Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
illusion_41

Hyperpigmentation Treatment

Hey guys, I've been on minocycline and CSR for about 5-6 weeks now, and my acne is subsiding :) , which is great news. However, it has become evident that I have quite severe hyperpigmentation on my skin. It's kinda faded red, and in some lights perhaps even purple-ish :confused: . So I was wondering how I could deal with this problem, and if there were any sorts of treatments in order to help regain a natural skin tone. I think I read somewhere that it is better to address the acne first, so I'm waiting till it dies off, but I was hoping some of you guys might have some tips and advice regarding this topic.

well im on minocycline too (idk if its helping much anymore =/) but also have pigmentation problems... i know

there are a few things out ther to try but atm i only do aha... not too sure wt other things to try but if ur on the

csr then u may not want to put too many things on the list

best bet is.....

Du du dooooo..........

AHA moisturiser

a moisturiser that contains lactic acid is what u want

it helps to replenish skin cells faster an therfore ur redmarks fade quicker!

He works for Eucerin!!!

He speaks the truth tho

How much minocycline do you use per day? ive seen some people taking insane amounts compared to what is recommended.

best bet is.....

Du du dooooo..........

AHA moisturiser

a moisturiser that contains lactic acid is what u want

it helps to replenish skin cells faster an therfore ur redmarks fade quicker!

is there a way to get buy lactic acid by itself?

He works for Eucerin!!!

He speaks the truth tho

Who does? Dami?

Also, do you think that Eucerin Clear Skin Renewal stuff would also work for my orangey/tan-colored pigmentation caused by the BP gel? I just bought some from Amazon...

i dont think u can, im pretty sure its concentrated wen in a moisturiser, pure lactic acid sounds dangerous heh

Also, do you think that Eucerin Clear Skin Renewal stuff would also work for my orangey/tan-colored pigmentation caused by the BP gel? I just bought some from Amazon...

^that is what happens wen u start the regimen im affraid, dont worry it wil go away, but i dont think the eucerin wil help, it sorta burns the 1st few times u apply it coz of the AHA. not painful or nethin it jus sorta stings like aftershave does!

but that wil stop, as wil ur orangy skin.

but there isnt a way around the redskin thingy i dont think hun!

sorry x

i dont think u can, im pretty sure its concentrated wen in a moisturiser, pure lactic acid sounds dangerous heh

^that is what happens wen u start the regimen im affraid, dont worry it wil go away, but i dont think the eucerin wil help, it sorta burns the 1st few times u apply it coz of the AHA. not painful or nethin it jus sorta stings like aftershave does!

but that wil stop, as wil ur orangy skin.

but there isnt a way around the redskin thingy i dont think hun!

sorry x

thanks for responding, dami!!

wow, so you had the orangey/tan/brownish thing too? i thought i was the only one, since nobody has replied yet to my posting about it (i posted about 12 hours ago, and a bunch of ppl have viewed it). i'm just weirded out because this is different from redness. i had redness too, but the brown thing is different.... looks really bizarre on my fair skin, and makes me hesitant to keep with the reg, even tho it is definitely working for the pimples.

if you had this too, how long did yours take to go away?

er to be honest if u look at my chin area its a SLIGHTLY different colour 2the rest of my face

but that might jus be coz i have2 shave there aswel obviously

i think my sorta tanned looking chin went away after a week or so

Thats what u mean isnt it

that u sorta look like uve caught the sun there?

coz if that is wat u mean then im right in sayin it wil fade within a few weekies :D

stick with the regimen! an feel free to PM or ask me or ne1 questions

we are rather helpful u know :)

er to be honest if u look at my chin area its a SLIGHTLY different colour 2the rest of my face

but that might jus be coz i have2 shave there aswel obviously

i think my sorta tanned looking chin went away after a week or so

Thats what u mean isnt it

that u sorta look like uve caught the sun there?

coz if that is wat u mean then im right in sayin it wil fade within a few weekies :D

stick with the regimen! an feel free to PM or ask me or ne1 questions

we are rather helpful u know :)

yeah, it looks like i've had too much sun there. but it's really distressing, because i feel like it was already there (leftover from Proactiv a few years back [hence, caused by BP]), but is now worsened by the Regimen. not only that, because i'm female, unless I try to cover it w/makeup (which I have for a couple of years now, but not since Day 1 of the Regimen [and I am nearing the end of Week 3 now]), from far away it sort of looks like I have a 5 o'clock shadow (mustache & beard)!

