Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here's how i got clear and how you can too:

TO TREAT:

What i did to treat my existing acne is use a GEL teice a day with salicylic acid and glycolic acid which are two unharsh ingredients. the salycilic acid treated the active zits, and the glycolic got rid of the redmarks. I don't even wash my face with cleansers anymore. if by using the salyclic acid your face becomes a little dry, cut it down to once a day.

* the specific product i used is called Zirh Fix which is quite expensive but worked exremely well. u can find it at zirh.com (skin care for men). if you want you can find your own product with these 2 ingredients that should be just as affective.

TO PREVENT:

acne forms because of oil clogging your pores. If your pores arent' clogged you won't get acne. Simple as that. SO what's the best way to prevent your pores from being clogged? FACIAL STEAMING. heres how to facial steam:

1. boil water

2. pour water into large bowl

3. let water cool off a bit (make sure it isn't too hot or your face wil get irritated)

3. grab a towel, place over your head and put your face over the bowl about 3-5 inches from the water level.

4. do this for 15 minutes

5. splash your face with freezing cold wwater after. (no need to cleanse)

SKIN CARE TIPS:

I have stopped moisturizing my face for about 3 weeks and im virtually clear. I really think that all moisturizers clog pores. See what people do is wash there face with warm water, which opens up pores, then apply pore-clogging moisturzier on their skin and wonder why they get acne. The reason you have acne is because of clogged pores and excess oil. We all have oily skin because we all have acne.

So we dont' need moisturizers. NOBODY here has dry skin therefore NOBODY here needs to moisturize. If your skin appears dry then it is probably irritated because of some chemicals you're putting on your face. Keep it simple people and your skin will thank you.

Whenever water touches my face, it has to be COLD. cold water improves circulation and will keep your pores closed. Therefore i always take COLD showers to make sure my pores don't open up and accumulate dirt and bacteria.

....I'd be careful about telling people what thier skin is or isn't. *EDIT* That last line came out kind of harshly. Sorry about that. I'll just leave it at be careful.

I do agree that keeping it simple is a good way to go, though. I recently cut out two products out of my four product routine - here's hoping it will do some good!

Even dermatologists don't agree on this subject. As a teen I lived in Virginia and my derm there recommended using a good moisturizer to help with the dryness of retinols. Then I moved to Michigan and my derm there was adament that I shouldn't use any moisturizer whatsoever. My skin was so tight and uncomfortable, but I probably looked better without all the shine. Both regimens cleared my skin in time, but it would take years for me to realize the food connection. This cleared my skin for good and now I don't have to deal with any dryness.

yeah i edited the post a bit.

first of all most dermatologists aren't that smart. i followed what my derm told me a year ago and made my acne worse

also i had mild to moderate acne just to let you know.

second of all, yes we all have oily skin. people with dry skin should not get acne. if you think ur skin is dry, it's most likely IRRITATED

Ooooh - steaming!

That DOES work. I did that for some months, and saw a DRASTIC improvement in my skin. I've been lazy lately, though, I can tell the difference.

Ooooh - steaming!

That DOES work. I did that for some months, and saw a DRASTIC improvement in my skin. I've been lazy lately, though, I can tell the difference.

steaming SAVED my skin. my complexion looks a million times better. it cleans out your pores and practially all spas incorporate steaming to promote healthy skin.

trust me DO IT!!!!!!!!

(make sure u don't steam more than 3 times week, with a day break in between steams)

yeah i edited the post a bit.

first of all most dermatologists aren't that smart. i followed what my derm told me a year ago and made my acne worse (differin)

also i had mild to moderate acne just to let you know.

second of all, yes we all have oily skin. people with dry skin should not get acne. if you think ur skin is dry, it's most likely IRRITATED

EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I had, have, and will always have dry skin I feel and I still get acne although it is pretty much under control. People with dry skin also breakout so you can't make a claim like all acne sufferers have oily skin. And no, it is not because of products because for a long time a did nothing and my skin is still dry on my face and the rest of my body also.

