Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iceee

drinking protein shakes

So im just wondering if any of you out there drink protein and if you do does it give you breakouts or anything like that??

personally i wudnt drink them coz arnt they full of sugars an carbs to help u bulk up faster?

it all depends on if u believe diet affects acne i gues

imo i wudnt drink then but taht is just me

i know a lot of people wud say it wudnt make ne difference!

its ur choice man!

I replied to your PM.

I'll search around and see if I can find any sort of "official" concensus on whether or not high protein intake aggravates acne.

okay, I did a quick google search on "protein powder acne" and while some websites said that protein powders were actually good for helping acne, others said it can cause breakouts.

so, to be honest, I'm not sure. Maybe it depends on the individual.

If you do decide to give them a try, let us know how it works out.

I replied to your PM.

I'll search around and see if I can find any sort of "official" concensus on whether or not high protein intake aggravates acne.

thanks alot brandy hmm i guess im still young shouldnt drink it yet only 16 but i have modelling and all that and they want me to get more chunkier haha kinda skinny rite now

Protein shakes aren't necessary, but they make things easier. Just get your protein from whole food.

As far as protein shakes go, they would probably only be a problem if you are sensitive to dairy because of the whey. If you are really interested in powders, you could also try egg protein powders which may be "safer".

i drink protein shakes everyday and it doesnt affect my acne at all, i went a month without takin them and it didnt change i actually think they help a little bit, but i will only take them if the are low in sugar, mine only has 1 gram of sugar per serving and i usally only mix with water.

I drink protein shakes regularly with my workouts and they dont seem to cause me breakouts. I only get breakouts if i sleep on my face or negate from a regimen.

unfortunately they've always caused me to breakout, not sure why. creatine was alot worse, that made be break out something crazy. just like ariventa said i get all my protein from food now, its not difficult really. 3 boiled eggs at brekky, 250g chicken or turkey at lunch, 1 tin of tuna straight after gym and then a meal at night plus a bit of cheese every now and then and you're soon at 150g per day. a protein shake will give you roughly the same amount of protein as a tin of tuna

unfortunately they've always caused me to breakout, not sure why. creatine was alot worse, that made be break out something crazy. just like ariventa said i get all my protein from food now, its not difficult really. 3 boiled eggs at brekky, 250g chicken or turkey at lunch, 1 tin of tuna straight after gym and then a meal at night plus a bit of cheese every now and then and you're soon at 150g per day. a protein shake will give you roughly the same amount of protein as a tin of tuna

ooo ok so would boiling and frying the eggs be the same??

ooo ok so would boiling and frying the eggs be the same??

in terms of protein yeah they would be the same, but boiling them is alot healthier because it cuts out the fat/cholestorol you would get from the oil in the frying pan. you could eat them raw too, but i don't think i'd be able to stomach that personally

Umm.. ive been workin out and drinkin protein shakes twice daily.. low in sugar. I do NOT think there is much of a correlation with breaking out. The creatine on the other hand.. not exactly sure. Ive been using creatine and i cannot say that it has caused me to break out, out of the ordinary. IMO, just get low sugar protein, i have AST VP2 protein powder.

I used to drink protein shakes, but I do not any longer. But not out of considerations for acne... I ran out of money... :(

WOw, go get your parents Sams Club or Costco card and go there, there are 5 lb buckets of whey protein mix for 18-20 bux, dirt cheap and extremely effective. Plus, it hasnt' caused me to breakout and it doesnt have creatine (I hate that crap).

Edit: excuse me, 6 lb buckets. Look for stuff called Advant Edge.

Protein shakes? I take them too, no break out.

Maybe it's the milk in the mix? Sometimes I like to make protein shakes with water (tastes weird as, not as thick as milk!)

WOw, go get your parents Sams Club or Costco card and go there, there are 5 lb buckets of whey protein mix for 18-20 bux, dirt cheap and extremely effective. Plus, it hasnt' caused me to breakout and it doesnt have creatine (I hate that crap).

Edit: excuse me, 6 lb buckets. Look for stuff called Advant Edge.

Im a veggie and a runner and wanted extra protein/calories in my lousy diet. Last month, I purchased at Sams Club.. CytoSport 100% Whey Protein (Chocolate), 5lbs., no sugar, no aspartame and it mixes instantly with no disgusting gooey lumps. For 5lb jug it was $17.99 at Sams, on CytoSport website the same size jug is $45!!!..and thats without shipping costs! ..Huge price difference...

Been using it for a month now and no new breakouts...

if your drinking more protein then you are needing for muscle gain it will come out i your pores.which will give you a better chance of abreak out.you gotta find out how much protein you need for your type of work out.search online for like muscle gaining plans and see if yo ucan find out how many calories yo uneed which will tell you how much protien you'll need.if your just workin out to be in shape dont worry about protein shakes.lemme know what kind of work outs you are doing and i can give yo usome better advice.i use to weight gain so i might be able to tell you somethin.PM me if you want

you gotta definitely watch out what kind of protein shake you drink

of course all of them are high in protein, but also have a crapload of sugars, carbs, and are basically a loaded candybar with protein

just try to eat more protein during your meals instead

if your drinking more protein then you are needing for muscle gain it will come out i your pores.

wtf?

eggs,chicken(freerange),tuna,nuts = protein

get into it!

start out light, use free weights (dumbells,barbells), get more confident then start goin harder n pushing yourself more, dont ignore any muscle group especially legs and back

I replied to your PM.

thanks alot brandy hmm i guess im still young shouldnt drink it yet only 16 but i have modelling and all that and they want me to get more chunkier haha kinda skinny rite now

Protein shakes won't necessarily make you chunkier or bulkier. You have to increase your intake of carbs in order to bulk. Your calorie intake should be around 20 x your bodyweight in pounds to gain muscle weight; 60% carbs, 15% protein, and 25% fat. 1 g of carbs or protein = 4 calories, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, you do the math :). Don't overdo on the protein, 'cuz if you take more than your body needs, it comes out in your urin; you'll have pretty expensive urin. Eat like 6 - 8 smaller meals, itll help you get your calories in easier. And no, protein shouldn't break you out, I've seen no difference since I've increased my protein intake.

I see there's some other bodybuilders on the board. :D I've been into bodybuilding and taking whey protein for a while now, and it's never effected my acne. I don't think you have much to worry about.

If you're trying to bulk up, then it would be good to get at least 1.2grams times your bodyweight in protein a day. And remember, it's not all about the protein. Weight gain or loss is all about the calories. You need to eat more than your "maintenance calories" if you want to gain weight. :)