i just hate that the two halves of my face are slightly different colors -- it's embarrassing. and because i think it's leftover from the Proactiv, i'm doubtful that it will go away entirely. funny, i was going to email dan and ask him if he experiences this, since according to his instructional video, we both use the BP on the exact same areas of our faces. but i think this type of thing would certainly be less noticeable for guys, since they shave those areas (so there is hair there). for a woman, it's just odd looking -- and to me, a very prominent contrast compared to my totally normal-looking, fair-skinned forehead, nose, and cheeks....

i'm jealous of the people for whom the Regimen works/clears them up & their skin returns to normal and they can just continue on with their lives, makeup-free! not to sound too depressing, but i'm thinking i'll probably just be doomed to wear makeup (whenever i need to look halfway "normal," anyway) for the rest of my life.

in any case, thanks for your help, Dami... you're really sweet.

then my advice is maybe PM janiet (she is from UK too)

as she only uses the regimen once a day at night

im sure something along those lines wil help solve the redness?

coz ur not bp'ing it all the time hehe

hi clear dream

i'm going through the same thing right now, and i was a faithful proactiv user for 2 years....

i'm not sure what products you're using, but i just recently switched from the proactiv bp to dan's bp, and because dan's doesn't have the moisturizers in it like proactiv's, my skin's trying to acclimated to bp again. right now, my fair skin also looks tan on my face and neck as opposed to my chest.... it kind of looks like i have a demarkation line from not blending in my makeup well enough, but i don't have any makeup on!!

anyway, if you've switched products, you might be going through the same thing i am, and i really think you're skin's just trying to readjust. give it a couple weeks.... that's what i plan on doing.

Hey guys, thanks for replying. I have that tan thing you are talking about, but I've also got splotches of dark dark red or bruisey colored spots which seem to be remnants of previous pimples. I've gathered that Eucerin and AHA can help, but in regard to the tanning thing, I've been on the CSR for about 6 weeks and I look much darker than usual. Is this caused by sensitivity to the sun (I have been in it), or something else. Thanks for your help.

i've actually wondered the same thing. bp does increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun, and that may be a factor, but i think the main factor is just the harsh side effects of applying so much bp to your face, at least, that's what dami3n's reply infurs, and dan's warnings support. the severity each of us experiences is going to be different, but eventually i think your skin will get used to it, even though we have to suffer in the meantime....

if it's really bothering you, you might want to cut way back on the bp. maybe apply it at night only or try just decreasing the amount of bp your using and see if that helps. unfortunately, i think we just have to wait it out. i may have a bit darker skin for awhile, but my skin is dramatically clearing; it's a give and take.

just as reference, i've been on the csr for a little over two months and am just experiencing this now too, so i know how frustrating it can be. eucerin and aha will help to speed up the exfoliation of your skin and helps reduce some discoloration, but if it's attributed to bp sensitivity, i'm not sure it will help. does anyone else know?

i've actually wondered the same thing. bp does increase your skin's sensitivity to the sun, and that may be a factor, but i think the main factor is just the harsh side effects of applying so much bp to your face, at least, that's what dami3n's reply infurs, and dan's warnings support. the severity each of us experiences is going to be different, but eventually i think your skin will get used to it, even though we have to suffer in the meantime....

if it's really bothering you, you might want to cut way back on the bp. maybe apply it at night only or try just decreasing the amount of bp your using and see if that helps. unfortunately, i think we just have to wait it out. i may have a bit darker skin for awhile, but my skin is dramatically clearing; it's a give and take.

just as reference, i've been on the csr for a little over two months and am just experiencing this now too, so i know how frustrating it can be. eucerin and aha will help to speed up the exfoliation of your skin and helps reduce some discoloration, but if it's attributed to bp sensitivity, i'm not sure it will help. does anyone else know?

wow, thank you so much for replying about this topic! i'm sorry you have to go thru it, but it makes me feel a *whole* lot better knowing i'm not the only one!! truly.

i don't think it's related to sun exposure, because, quite frankly, my sun exposure has been almost non-existent since i started the regimen. i'm at work 9-5 during the week, and have been busy indoors on the weekend days.

i think you're right, lexy -- i think it's the BP itself. my specific concerns are:

1. what if this is permanent (i.e. what if i quit the Regimen entirely, but the "tan" stayed forever?)

or

2. what if it simply stays as long as i'm on the regimen, so that i basically have to choose between living with pimples or living with this freakish-looking orangey shade?

to answer one of your previous questions, here is my current regimen:

MORNING

*wash very gently in shower with Purpose liquid cleanser

*wait 10-15 min, then apply a pea-sized portion of dan's BP gel (i only added morning BP at the beginning of week 3 [am now nearing the end of week 3]).

