion of retinol an (alcohol) to retinoic acid......which causes my skin cells to misbehave.......my fathers skin celll misbehave, but he doesn't have overactive sebaceous glands (another few SNP's probably cause this). He has exzema and possibly psoriasis ....and chronically dry flakey skin........and mild rosacea (hmmm a predisposition to inflammatory skin disorders).......My mom has oily skin, but never acne either......

There are thousands or possibly millions of SNP's in all of us. The key to curing a disease like acne is to locate all the SNP's possibly responsible (could be hundreds) and fix them (gene therapy). We can identify these, but we don't know what most of the genes do yet.........they're working on it.....

In 20 years our children may go into a derms office and the first thing they get is a cheek swab.......and treatment will be individualized to their specific genetic needs and eventually gene therapy will be a treatment.......curing acne at the source......in the genes.........

This is actually in practice. There are some companies that can personalize skin care needs based on your genome (expensive and probabaly not very accutate yet, just a marketing story)..........This is being applied to the big bad pharmaceutical indusrty right now. This can explain why people respond to certain drugs and others do not.....

I refuse to believe my acne is caused by my diet or lifestyle. I eat a very healthy diet (as I do have quite a distain for the food industry). I read lables and I hardly ever eat processed food. I get way more EFA's then I'll ever need. I am in excellent shape. I have a very healthy 18% body fat and my bloodwork is always perfect. Perfect cholesterol, low biliruben, low triglycerides, perfect AST and ALT levels.....CBC in normal ranges........

There is nothing that explain my acne.....except a possible genetic pre-disposition to it. Actually this explains why some people who eat the standard American diet never have issues with acne, but us lucky ones in the minority do. I wonder what would happen if I were to eat like a normal American, fast food, and processed junk food.......I wonder what would happen to my skin......I doubt the situation would improve any......

But that's where my "holistic" approach ends......I shouldn't have to eat a very restrictive diet, and drink gallons of olive oil and epsom salts and get colonics to prevent my acne (I'm doubtful it would even help my case) to prevent my acne. I don't want to live like that and I shouldn't have to. There is something that makes me different from all those clear skinned junk food addicts out there........ why do I break out and the fatass on the bench next to me eats McDonalds' every day and has perfect skin (high cholesterol, but perfect skin)?........hmmmmm

If "leaky gut syndrome" really does exist, maybe it is caused by one of those SNPs and not but the food we eat. That article didn't mention leaky gut syndrome, just a defect in a specific skin tissue......it did not imply "leaky gut" at all and was actualy referring to the skin, not the mucous membrane linings of our colons.....that's a totally different type of tissue........it's not considered to be "skin," it's a membrane tissue. The "skin" refers to the dermis and epidermis.....that function as our body's largest and possibly most fascinating organ (besides the human brain)........

Great post- thanks Labgirl :D I would like to have kids in the future (I'm only 19 now) so I hope to god there is a genetic cure by that time. The though of putting someone through acne makes me sick :(

luckily, we dont have to wait for gene therapy because you can control your genes right now with herbs/diet/exercise/sleep/music/playing chess. everything we do affects our genes.

i seriously doubt that genetic mutations are responsible for most peoples acne. predisposition does not necessarily indicate genetic mutation, nor does it always dictate disease.

plus there's the problem of gene therapy causing cancer because the viral vectors insert genes in non-specific places in your DNA... this can result in activation of oncogenes (cancer-promoting genes) or disrupt cancer-preventive genes. early gene therapy experiments have caused cancer in unwitting children (though they probably would have died young anyway). more specific viral vectors are being developed.

i think the main causes of acne are increased sebum production, and systemic and localized inflammation... and for some individuals a hormonal imbalance. these conditions are influenced by many different factors. genetics is just one part of the equation.

luckily, we dont have to wait for gene therapy because you can control your genes right now with herbs/diet/exercise/sleep/music/playing chess. everything we do affects our genes.

