Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Donttouchthat

EXTREMELY annoying diet correlation

Hey all,

I have found that large amounts of protein directly effects my acne. This is really frustrating to me, because my metabolism is so high, that I cannot make any gains without taking protein supplements. I have tried (from GNC powder form) Egg white protein, Whey Protein, Soy Protein (and tried various brands of each including isopure which was reccomended for people who are sensitive to protein). I know there is a direct connection because when I take one shake at night, I will wake up and have a massive break out that will last weeks (sometimes over a month). I can go up to 6 months without a single pimple, and then one protein shake will make me break out like crazy. Is there anything I can take to help this? I've pretty much given up on protein suppliments all together now, but is there a way to kill the break outs caused by it? Also, how can it effect me for such a long period of time? Will topicals even help what seems to be an internal imbalance? Thanks in advance!

I've heard it can be 'dirty protiens' that are the reason you break out, as in ones that have been heated up too high i.e. everything you cook. You could try getting protein from raw eggs and raw sushi and see how that effects you. Or if you live in California, you could buy raw milk at the store. If you go any of those routes you might also want to supplement with probiotics (in themselves good for skin / digestive health) as to avoid risks associated with eating raw foods, like e. coli and other bad bacteria.

I also break out from excess proteins. Cooked proteins and animal proteins break me out more than nut proteins. Fat doesn't break me out at all so I eat copious amounts of different kinds of fat. Oddly, with the amount of fat I eat I always expect to get really fat, but I don't. My appetite seems to adjust itself to keep my body at a good weight. Also, fat doesn't seem to give me the water retention that large amounts of protein and carbs do so I look slimmer and healthier. Of course I eat protein and carbs, but I just lessen the amount in proportion to fat. This is in line with some of Wai's ideas (like Rubber sheep alluded to).

Yeah, isn't it nice that high fat diets don't make you fat? All that low fat propaganda of the 90's was a bunch of bullshit. I seem to feel best when I eat high fat, mainly the medium chain saturated fats from coconut oil / milk.

But I wonder, could a lack of protein also break you out? Like those on a vegan diet who don't combine foods properly to get complete sources of protein, and who don't consume much soy (which is a bad source of protein anyway, except the fermented versions but in lesser amounts).

We can't eat wheat, and according to one thread here, no grains at all.

We can't eat dairy, not even low fat stuff.

We can't eat sugar and therefore fruits with high amounts of sugar (wouldn't that be just about all fruits?).

We can't eat soy according to a thread here.

We can't eat protien (that cuts out meat and eggs).

What can we eat? Vegetables only? Nah, someone here is going to find something wrong with that too.

Can we eat those Brocolli pills? Nah, someone here is going to find something wrong with them too.

We're fucked. :doh:

I've heard it can be 'dirty protiens' that are the reason you break out, as in ones that have been heated up too high i.e. everything you cook. You could try getting protein from raw eggs and raw sushi and see how that effects you. Or if you live in California, you could buy raw milk at the store. If you go any of those routes you might also want to supplement with probiotics (in themselves good for skin / digestive health) as to avoid risks associated with eating raw foods, like e. coli and other bad bacteria.

Drinking raw milk is like begging to be infected with e.coli.

Eating raw eggs can invite salmonilla (sp?)

We can't eat sugar and therefore fruits with high amounts of sugar (wouldn't that be just about all fruits?).

What can we eat? Vegetables only? Nah, someone here is going to find something wrong with that too.

Can we eat those Brocolli pills? Nah, someone here is going to find something wrong with them too.

it's INDIVIDUAL. The misconception is that one person posts one thing that makes them breakout,another something else, another something else, and people come on here and combine 9 different diets to form an impossible diet.

Just use a little common sense.

Ive noticed that I break ot when I eat ice cream, which drives me nuts, but its always hard to know if it is causing my breakout.

Quit whining. YOU can eat whatever you want.

I wish it were just the 'dirty' protein supplements that caused me to breakout. But I've tried Designer Whey, Muscle Milk, Isopure (supposed to be the purest form), etc etc. Sooo many different kinds of proteins that all had the same reaction. Dieting for your complexion is a PITA! I don't eat any candy ever, no chocolate ever, no dairy (this means anything with milk or cheese), no snacks (chips etc), no soda, I pretty much eat like a health nut all because I am afraid of breaking out.

I wish it were just the 'dirty' protein supplements that caused me to breakout. But I've tried Designer Whey, Muscle Milk, Isopure (supposed to be the purest form), etc etc. Sooo many different kinds of proteins that all had the same reaction. Dieting for your complexion is a PITA! I don't eat any candy ever, no chocolate ever, no dairy (this means anything with milk or cheese), no snacks (chips etc), no soda, I pretty much eat like a health nut all because I am afraid of breaking out.