*wait another 15 or so... then apply a generous amount (2-3 pumps?) of EITHER Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive or Neutrogena Oil-Free SPF 15, to entire face & neck.

NIGHT

*wash very gently with Purpose liquid cleanser

*wait 10-15 min, then apply about 1/2 a finger of dan's BP gel. (i only need it for chin + area around mouth.... plus i have small fingers, hehe). i worked up to this amount, arriving at the full amount in the last couple of days.

*wait about 15 more minutes... then apply extremely generous amount of Neutrogena Oil-Free Sensitive.

incidentally (and i don't know if you guys experience this too, but...), i consistently have a burning sensation upon application of the BP gel... which increases when i put on the moisturizer (doesn't matter if i use SPF or Sensitive). it's pretty intense burning, esp. at night, when i increase the portions of both the gel and the moisturizer. but i've just kind of figured it's something i've got to grin and bear. i go to bed with the burning, but it's gone by morning. the discoloration is more worrisome to me.

anyway... that was a lot to write out! any new thoughts? hugs to lexy and illusion and everyone else out there with this scary looking pseudo-tan!!!!! oh god, that sounds awful... hahahahaaaa :D

Hey guys, thanks for replying. I have that tan thing you are talking about, but I've also got splotches of dark dark red or bruisey colored spots which seem to be remnants of previous pimples. I've gathered that Eucerin and AHA can help, but in regard to the tanning thing, I've been on the CSR for about 6 weeks and I look much darker than usual. Is this caused by sensitivity to the sun (I have been in it), or something else. Thanks for your help.

man, i wonder if there's someone out there who's experienced this, who's been on the Regimen for several months... who could give us some "clear" (excuse the bad pun :doh::) ) answers....

all i know is i'm watching the mailbox, waiting for my Eucerin! (and if it works, you can be sure i'll be on the phone w/the company, pushing them to put it back on the market! :cool:

omg!!!! we ARE going through the exact same thing!!! i also get a burning sensation when putting on bp and it heightens when i put on the moisturizer! it didn't ever happen with the proactiv bp, so i think it's just changing products. someone responded to your other thread and said she thought it may be her moisturizer, but she's using purpose, and we're both using neutrogena, so i'm not sure if this would be applicable to us as well.

hmmm.... well, this is what i can tell you..... i've only been using dan's bp for a little less than a week; i decreased the amount i was using, and the burning sensation has dissipated to a more tolerable level, but the ugly tanning is still there. in fact, i was at my parents last night and my dad asked me if i had gone tanning or was in the sun. ahhh! i thought i was being obsessive and was the only one who really noticed!!! (normally i wouldn't have a problem since i'm so pale and the coloring is probably good, but not so much when you can't control it!!)

i don't think it's permament... i had a similar experience when i used differin a few years back, and it went away when i stopped. i think our skin's probably just a little more sensitive than others, and it's a process of figuring out exactly how much and how often to use bp.

if this helps at all, what i'm planning on doing is continuing as i have been for another week or so, and if it's still there, i'm going to stop bp for a couple days to let my skin rest, and then start all over again to see what my skin can handle.

omg!!!! we ARE going through the exact same thing!!! i also get a burning sensation when putting on bp and it heightens when i put on the moisturizer! it didn't ever happen with the proactiv bp, so i think it's just changing products. someone responded to your other thread and said she thought it may be her moisturizer, but she's using purpose, and we're both using neutrogena, so i'm not sure if this would be applicable to us as well.

hmmm.... well, this is what i can tell you..... i've only been using dan's bp for a little less than a week; i decreased the amount i was using, and the burning sensation has dissipated to a more tolerable level, but the ugly tanning is still there. in fact, i was at my parents last night and my dad asked me if i had gone tanning or was in the sun. ahhh! i thought i was being obsessive and was the only one who really noticed!!! (normally i wouldn't have a problem since i'm so pale and the coloring is probably good, but not so much when you can't control it!!)

i don't think it's permament... i had a similar experience when i used differin a few years back, and it went away when i stopped. i think our skin's probably just a little more sensitive than others, and it's a process of figuring out exactly how much and how often to use bp.

if this helps at all, what i'm planning on doing is continuing as i have been for another week or so, and if it's still there, i'm going to stop bp for a couple days to let my skin rest, and then start all over again to see what my skin can handle.

omg... ! ok, i have to go out tonight, but i'm going to try to logon later and reply to this....

I was on 100mg twice a day of the mino (if i remember correct) and was for a year and a bit... never got any of the hyper pigmentation although I looked out for it and followed the rules (not within certain times of milk products and meals etc)