i seriously doubt that genetic mutations are responsible for most peoples acne. predisposition does not necessarily indicate genetic mutation, nor does it always dictate disease.

plus there's the problem of gene therapy causing cancer because the viral vectors insert genes in non-specific places in your DNA... this can result in activation of oncogenes (cancer-promoting genes) or disrupt cancer-preventive genes. early gene therapy experiments have caused cancer in unwitting children (though they probably would have died young anyway). more specific viral vectors are being developed.

i think the main causes of acne are increased sebum production, and systemic and localized inflammation... and for some individuals a hormonal imbalance. these conditions are influenced by many different factors. genetics is just one part of the equation.

I can't control my lifestyle or diet any more than I already do. Playing chess won't cure my now cyctic acne (I know that's not what you ment). I sleep my 8 hours every night (at least) for the only reason as to not tire so quickly on the eliptical the next moring at the gym. And so I can have greater endurance when I lift later in the day. There is a fine line between squatting 190lbs and not being able to get the bar up......the same line exists bewteen benching 85lbs and not benching 85lbs...........that line is 8 hours of sleep (and making sure I'm not hungry)........ I do excercise. I'm a gymrat actually. I do sleep. I don't even drink alcohol (since I can metabolize it properly). My acne doens't seem to be as simple. I developed it later, and it only got bad last year in response to acute stress.

Relaxing should be able to help.....since my acne is triggered by a response to stress.....that stress has been gone for 7 months now. I have normal day to day stress that doesn't send me itno a flight or fight response (unless I happen to speed by a cop on a highway in a 65, going 80). I've always had a classic "type A" personality. I was that hyper driven kid that graduated college at 19, got a full time job, and got a master's degree by 21. I'm a hyper drven career woman now, soon to be student the second time around (actually third). I've been know to work two or three jobs at a time..........I currently still have a second job even though I don't need it........for me bordom is worse than stress...........

I'm not saying gene therapy is a cure yet. I've also hard about the issue of non-specific viral vectors and cancer induction in gene therapy ( I do read up). We only know of a small fraction of the genes that may cause acne. I say genes because there are thousands of them that influence our skin......not just one or two.......

Flipside......I know your a Bio major (or Biochem or something). I leaned in high school biology (from what I can remember through the drug induced haze of my early teen years) that a SNP is not a mutation. A single nucleotide polymorphism is present at conception . A mutation is a change in a nucleotide after conception. So this theroy isn't saying that our genes are mutated........We are born with a predisposition to acne......I've always been acne prone, but didn't alway have acne. Not as a child, not as a teenager, but from 18 on I was acne prone. The state of being acne prone is genetic.......no doubt about it. These SNPs dictate how our acne will repond to treatment. It They dictate our triggers (foods, stess, hormones) and the level of severity and persistance out acne has. There isn't one SNP....there could be thousands of them that cause acne. Acne is the symptopm a fundamential internal discord.......not a disease itself..........You holistic folks are actually o to something, and that part I've always agreed with.......but we don't know where to look for the disease itself. All the people who use diet and internal cleansing.....are still acne prone individuals. No one has cured they're acne that way......Merely contoled the symptopms.........Your acne may claer up on a raw diet. Denise2's may clear up after vigerous "clensing." Go back to the Standard Americal Diet, and lifesytle.....and bam.....breakout city.........

My acne isn't caused by the same thing as yours or the next person's.....that's what makes this disease such a pain in the ass.......It's different for everyone. Maybe when and if everything settles down (with my neurotrasmitters and stress hormones)I can go back to being clear again. I was clear before the stalker incident......100% crystal clear (even though I was still acne prone). My diet and my lifestyle....combined with certain products (that I eventually didn't need and stopped using) were keeping me clear. Two years ago my skin was almost perfect, not products required. I was gymrat then, and ate the same way I do now............. I though I had grown out of it....... but I was wrong......

Gene therapy and genetics are still in the early stages. Decades from not the situation may be different. I want to go back to school so badly.......What the hell am I doing making makeup for a living??.......Not to say that makeup isn't important, but there are more important things out there.......

