Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JBHK

Accutane and antibiotics

I have recently started seeing a dermatologist in Hong Kong who has prescribed me 30mg per day of Accutane AND an oral antibiotic. I am about 115 pounds and he says that I should stay on the Accutane for approximately 6 months. My condition is moderate/severe with numerous cysts. His combination has so far been very helpful. I have had 2 weeks on the antiobiotics and 1 week on the Accutane my face looks 10 times better already. BUT I am worried about taking both two sets of drugs at the same time and cant find any other posts where people mention it. That said, I am also worried about quitting the antibiotics because I would really rather avoid getting the initial breakout on Accutane if possible. Anyone had any similar experiences? :think:

Both long term?

I don't like the idea of long term antibiotic use, personally, and there's all sorts of research suggesting it's a bad idea.

Accutane: 30mg/day is a really weak dose for your weight. Does he plan on increasing it each month?

Six months is typical for a course of Accutane but 30mg/day for the entire six months is bordering on long term low dose.

When do you see him next? Has he done the blood tests?

Overlapping a course of antibiotics with an Accutane course can serve to minimize any initial breakout. But you can't take -cylin antibiotics with Accutane at all, it increases the chances of psuedotumor cerebri (benign brain swelling). Other types of antibiotics are not contraindicted.

However, i agree with Susan that antibiotics really aren't a great idea for long-term treatment and at this point in my life i will refuse any further antibiotic courses. If you are not comfortable taking the antibiotics you should discuss it with your doctor.

Thanks for the responses. The antibiotic is Klacid MR - I have never heard of it before and I have been on loads of antibiotics in the UK. I think you are right about long term antibiotic use (I quit taking all meds for about 2 years) but my skin looked dreadful when I went to see him and I am just glad that it has really improved in a pretty short space of time.

At the moment my appointments are quite frequent, the first two being a week apart and the third being in two weeks. After that he said he will prescribe on a monthly basis. I don't think he intends to prescribe the antibiotics for the entire course of the Accutane but he hasn't been specific about how long I should take it. At the moment I only have enough until the next two week appointment. I have to get my blood work done separately in time for the next appointment. Things work quite differently in HK - he didn't insist that I have a pregnancy test because I told him there was no way I could be pregnant (and I mean no way :lol: ). He was happy with that.

Re the dose - its low but I dont think its unheard of. I am pretty small (he says the maximum he could prescribe is 50 mg per day) and he says he could up it if I wanted to stay on it for a shorter period of time (e.g. 40mg for 4 months). But, because I was so scared of the side effects, I think he started me low.

Thanks again for your thoughts! I'll see what happens in 2 weeks.

Hi i just wanted to say that i am starting accutane today and going to continue my antibiotic for the first couple of weeks to avoid a breakout... my derm says its perfectly safe but it also depends on which one it is...when you stop breaking out completely I would ditch the antibiotic.

Jen - Thanks for that. Glad to know that others are being treated in a similar way.