Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
real maverick

After sun lotion, instead of moisturiser........

Hi guys, this is just an idea I had, and I'm not sure whether it's a good one or not, but it makes sense, *I* think...

I see the effects of BP have some similarities to that of the sun, i.e burning and drying, sometimes my skin looks slightly sun kissed.

Moisturiser is used for general use, after being in the sun you need something extra and hence use after sun.

I don't think moisturisers were created in mind of the drying and burning effects of BP, lets face it, its quite a harsh chemical.

Perhaps aftersun is better equiped to combat the negative effects of BP by cooling our skin and keeping it soothed and moist.

What do you guys think?

"Specially designed to nourish the outer layers of the skin after a day out in the sun, this mango butter body lotion contains moisturising ingredients that will prevent the skin from drying out and preserve its natural moisture balance. Soothe the skin whilst leaving it lightly perfumed"

Seems they are no different to most moisturisers maybe with added skin calming ingredients? aloe vera..

Well I know I'd not apply moisturiser when I had sun burn, a good aftersun stops or at least helps prevent you from peeling as well as soothes the burns, I dont think moisturiser is well equipped to soothe the burns from BP..

Well thats IMO

well, if you could find one that is oil-free and non-comedogenic, it might be worth a try.

Thing is sometimes those after sun treatments have lidocaine to take away the pain of sunburn, and other ingredients that might aggravate acne.

But if you can find one that's okay for acne-prone skin, it might work out okay.

Have you looked around and read some lable's Paul?

I'm gonna try to go and have a look around this evening, see what I can find.

I do think it's worth a try, as it may help those who are still dry no matter how much moisturiser they use, I'm sure it will help the redness to.

Ok I went to BOOTS in the UK and had a look at EVERY after sun they had to offer.

99% of them didn't state they were non pore blocking, so I didn't even consider those.

I found 2 that interested me, first one by SIMPLE, I love their products, they are always very gentle to the skin and perfume free, and it stated non pore blocking, it comes in a 300ml tub. It contains Green tea as an Anti Oxidant, Aloe Vera to sooth and moisturise, Oat-Beta-Glucan as an Anti irritant, Vitamin E, Vitamin B5. It cost £6 for 300ml.

The second was by loreal, it contained AHA and a very mild tanning agent, however it didn't state non pore blocking so I put it back and decided to go for the SIMPLE.

I got home and couldn't resist so I smoothed a little over my face, it went on smoothly and vanished within a few seconds leaving no shine or greasy feeling, I had a small patch of dry skin that it's moisturised perfectly, really impressed with the initial application, as long as it doesn't cause me to break out it could be perfect.

I'm convinced that aftersun is more appropriate than moisturiser while using BP.

yea, I usually like to try out a product (new cleanser or moisturizer) for a week or two before deciding whether or not it's good, mainly because it sometimes takes several days before you realize you are beginning to break out from a new product, or it doesn't hold up over time.

Let us know how it works over time Paul (real maverick)!

I have heard good things about Simple products, but we don't have that in the US.