Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
randyr

Accutane Effectiveness

Hey,

I haven't been on this board for awhile since my wife tried the revolutionary "laser" treatment that didn't work. After trying everything under the sun we finally gave in and decided to give Accutane a try. We were told it would be the only thing that worked.

Well, she ran the course and followed every instruction to a T. The result is that it worked - for 5 months. Then the acne came back full force. She now has a face full of acne just as before. We have the dermatologist stumped.

I'm not here to bum anybody out, but we feel the need to inform people that not everyone is cured by this stuff, and that you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the risk. We took that gamble and lost.

Best of Luck.

Randy

Hey,

I haven't been on this board for awhile since my wife tried the revolutionary "laser" treatment that didn't work. After trying everything under the sun we finally gave in and decided to give Accutane a try. We were told it would be the only thing that worked.

Well, she ran the course and followed every instruction to a T. The result is that it worked - for 5 months. Then the acne came back full force. She now has a face full of acne just as before. We have the dermatologist stumped.

I'm not here to bum anybody out, but we feel the need to inform people that not everyone is cured by this stuff, and that you have to decide for yourself if it's worth the risk. We took that gamble and lost.

Best of Luck.

Randy

Well you are lucky it worked for 5 months. It only worked for two weeks for my daughter. And that was after 6 months. Which laser treatment did you try?

Hey,

Best of Luck.

Randy

Is your wife's acne pretty severe? Has she been able to get hormone tests or try spironolactone. If she hasn't, that might be an option to try. I'm so sorry your wife has to go back to having acne again. Is she considering another course? I've heard the success rate is a lot higher the second time around. Was she put on any topical retinoids to maintain results?

Hope you guys can find something out that will help in the long run.

Hey,

Best of Luck.

Randy

Is your wife's acne pretty severe? Has she been able to get hormone tests or try spironolactone. If she hasn't, that might be an option to try. I'm so sorry your wife has to go back to having acne again. Is she considering another course? I've heard the success rate is a lot higher the second time around. Was she put on any topical retinoids to maintain results?

Yes, she had hormone tests and it came out negative. She had topicals too. I don't think we will try a second course. They said only 1 course was needed and this is what happened. Plus, it was too much to bear. The birth control really messed her up too, so it was, in the end, not worth all the trouble. We were told this was the only way to control her acne and it didn't do anything, just like everything else. We are disappointed beyond belief.

Hey,

Best of Luck.

Randy

Yes, she had hormone tests and it came out negative. She had topicals too. I don't think we will try a second course. They said only 1 course was needed and this is what happened. Plus, it was too much to bear. The birth control really messed her up too, so it was, in the end, not worth all the trouble. We were told this was the only way to control her acne and it didn't do anything, just like everything else. We are disappointed beyond belief.

I know how disappointing this must be. But I would definetely try a second course. They say most people have to take a second course to get longer results. How many mg was she on. I am on my second course, first time was on a very light dose of 10mg so given only lasted 1 year, this time am on 80mg. Will let you know my results.