Actually, all those forms of protein would be considered 'dirty'. Any protein not in its raw natural form is dirty. Don't be tricked by companies' marketing labels. 'Designer' means nothing.

Why don't you just stay away from these odd and expensive newfangled protein powders. If you really feel you need so much protein try cooking meat. If that gives you acne then maybe you have to except that you don't need so much protein and you're not meant to look like Arnold Schwartzeneger. Some adventurous types can eat raw animal proteins without getting acne, but this is disgusting to most and somewhat risky.

BTW, you say you eat no dairy, but whey is from milk so you are still getting plenty of dairy.

yet these are way healthier for you and your becoming imune to trace amounts. Avoiding things your more likely to get sick especially at a old age look at them they eat jello all they eat is sterile food. My friends grandpaw has a farm and eats 1 raw egg yolk everyday and he is strong working hard on the farm everyday it amazes me. Ofcourse there is an awareness but the good far outweighs the bad!

it's INDIVIDUAL. The misconception is that one person posts one thing that makes them breakout,another something else, another something else, and people come on here and combine 9 different diets to form an impossible diet.

That's MY point! I was being facetious. Everyone on this board is dissing this and dissing that as being ALL BAD and are telling us not to eat it at all. Read through the threads and absolutely EVERYTHING that people eat is being attributed to causing acne. And I think people are going a little crazy with it.

I've being saying "Everything in moderation and use common sense" too but nobody listens.

I'm not whining.

I'm making fun at all the extreme diet advice here that goes beyond ridiculous.

I was being facetious.

yet these are way healthier for you and your becoming imune to trace amounts.

No, they're not.

Hey donttouchthat,

I am similar to you with the whole protein thing. I want to look like the big muscular guy too but alas my body does not want that. If I eat more than a little protein in a day I'm fucked. I think that with you it may be somewhat of a digestive issue. If you wanted to test that theory out then all you need is some UDO's choice super 8 high potency probiotics, and some Betaine Hydrochloric Acid. Theese two things will easily take care of bad protein digestion. If you do this and still have that breakout then I'm guessing that either it's your own mind creating a stress in your body that's breaking you out, or simply your body can't tolerate large amounts protein, like mine.

That's MY point! I was being facetious. Everyone on this board is dissing this and dissing that as being ALL BAD and are telling us not to eat it at all. Read through the threads and absolutely EVERYTHING that people eat is being attributed to causing acne. And I think people are going a little crazy with it.

I've being saying "Everything in moderation and use common sense" too but nobody listens.

I'm not whining.

I'm making fun at all the extreme diet advice here that goes beyond ridiculous.

I was being facetious.

Sorry for overlooking the joke. It's just that I see a lot of posts like yours with people stressing out to no end, attempting to avoid every food that has ever broke anyone out.

Actually, all those forms of protein would be considered 'dirty'. Any protein not in its raw natural form is dirty. Don't be tricked by companies' marketing labels. 'Designer' means nothing.

Why don't you just stay away from these odd and expensive newfangled protein powders. If you really feel you need so much protein try cooking meat. If that gives you acne then maybe you have to except that you don't need so much protein and you're not meant to look like Arnold Schwartzeneger. Some adventurous types can eat raw animal proteins without getting acne, but this is disgusting to most and somewhat risky.

BTW, you say you eat no dairy, but whey is from milk so you are still getting plenty of dairy.

I actually eat quite a lot of cooked meat. However, I work a fulltime job and don't have enough time to consume the necessary amount of protein throughout the day thus a protein shake would be the best alternative for me. I don't need to look like Arnold, however genetically i'm very thin and would rather have a nice body. I do eat raw protein (fish) all the time and do not have any reaction to it. It basically comes down to time and affordability for my protein consumption.

-BTW - I do not consume dairy. The only 'dairy' I have is one protein shake every 6 months or so which is 100% lactose free.

I actually eat quite a lot of cooked meat. However, I work a fulltime job and don't have enough time to consume the necessary amount of protein throughout the day thus a protein shake would be the best alternative for me. I don't need to look like Arnold, however genetically i'm very thin and would rather have a nice body. I do eat raw protein (fish) all the time and do not have any reaction to it. It basically comes down to time and affordability for my protein consumption.

-BTW - I do not consume dairy. The only 'dairy' I have is one protein shake every 6 months or so which is 100% lactose free.