I can't control my lifestyle or diet any more than I already do. Playing chess won't cure my now cyctic acne (I know that's not what you ment). I sleep my 8 hours every night (at least) for the only reason as to not tire so quickly on the eliptical the next moring at the gym. And so I can have greater endurance when I lift later in the day. There is a fine line between squatting 190lbs and not being able to get the bar up......the same line exists bewteen benching 85lbs and not benching 85lbs...........that line is 8 hours of sleep (and making sure I'm not hungry)........ I do excercise. I'm a gymrat actually. I do sleep. I don't even drink alcohol (since I can metabolize it properly). My acne doens't seem to be as simple. I developed it later, and it only got bad last year in response to acute stress.

Relaxing should be able to help.....since my acne is triggered by a response to stress.....that stress has been gone for 7 months now. I have normal day to day stress that doesn't send me itno a flight or fight response (unless I happen to speed by a cop on a highway in a 65, going 80). I've always had a classic "type A" personality. I was that hyper driven kid that graduated college at 19, got a full time job, and got a master's degree by 21. I'm a hyper drven career woman now, soon to be student the second time around (actually third). I've been know to work two or three jobs at a time..........I currently still have a second job even though I don't need it........for me bordom is worse than stress...........

I'm not saying gene therapy is a cure yet. I've also hard about the issue of non-specific viral vectors and cancer induction in gene therapy ( I do read up). We only know of a small fraction of the genes that may cause acne. I say genes because there are thousands of them that influence our skin......not just one or two.......

Flipside......I know your a Bio major (or Biochem or something). I leaned in high school biology (from what I can remember through the drug induced haze of my early teen years) that a SNP is not a mutation. A single nucleotide polymorphism is present at conception . A mutation is a change in a nucleotide after conception. So this theroy isn't saying that our genes are mutated........We are born with a predisposition to acne......I've always been acne prone, but didn't alway have acne. Not as a child, not as a teenager, but from 18 on I was acne prone. The state of being acne prone is genetic.......no doubt about it. These SNPs dictate how our acne will repond to treatment. It They dictate our triggers (foods, stess, hormones) and the level of severity and persistance out acne has. There isn't one SNP....there could be thousands of them that cause acne. Acne is the symptopm a fundamential internal discord.......not a disease itself..........You holistic folks are actually o to something, and that part I've always agreed with.......but we don't know where to look for the disease itself. All the people who use diet and internal cleansing.....are still acne prone individuals. No one has cured they're acne that way......Merely contoled the symptopms.........Your acne may claer up on a raw diet. Denise2's may clear up after vigerous "clensing." Go back to the Standard Americal Diet, and lifesytle.....and bam.....breakout city.........

My acne isn't caused by the same thing as yours or the next person's.....that's what makes this disease such a pain in the ass.......It's different for everyone. Maybe when and if everything settles down (with my neurotrasmitters and stress hormones)I can go back to being clear again. I was clear before the stalker incident......100% crystal clear (even though I was still acne prone). My diet and my lifestyle....combined with certain products (that I eventually didn't need and stopped using) were keeping me clear. Two years ago my skin was almost perfect, not products required. I was gymrat then, and ate the same way I do now............. I though I had grown out of it....... but I was wrong......

Gene therapy and genetics are still in the early stages. Decades from not the situation may be different. I want to go back to school so badly.......What the hell am I doing making makeup for a living??.......Not to say that makeup isn't important, but there are more important things out there.......

Interesting.

My skin was at it's worst when I was alcohol free, very healthy food eating, health nut.

Since I've eased up, now drink alcohol, eat fatty red meat and some processed foods, white bread etc, ditched all the supplements, no more raw fruit and veg, my skin has improved. I've put on 14 lbs even though I run 3 times a week.

BTW alcohol has bad press but it is when taken in moderation very good for anxiety and stress, as is aerobic exercise such as running. It has been proven that stress makes skin conditions such as acne worse!