Please explain to me how people with dry skin still can have acne??

if you have no sebum (oil) then youre pores can't get clogged and you can't get zits.

do you wash with hot water? also do you put any chemicals on ur face? ie benzoyl peroxide

Dry skin can clog easily if the skin is unable to correctly shed itself. ALso, there are dietary correlations. I can't eat any kind of Omega-3 (fish, fish oil, flax oil, whatever).

I don't know the exact reasons why dry skin can break out, but it happens.

Oily skin is not a required element in acne.

if you have no sebum (oil) then youre pores can't get clogged and you can't get zits.

do you wash with hot water? also do you put any chemicals on ur face? ie benzoyl peroxide

I think that if your skin is overly dry, it becomes more susceptible to infection from foreign substances (which i have no clue what they might be), but, without that barrier of oil or whatever to protect it, people with dry skin can break out pretty easily. I guess. It happens so there must be a reason....I personally did not have dry skin til after I started using products and it took a course of antibiotics before using nothing but water would get it back to normal. Before that, even regular water would dry it out. Takes a long time though. Some products made my face dry, some made it dry then super oily, and now using nothing but water makes it perfect. Ironic.

Oily skin is not a required element in acne.

sorry but i think ur wrong

If I'm wrong, then why do some people with dry skin breakout?

Oily skin is not necessarily a required element for acne. An optician that I used to see a few years ago, had oily skin, but no hint of acne. If the keritinization rate of the skin is normal, then the oil will flow through freely and not get blocked in the pore, where bacteria will multiply.

i didnt say all people with oily skin get acne i said it doesnt make sense for people with dry skin to get acne. and yes i did state that oil is a required element for acne. i fail to understand that if your skin is dry andthere is no sebum, then how can your pores get clogged.

however, if your skin is irritated because of certain chemicals like benzoyl peroxide or retinols, etc. then i could see the connection with irritation and acne/redness.

Just because skin appears dry doesnt mean there is no sebum on the surface. All skin has a certain level of sebum on the surface except people who use accutane and other treatments that shut down production. Dry skin can still get breakouts because all it takes is one pore out of millions to get blocked. People with oily skin have a larger proportion of sebum on the surface so they are more prone to breakouts. Dont go shouting that dry skin doesnt get breakouts, because it evidently does.

Just because skin appears dry doesnt mean there is no sebum on the surface. All skin has a certain level of sebum on the surface except people who use accutane and other treatments that shut down production. Dry skin can still get breakouts because all it takes is one pore out of millions to get blocked. People with oily skin have a larger proportion of sebum on the surface so they are more prone to breakouts. Dont go shouting that dry skin doesnt get breakouts, because it evidently does.

i realize that!! that's why i gave u golden instructions on how to unclog our pores and keep them clean.... :wall:

Your skin can get dehydrated due to WATER loss ... "dryness" doesn't necessarily equate to "absence of sebum".

Harsh products (detergents, strong acids/alkalines, etc.) can cause dehydration by damaging the lipid barrier of the skin (which is NOT made up of sebum, BTW, but of something called "epidermal lipids".) This damage enables something called trans-epidermal water loss, which basically means that water is evaporating from your skin cells ... so you can have "dry" skin even though you have high sebum production.

People tend to use the term "dry" interchangeably to mean both "low sebum production" and "dehydrated" ... hence the confusion ... I see it all over this board.

Anyway, there have been studies showing that dehydrated skin is actually MORE prone to comedone formation. So yes, you can have "dry" -- meaning "dehydrated" skin and still break out badly.

All the more reason to treat your skin gently .... use a gentle cleanser plus an appropriate treatment for your condition ... don't use toners, don't over-medicate, don't get too much sun exposure, don't stress out your skin in general.

Things that help restore the lipid barrier: topical emu oil, topical copper peptides, oral EFAs (essential fatty acids).

Pores do not "open" and "close", by the way .... if you don't believe me, ask LabGirl.

I have dry skin, and acne. My skin doesn't even begin to get shiny unless I haven't washed it for a full 24 hours.