It's too bad you are anti-dairy. Yogurt is loaded with protein.

There's the nut option, if you aren't allergic. Do a google search, (unless you already know) which nuts are highest in protein and lowest in fat. A peanut butter sandwich is a good source of protein but has a lot of fat. But he's right, stay away from that weird protein drink stuff.

I make "protein shakes" with kefir and raw egg. They're actually really tasty with some cinnamon, vanilla and stevia. Sometimes I add fruit or various oils. Kefir is more tolerable than some other dairy, plus it has loads of good bacteria for your gut, which all us acne people need.

You could also look into hemp protein.. I don't know much about it.

My uncle has been eating raw eggs for more then 20 years, he's never had salmonella or any problem.

But let's not rely on personal accounts, let's put a little logic into this first. First of all, sick chickens lay sick eggs. I buy organic, veg-fed free range eggs. I think if you want to buy dairy/eggs, you might as well buy quality products with all the shit happening in farms these days.

Second, this:

Salmonella is a serious infection, and it is believed that in the US over two-thirds of a million cases of human illnesses a year result from eating contaminated eggs. If you want more information on salmonella the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has an excellent page on this disease.

So why on earth would any competent health care professional ever recommend eating uncooked eggs?

When you carefully analyze the risk of contracting salmonella from raw eggs, you will find that it is actually quite low. A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture earlier this year (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-18) showed that of the 69 billion eggs produced annually, only 2.3 million of them are contaminated with salmonella.

So simple math suggests that only 0.003 percent of eggs are infected. The translation is that only one in every 30,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella. This gives you an idea of how uncommon this problem actually is.

While it is likely that I will consume more than 30,000 eggs in my lifetime, most of you will not. However, inevitably someone out there will find a salmonella-contaminated egg, so it is important to understand how to seriously decrease your risk of infection.

Salmonella infections are usually present only in traditionally raised commercial hens. If you are purchasing your eggs from healthy chickens this infection risk reduces dramatically. Remember, only sick chickens lay salmonella-contaminated eggs. If you are obtaining high quality, cage-free, organically fed, omega-3 enhanced chicken eggs as recommended above, the risk virtually disappears.

But let's say that for some reason, even after following that advice, you still obtain an egg that is infected. What do you do? Well, before you eat eggs - raw or not -- you should thoroughly examine them for signs of infection. I have provided some guidelines at the bottom of this section for you to use in this process.

You might still be a bit nervous and say, "What if I follow these guidelines and still get an infection?"

Salmonella Is Generally a Benign Self-Limiting Illness In Healthy People

The major principle to recognize here is that if you are healthy a salmonella infection is not a big deal. You may feel sick and have loose stools, but this infection is easily treated by using high-quality probiotics that have plenty of good bacteria. You can take a dose every 30 minutes until you start to feel better, and most people improve within a few hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guidelines To Ensure That You Are Consuming Fresh High- Quality Eggs

You can go to the American Egg board for a great overview of eggs.

Always check the freshness of the egg right before you consume the yolk.

If you are uncertain about the freshness of an egg, don't eat it. This is one of the best safeguards against salmonella infection.

If there is a crack in the shell, don't eat it. You can easily check for this by immersing the egg in a pan of cool, salted water. If the egg emits a tiny stream of bubbles, don't consume it as the shell is porous/contains a hole.

If you are getting your eggs fresh from a farmer it is best to not refrigerate them. This is the way most of the world stores their eggs; they do not refrigerate them. To properly judge the freshness of an egg, its contents need to be at room temperature. Eggs that are stored in the fridge and opened immediately after taking them out will seem fresher than they actually are. Eggs that you want to check the freshness of should be kept outside the fridge for at least an hour prior to opening them.

First, check all the eggs by rolling them across a flat surface. Only consume them if they roll wobbly.

Open the egg. If the egg white is watery instead of gel-like, don't consume the egg. If the egg yolk is not convex and firm, don't consume the egg. If the egg yolk easily bursts, don't consume the egg.

After opening the egg you can put it up to your nose and smell it. If it smells foul you will certainly not want to consume it.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/nov/13/eggs.htm

And as far as raw milk,

The Real Reasons Why Raw Milk is Becoming More Popular

By Dr. Joseph Mercola

with Rachael Droege

I was happy to see a published story that documents how some families have become aware of the health benefits of raw milk and are switching to it, despite the warnings of public health officials who are ignorant about the serious damage that pasteurization does to the quality of the milk.