Have you tried vodka, I cant drink anything else cos of congeners in other alcoholic drinks. Vodka is very clean, no hangover and good nights sleep on it. Really like valium (diazepam) without prescription and more sociable.

I only use normal soap with glycerine, no colors or dyes, once a day now and am still clear. I dont wash my face before bed now either.

a SNP is not a mutation. A single nucleotide polymorphism is present at conception

As i understand it, SNP's are mutations - i beleive they refer to them as point mutations. Any time there is a change in the genetic material, that's a mutation, whether it's present at conception or not is irrelevant - mutation refers to the change in genome which can happen in a variety of ways. It may have originally mutated in subject, or the parent, or the parent's parent, or somewhere down the line, but it's still a mutation in the original code.

a SNP is not a mutation. A single nucleotide polymorphism is present at conception

As i understand it, SNP's are mutations - i beleive they refer to them as point mutations. Any time there is a change in the genetic material, that's a mutation, whether it's present at conception or not is irrelevant - mutation refers to the change in genome which can happen in a variety of ways. It may have originally mutated in subject, or the parent, or the parent's parent, or somewhere down the line, but it's still a mutation in the original code.

It's not a mutation since SNP's are dirctly inherited from parents and grandparents and so on......they may have been point mutation generations before hand, but the "mistake" is present at conception.....it means that it came from one of the parents.......and it's not consiodered a mutaton, but are DNA sequence variations that occur when a single nucleotide in the genome sequence is altered. SNPs make up close to 90% of all human genetic variation. They are just differences in our DNA from individual to individual......

It's why I have blonde hair and dark brown (close to black) eyes and my sister has green eyes and dark brown hair....It may alsio be why we are both acne prone....although it's more likely a combination of SNPs that we inherited from our clear skinned parents that causes up to be acne prone.....

An SNP is often incorrectly referred to as a point mutation. A point mutation is an incident that occurs in an individual sometime after conception. It's what happens when your DNA is changed......after you were concieved.........common mutanogens and viruses can be cause mutatuions.....that later appear as SNP's amound the mutated individuals offspring.....mutation and SNP's are the driving force behind evolution as well as many dieases......

I wish I had taken biology in college......I miss this stuff........Bio will definatly be part of my PhD....in biochemistry......maybe I'll throw in genetics just for fun........

It's not a mutation since SNP's are dirctly inherited from parents and grandparents and so on......they may have been point mutation generations before hand, but if the "mistake" is present at conception.....it means that it came from one of the parents.......and it's not considered "mutations", but are DNA sequence variations that occur when a single nucleotide in the genome sequence deviated from the norm..... SNPs make up close to 90% of all human genetic variation. They are just differences in our DNA from individual to individual.....some are present in coding sequences.....some are not.....some affect protein synthesis....some don't........

SNP's are why I have blonde hair and dark brown (close to black) eyes and my sister has green eyes and dark brown hair....It may also be why we are both acne prone....although it's more likely a combination of SNPs that we inherited from our clear skinned parents that causes up to be acne prone.....

An SNP is often incorrectly referred to as a point mutation. A point mutation is an incident that occurs in an individual sometime after conception. It's what happens when your DNA is changed......after you were concieved.........common mutanogens and viruses can be cause mutatuions.....that later appear as SNP's amound the mutated individuals offspring.....mutation and SNP's are the driving force behind evolution as well as many dieases......

I wish I had taken biology in college......I miss this stuff........Bio will definatly be part of my PhD....in biochemistry......maybe I'll throw in genetics just for fun........

Labgirl:

I can't control my lifestyle or diet any more than I already do

Really don't mean to sound condesending in anyway but you just said you worked out? working out will make your acne worse.

No

Labgirl:

Really don't mean to sound condesending in anyway but you just said you worked out? working out will make your acne worse.

No

what do you mean no?

Labgirl:

I don't mean to sound condesending either, but didn't I just get done explaining the possible very complex genetic compontnet to the pathology of acne????.........