TO TREAT:

What i did to treat my existing acne is use a GEL teice a day with salicylic acid and glycolic acid which are two unharsh ingredients. the salycilic acid treated the active zits, and the glycolic got rid of the redmarks. I don't even wash my face with cleansers anymore. if by using the salyclic acid your face becomes a little dry, cut it down to once a day.

* the specific product i used is called Zirh Fix which is quite expensive but worked exremely well. u can find it at zirh.com (skin care for men). if you want you can find your own product with these 2 ingredients that should be just as affective.

TO PREVENT:

acne forms because of oil clogging your pores. If your pores arent' clogged you won't get acne. Simple as that. SO what's the best way to prevent your pores from being clogged? FACIAL STEAMING. heres how to facial steam:

1. boil water

3. let water cool off a bit (make sure it isn't too hot or your face wil get irritated)

3. grab a towel, place over your head and put your face over the bowl about 3-5 inches from the water level.

SKIN CARE TIPS:

I have stopped moisturizing my face for about 3 weeks and im virtually clear. I really think that all moisturizers clog pores. See what people do is wash there face with warm water, which opens up pores, then apply pore-clogging moisturzier on their skin and wonder why they get acne. The reason you have acne is because of clogged pores and excess oil. We all have oily skin because we all have acne.

So we dont' need moisturizers. NOBODY here has dry skin therefore NOBODY here needs to moisturize. If your skin appears dry then it is probably irritated because of some chemicals you're putting on your face. Keep it simple people and your skin will thank you.

Whenever water touches my face, it has to be COLD. cold water improves circulation and will keep your pores closed. Therefore i always take COLD showers to make sure my pores don't open up and accumulate dirt and bacteria.

Argh. Another LONG COMPLICATED process that probably only has a small chance of success.

TO TREAT:

TO PREVENT:

1. boil water

SKIN CARE TIPS:

Argh. Another LONG COMPLICATED process that probably only has a small chance of success.

lol whats complicated about boiling water and putting a towel over your head. Sounds like a gd idea, if it works for you it should work for some other people as well

steaming takes out moisture from what i herd...which isnt good for sensitive skin orpeople with dry skin.

if i don use moisturizer i feel so tight and peeling on certain areas...but ya i do get oily in some areas too

but dryness does cause wrinkles to show more too...so idunno about not using a moistruizer at all

NOBODY here has dry skin therefore NOBODY here needs to moisturize

Please don't generalize. It's great that you have got clear and I am really happy for you. :)

But please do not assume that because you have found a way to manage your skin - that you now know everything about other peoples. I love hearing how people have overcome their acne - but thats the point, they have overcome their acne, no one elses.

I suffer from dry skin, I always have, on my arms, legs, face, everywhere, and if I don't moisturise my legs and arms I get severe excema and occasional contact dermatitis. Even when I use nothingon my face, it will get very dry. It's not diet related, it's due to a hormonal imbalance. My crazy hormones have also blessed me with acne.

I have dry skin, and I have acne. Am I an exceptional person? No. I'm just unlucky; like a lot of people on this forum.

Lucy x

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Donkey Puncher started a thread on May 2nd about how well Minocin worked for people. Obviously, Donkey, your advice is not as golden as you build it up to be. How long have you been doing this that you're confident enough to say the things ur saying. If getting rid of acne was a simple as steaming and using cold water afterwards, I doubt it would be much of a problem.

well ill say that Steaming is excellent for cleaning out pores and has helped clear my acne dramatically. Also it does make my complexion look so much better. ANd yes i think washing with cold water is key. AS for moisturizer i guess it's your call, i shouldnt be generalizing and say that no one should use it but it doesnt make sense because people with acne have oily skin. I wanna add that i too did have dry skin and that's why i was applying moisturizer. But after starting to take cold showers and washing my face with cold water my skin isnt dry anymore therefore i don't need a moisturizer.

I still do get one or two pimples every once in a while. That's why i inquired about Minocin and also because i have 60 pills which were prescrbied to me about 3 months ago but i never took them. I was thinking about taking them now thats why i was asking about it.