Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mac

ACCUTANE AND TANNING!!!!!!!!

Ive been on accutane for 2 momths now, I have no pimples, just redness and I cant stand them they are preventing me from gogin on a date and I just cant stand them......

I want to tan, so I look nice and tanned, and to cover my redness.....

I want to go tanning, i know they say not too....but what will happen if I do....

I'm gogint o ask my derm about this,....i just wnat to feel good, and the redness isnt helping me....

HELP

derm will say no, i say yes but carefully. but if it's just your face and red-marks that are bothering you and making you want to tan [not because you hate your body being hella pale, like thefeeling of tanning, etc] i'd suggest a sunless tanner because

1. most people's faces tan really slowly and have more of a tendancy to burn or stay the same

2. tanning will darken red spots making them worse in the long run

3. sunless tanners for face are REALLY not that bad, trust me if i can deal with them you can. its nothing like using a tanner all over your body [which i find unbearable, what with smell and not getting noticably darker and hassle factor]

i use sublime bronze for face and body SPF 15. it's awesome. exfoliate and make sure to blend around the sides of your face and chin!

derm will say no, i say yes but carefully. but if it's just your face and red-marks that are bothering you and making you want to tan [not because you hate your body being hella pale, like thefeeling of tanning, etc] i'd suggest a sunless tanner because

1. most people's faces tan really slowly and have more of a tendancy to burn or stay the same

2. tanning will darken red spots making them worse in the long run

3. sunless tanners for face are REALLY not that bad, trust me if i can deal with them you can. its nothing like using a tanner all over your body [which i find unbearable, what with smell and not getting noticably darker and hassle factor]

i use sublime bronze for face and body SPF 15. it's awesome. exfoliate and make sure to blend around the sides of your face and chin!

but wouldnt it look funny, like if I only use it on my face, it wont match my body....and will it break me out,,,,

Ive been on accutane for 2 momths now, I have no pimples, just redness and I cant stand them they are preventing me from gogin on a date and I just cant stand them......

I want to go tanning, i know they say not too....but what will happen if I do....

I'm gogint o ask my derm about this,....i just wnat to feel good, and the redness isnt helping me....

HELP

Don't be surprised, then, if you come out looking like a lobster. If you are hell bent on going and exposing yourelf to concentrated ultraviolet lights while taking a highly photosensitive medication, at least wear sunscreen. If you wear a spf of at least 15 on your body and 30 on your face, you may get lucky and not burn the fuck out of yourself.

Otherwise, be patient with the paleness for now and realize that, in the grand scheme of your whole life, 4 more months of treatment is not a long time.

I would suggest going and getting a nice make-up consult the day of your date.

I'm glad you are going to talk with your derm, that's very smart of you.

I wouldn't tan the face if I were you. Maybe just tan your body, cover your face with a towel. And use a self tanner on your face only so it can match.

After tanning, moisturize with a vitamin E lotion.

I wouldn't tan the face if I were you. Maybe just tan your body, cover your face with a towel. And use a self tanner on your face only so it can match.

After tanning, moisturize with a vitamin E lotion.

ya thats what i do. on second though it would look funny if your face is a whollle lot darker than your body, but i wasnt thinking that you'd sunless tan that dark. just a little color is all it takes to even out your skin and give you a glow, nothing very deep and no one will notice.

Yes, that's what i'm gonna do for this spring. Bc i'm looking like a ghost, it's not even funny. LOL.

Yes, that's what i'm gonna do for this spring. Bc i'm looking like a ghost, it's not even funny. LOL.

yep...being pale is as bad for your health as tanning imo

your skin gets damaged far easier when on roaccutane, you will get red and peel, and you will be pale again, just with a lot higher chance of cancer.

i read that sun lessens effectiveness of topical retinoids.

does it do that with accutane too ?

no it's the opposite in my experience, retinoids increase the 'effectiveness' [or strength or whatever] of the sun. you tan faster and you burn faster. same thing on accutane.

edit:::: probably lessens the effect of the retinoid ALSO, but in my experience the change in effect of the sun is way more dramatic, i guess retinoid effectiveness is kind of hard to measure unscientifically

HELP

You are in the same boat as me!!! I am on 6 weeks wii be done mid june high dosage of 3 months. I love to tan but I am trying to stick it out till July 1st I will only be off of tane 2 weeks but better than doing it while on tane. I know its hard but lets stick it out together!! U dont have long to go

i read that sun lessens effectiveness of topical retinoids.

Yes, light can deactivate topical retinoids.

what about oral isotretinoin ? is this affected by sun ?

i think oral work from deep inside skin where radiation does not have major effect.

"isotretinoin and tretinoin applied on skin, and next affected by solar radiation not only loose their curative abilities, but gain stronger irritating abilities."

sorry for the translation, its from one pl site.

Mac i say what you're trying to do is very dangerous. Accutane is a HIGHLY powerful medicine. Be careful. I say you better wait. Maybe buy a bronzer. Think!

so is it ok if I tan my body?

and those bronzers if i put it on my face wouldnt it look funny, like a fake tan lol....

i'm so confused all i want is a good cover up for some spots thats all...

Well no, your skin is much more sensitive to sun and you'll be at great risk for a bad burn and increased skin damage. If you really want that tanned look, try a Mystic Tan, they look very natural. If you absolutely insist on tanning despite a gazillion warnings to stay out of the sun, then go with Sehnsucht's plan to ease into it. But if you get burned don't come crying to me.

I ended my course three months ago, and my skin is still super sensitive to the sun. We were out driving around in the car last weekend, one with tinted windows nontheless, and I ended up getting sun poisoning on my chest. For those who don't know, basically instead of a straight up sunburn, I got an extremely bumpy and itchy rash all over where I was exposed to the sun. It's almost a week later, and I'm still not over it yet.

If I don't even have it in my system anymore, and am still this sensitive, imagine how bad it will be if you're still on 'tane and exposing yourself to the sun!

Well no, your skin is much more sensitive to sun and you'll be at great risk for a bad burn and increased skin damage. If you really want that tanned look, try a Mystic Tan, they look very natural. If you absolutely insist on tanning despite a gazillion warnings to stay out of the sun, then go with Sehnsucht's plan to ease into it. But if you get burned don't come crying to me.

AMEN!! why dont you try mystic tan??? better safe and tan than sorry and deep fried. Hey, have you tried aloe vera to help lighten up your red marks? & if youre worried about going on a date, i must say if you dont have any pimples that makeup will cover redness nicely, plus your skin is smooth so theres nothing to worry about, right?? good luck! ;)