The cause of one individuals acne may not be the same cause as some one elses acne. Did you happen to think that working out makes acne worse?.......To say with utmost certainty that working out makes acne worse is simply ridiculous.

For your information....yes....I am a "gymrat." I've been working out for the past nine years. After I overcame a almost crippling and life-ruining drug addiction at the age of 15 I decided to be good to my body. I started caring about what I ate and how much I slept. I began running and lifting weights. I discovered someting interesting about my body. I'm very stong for my size. At 15 years of age and 95lbs I was able to squat 185lbs and bench 115lbs.....I am female.......and tiny......I won a trophy for it actually.........I can build muscle stregnth, enduracne, and size with minimal effort........

I lifted all through the rest of high school and almost the rest of college, before I ever had a single pimple. I got acne when I was nearly 19, four years after I picked up a bar or stepped foot on a track or ellpitical........

I took a break towards the end of my undergrad degree and a little in the beginning of grad school. No change in my skin whatsoever......maybe a pimple or two near my period......that's it.......nothing Proactiv couldn't tackle......Towards the middle of grad school I picked up again.......right were I left off......No change in my skin.......for the next two years......if anything my acne almost disappeared........

Stalker boy came into the picture when I was 23. Ten months of being in a fight or flight response.......all hell broke loose.....went from being perfectly clear to cystic acne in two months flat.......

Oh and stalker boy joined my gym......so I didn't work out for almost six months last year.....during that time I hasd the worst acne I've ever had......

So working out makes acne worse.....says who.....you????

Working out in itself doesn't = acne but in acne prone individuals... I believe working out affects acne in an identical way to stress so your actually stressing your body more by working out.

as for "back then" you didn't have acne so you could work out all you wanted in the same way any bodybuilder does but now you do and working out will *sorry is likely* to aggrivate it.

You should also remember that people on here aren't trying to offend you, i believe i was more than polite in my original post.

Working out in itself doesn't = acne but in acne prone individuals... I believe working out affects acne in an identical way to stress so your actually stressing your body more by working out.

as for "back then" you didn't have acne so you could work out all you wanted in the same way any bodybuilder does but now you do and working out will *sorry is likely* to aggrivate it.

You should also remember that people on here aren't trying to offend you, i believe i was more than polite in my original post.

Exercising is healthy. My resting heart rate is under sixty. I could put you on my shoulders and squat you (assuming you weight less than 200lbs) and I'm 4'11" and I weigh 110lbs. I do not stress my body by using an ellpitical 4-6 times a week and lifting weights. Working out is akin to the manual labor that we no longer participate in as a society and is important to our health. I won't have to worry much about heart disease, diabeties, certain cancers, arthritis or osteroporosis as I age........I no longer run as much since it can be hard on the knees. I sweat a little when I do cardio and I don't sweat at all when I lift (anerobic excercise). It may stess my joints a bit, but it doesn't stress me much physically.......

Did you not read what I wrote when I said that I didn't step foot in a gym for nearly six months last year?......when my acne was at it's worst it's been in my entire life.....it didn't impove when I stopped it only got worse........

The stress of working out pails in comparison to the stress of being told by some psycho that he's going to slit your thoat in your sleep or disembowel you in front of your family, the stress of being afraid to leave your house, or be home before dark, the strss of hearing your window brake and the glass crunching on the floor as a 6'1" 200lb armed man creeps around in your kitchen, lloking for a knife........that is acute stress......like the stress of a fight or flight response....

Working out actually helps us relieve stress, as it also releases endorphins and dopamine, and stimulates the production of serotonin..........Excercise is actually good for stress.....and doesn't create stress

I get lazy sometimes and I won't work out for a couple weeks (also if my body fat drops below 18% I tend to cut back)......no differecne in my acne at all......

The only things I've noticed about working out and acne.....is that if I don't shower right after sweating I develop small pustules between my breasts.......The weight of a 190lb bar on my back puts pressure on the acne there, and can turn small pustules into cysts.........so if I have active bacne....I leg press instead.......

