Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a really big problem and can anybody please help me.

Well I have acne and its been clearing up because I've been using Benzoyl Peroxide in the morning, while cleaning my face wit Nuetrogena Oil Free Acne Wash 3 times a day in the morning, afterschool and at night and then i use Tretinoin Cream at night and I take one Menocycline pill in the day and one at night and lately my skin has been looking red. I dont know what to do because last time I stopped using the Tretinoin and only used the Benzoyl I started getting little bumps so I have no idea how to get my redness off without getting more acne. Someone please help me!

i would suggest not washing 3 times a day...i think 2 is plenty...and perhaps you should wash with a gentle cleanser. I think the combination of 3 times per day with the tough acne wash may be irritating your skin.

Here's a rule for everyone to follow: if it's called an "acne wash", "face clearing wash", something along those lines, don't use it! It will contain an irritating amount of salicyclic acid in most cases. I used a foaming wash that had maybe 2.0% SA in it for just a couple of days, and my face was red, the wash didn't rinse cleanly off, and it multipled the irritated feeling from the BP. I've found that low amounts of SA (0.5%) are tolerable though not really desirable, but more SA than that really interferes with the BP and makes my skin look redder and feel worse. Stop using that wash and instead get a nonmedicated face wash with gentler ingredients. Go easy on the BP--don't use too much before your face can handle it. That should help with the redness a lot.

As for the little bumps, normally, the way I get rid of my is just to leave the place where the bumps are without any BP. I think what you're talking about is blocked pores no?

It should work after a few days, they'll clear. Or try exfoliating (I read on this forum, that it works to clear them too).

defintily stop with the acne wash.part of the regimen says the wash is only to clean your skin and get it ready for the bp....therefor you washig 3 itmes a day with an acne wash is defintly a bad idea.twice a day, with something gentle that only cleanses the skin.no acne washes or scrubs.thts whats makni you red.your skin is irritated

i used to use an "exfolating" face wash that had tiny beads in to help acne..

it was CRAP!

mild cleansing bar

BP

Moisturiser

its all u need

an its twice a day not 3

morning do it

Night do it

an thats it!

hehe! stubborn but fair i think :P

The only thing I've found that helps with those small bumps (which are clogged pores and BP won't do much for them) is steaming. Fill a sink or a bowl with hot water (enough to see steam, but not enough to burn your skin) - flip a towel over your face and hang over the bowl for as long as you can.

3 times a week is what I can handle doing that for. It opens the pores so that when you DO cleanse your face, the stuff can actually get in there.

You are getting red because you are using way too many irritating products at the same time. Acne-prone skin is sensitive skin and you are way overdoing it.

First off, like everyone else has mentioned - ditch the acne face wash, it is only adding to the irritation. Switch to something gentle like Purpose liquid or Cetaphil, and don't wash your face more than twice a day.

As far as the topicals, you can try alternating them and see if your skin tone normalizes. Use the BP one morning, then just wash your face that night. The next night use the tretinoin, but don't use the BP that morning. Once your skin is not so red you can try increasing the frequency of use until you see how much it will tolerate. You can also try buffering the irritation by using a non-comedogenic moisturizer. Purpose and Cetaphil are good choices in that arena as well.