Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hate the mirror

Minocycline ineffectiveness

Hello, I've been reading the message boards for some time but recently felt the need to post my problem.

So I've had mild to moderate acne for years now. I'm 21 now and first visited a dermatologist three summers ago. He put me on antibiotics for 3 months. At the time, they worked great and I remember them being very effective up until my prescription ran out. My acne had been relatively under control (although always leaving me feeling depressed) until about six months ago. I had been breaking out worse than usual and got fed up and set out to see a new derm here where I attend college. He put me on 100MG Minocycline twice a day along with 10%BP. I've been on this routine for over 4 months now and have only had moderate success. I always have at least 2 or 3 active pimples and whenever they clear new ones will form. Progress has been slow and my doctor checks me out every two weeks and tells me to continue with the antibiotics. While I do admit that I am more clear now than I was before I started taking them, I wish they were as effective as they were in the past. Its frustrating when the medication won't stop my current breakouts and allow my redmarks to heal. I never see improvement in myself because I'm always looking at these marks and getting discouraged knowing that new ones are always being formed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Would switching to another antibiotic be helpful? Its frustrating when my doctor keeps telling me to take the same pill and here I am 4 months later still breaking out.

I was also on mino. Didnt do much for me at all. Anti-biotics really arent good for you and i regret taking them. I should have taken accutane earlier.

I suggest you try accutane and stop anti-biotics all together.

Accutane is certainly something I'm interested in trying. I've done a lot of reading on it and I'm willing to risk any of the uncomfortable side effects that may result. Do you think accutane will be the next course of action my derm will take, or do you think I may have to request to go on accutane?

i personally feel that minocycline only works for like 2 weeks and then completely stops lol... i don't know

maybe b/c the stuff only clears places where u have serious bacteria forming or the stuff stinks but i know im

stopping it now cuz its not helping me much =/

Hello, I've been reading the message boards for some time but recently felt the need to post my problem.

So I've had mild to moderate acne for years now. I'm 21 now and first visited a dermatologist three summers ago. He put me on antibiotics for 3 months. At the time, they worked great and I remember them being very effective up until my prescription ran out. My acne had been relatively under control (although always leaving me feeling depressed) until about six months ago. I had been breaking out worse than usual and got fed up and set out to see a new derm here where I attend college. He put me on 100MG Minocycline twice a day along with 10%BP. I've been on this routine for over 4 months now and have only had moderate success. I always have at least 2 or 3 active pimples and whenever they clear new ones will form. Progress has been slow and my doctor checks me out every two weeks and tells me to continue with the antibiotics. While I do admit that I am more clear now than I was before I started taking them, I wish they were as effective as they were in the past. Its frustrating when the medication won't stop my current breakouts and allow my redmarks to heal. I never see improvement in myself because I'm always looking at these marks and getting discouraged knowing that new ones are always being formed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Would switching to another antibiotic be helpful? Its frustrating when my doctor keeps telling me to take the same pill and here I am 4 months later still breaking out.

unfortunately, antibiotics are minimal in stopping new breakouts. its actually commonplace for a doctor to prescribe a prescription strength topical like a retinoid, benzaclin. i would really try for some retinoids, they have made my skin 200% clearer and im on 200mg mino with BP in the morning. retinoids and benzaclin really dont have any major side effects, they are even safer than antibios. be firm with your doctor. dont take any bs. retinoids = breakout period, then clear predictable, manageable skin. stay with the antibios though.

Thanks, I'll start looking into retinoids. They may be what I need although my interest in accutane is still strong. The possibility of going on a drug which has the chance of keeping me clear for years gives me so much hope.