The acne on my face is not affected by my working out at all.......as long as I remember to wash afterward.....

Do you happen to have any supporting referecnes to you claim that working out aggervates acne????.....you belief or personal experience just doesn't cut it for me........

I was going to write a big long post about how x affects y which does z and that allthough you are undoubtably very knowledgeble in the subject there may well be certain perameters you've overlooked however the little internet message board experience i have has lead me to the conclusion that it matters not what this post reads, you wouldn't believe it anyway. I was only trying to help.

I was going to write a big long post about how x affects y which does z and that allthough you are undoubtably very knowledgeble in the subject there may well be certain perameters you've overlooked however the little internet message board experience i have has lead me to the conclusion that it matters not what this post reads, you wouldn't believe it anyway. I was only trying to help.

Well it's true I'm not inclined to believe everying I read on the internet...........If you are a PhD or an MD or you just happen to extremely knoweldgable in the subject by all means make the long post...........I know your tyring to help.....and I am interested in what you have to say......really..... but you can't expect me to believe a statment that begins...."I believe.....", unless you have something to back it up.......you can't say working out exacerbates acne (when I have never seen a correlation in 9 years I've been working out and the five that I've had acne). You can't really expect me to cancel my gym membership and head to McDonalds just becaus you said working out causes acne.....without the slightest explination...........go into detail....please.....

Don't be afraid of getting too scientific....I may be "illiterate" and "unteachable"......but I can handle the science part.....I promise....

Well, it's obviously not important and just semantics, but the definition i was taught, and the one i'm seeing on genetics sites is that a mutation is a "permanent change in the DNA sequence of a gene." Nothing about that only applying after conception. I think it depends on whether you are talking about the genome as a whole or you are talking about an individual. For the purposes of genetically rooted acne it is useful to consider changes across the genome that have been inherited. If not "mutation", then how do you refer to permanent changes in DNA sequence which have been passed on by ancestors?

ive taken a few genetics courses (im a C student studying molecular bilogy)...

from what i understand, mutationscan occur at any time, and are simply changes in the genome. you can inherit mutations from your great great great great great grandmother... you can inherit a mutation that just occured recently in your fathers germline (sperm cells)... also, somatic mutations are occuring right now in your body.

point mutationsoccur when there is a change in a single nucleotide. for example an A changes to a G. these mutations often occur during replication. they can be inherited or occur spontaneously in an individual.

an SNPis a point mutation that is present at a sizable frequency in a human population (over 1%maybe).

note that these definitions say nothing of the location of the mutation. mutations dont always occur within genes. and even if it occurs within a gene, the result is not always a change in amino acid... this is because the genetic code is degenerate (most amino acids are coded for by several different codons).

oh, i forgot to mention, berberine (and other components of oregon grape root) also reduce keratinocyte hyperproliferation. in fact oregon grape root is being used to treat psoriasis, which is a skin disorder invloving hyper-proliferation of keratinocytes.

The antipsoriatic Mahonia aquifolium and its active constituents; II. Antiproliferative activity against cell growth of human keratinocytes.

Muller K, Ziereis K, Gawlik I.

The extract of the bark of Mahonia aquifolium is an inhibitor of keratinocyte growth with an IC50 of 35 microM. Of its main alkaloids tested, berberine inhibited cell growth to the same extent as did the Mahonia extract, while the benzylisoquinoline alkaloids berbamine and oxyacanthine were more potent inhibitors by a factor of three

heres an interesting herb that might help control your genes and reduce sebum production:

We found that the lipogenesis in the hamster sebaceous glands was suppressed 63 and 54% by 10(-4) M berberine (an alkaloid) and wogonin (a flavonoid), respectively.

I wish to god they'd been more explicit in the abstract about how they actually used it. Was it applied topically, or given internally? If internal, what was the dose that was used in mg/kg/day? Poorly written abstract...

Bryan