Less than 1 percent of the milk consumed in America is raw, which is most unfortunate as raw milk is a highly health-promoting food. Public health officials warn that raw milk poses the risk of transmitting bacteria such as listeria, E. coli and salmonella, but pasteurizing the milk kills these bacteria while extending the milk’s shelf life, which also happens to be more profitable for the dairy industry.

While it is certainly possible to become sick from drinking contaminated raw milk, it is also possible to become sick from almost any food source. But it seems that raw milk has been unfairly singled out as a risk, when only a very small risk exists. This excerpt from the Weston A. Price Foundation Web site further states my point:

Except for a brief hiatus in 1990, raw milk has always been for sale commercially in California, usually in health food stores, although I can remember a period when it was even sold in grocery stores. Millions of people consumed commercial raw milk during that period and although the health department kept an eagle eye open for any possible evidence of harm, not a single incidence was reported. During the same period, there were many instances of contamination in pasteurized milk, some of which resulted in death.

Fortunately, even though the sale of raw milk is legal only in a limited number of states, more and more people are realizing its benefits and finding their own legal sources. Here are a few of the major reasons why more people are choosing to drink their milk raw.

It Has More Nutrients

Raw milk is an outstanding source of nutrients including beneficial bacteria such as lactobacillus acidolphilus, vitamins and enzmes, and it is, in my estimation, the finest source of calcium available.

The pasteurization process, which entails heating the milk to a temperature of 145 degrees to 150 degrees F and keeping it there for at least half an hour and then reducing the temperature to not more than 55 degrees F, completely changes the structure of the milk proteins (denaturization) into something far less than healthy. While the process certainly destroys germs and bad bacteria, it also destroys the milk’s beneficial bacteria along with many of its nutritious components.

Pasteurizing milk destroys enzymes, diminishes vitamin, denatures fragile milk proteins, destroys vitamin B12, and vitamin B6, kills beneficial bacteria and promotes pathogens. You may notice that raw milk left out will sour naturally but pasteurized milk will rot. This is because the beneficial bacteria in the raw milk helps to keep putrefactive bacteria under control. Pasteurized milk, however, does not have any of the beneficial bacteria left to keep it from rotting.

Then, of course there is the issue of the antibiotics, pesticides and growth hormones and the fact that nearly all commercial dairy cows are raised on grains, not grass, like they were designed to. This will change the composition of the fats in the milk, especially the CLA content.

http://www.mercola.com/2004/apr/24/raw_milk.htm

Study up on good bacteria, probiotics and their effect on e.coli and salmonella.

Edit: Did some more research on protein and fats today. The Wai diet advocates high fat, low protein that supposedly clears acne since it can be caused by so called "dirty proteins". Well, it seems excess proteins in the diet can cause problems such as overacidity and the loss of calcium. And it turns out appropriate amounts of fat are needed to metabolize protein. Maybe this explains why people have had success doing that Wai diet... With all the high fat and low content, all protein is being metabolized and none of it is being only partially digested to cause problems. Then again, I could be off on this, so people with more knowledge about protein and it's biologicial role could correct me.

When I was a kid, my mom would make stuffing for the Thanksgiving turkey and I would be the taste-tester....before it was cooked. She used dried bread, celery, onions, butter, water, salt, pepper, sage and raw egg (as the binding ingredient. The water and butter was boiling hot so the stuffing would be warm but I have no idea if that was enough to cook the egg or not. All I know is, I like raw stuffing, LOL. But paranoid me, I won't let my kids eat anything with raw egg in it, even though I've never got sick, I won't take that chance. So no raw cookie dough for them!

As for raw milk and I wouldn't drink it because of what I've seen on the news. I live in the Portland, OR area and recently, there's been this controversy with a farmer in Washington and another in Northern California selling raw milk to people in Cal/OR/Washingington area who have been coming down with e.coli. So there have been tons of reports on what raw milk is, why there's a greater chance for e.coli, why you should't drink it, etc.. Now, I believe the peole drinking the tainted milk had bought it directly from those farmers instead of at a market but it's also important to note that the farmers were "organic" but the conditions that the milk cows lived in were filthy. So if you buy it at a market, it claims to be from an organic dairy/farmer, how is there any gaurantees that the animal's living conditions aren't filthy and unsanitary?

I get not wanting to get commercial because all those hormones and antibiotics that they give the dairy cows are found in trace amounts in the milk -- but why not buy milk that has at least been "cooked" to kill off bacteria. I'll be honest, I don't know if it's that simple to rid milk of e.coli or if you just need to throw the stuff out, but why not choose organic that has been processed correctly instead of raw and take a chance at getting sick?

Generally, I'd put this down to your body not being able to break down protein well enough.

You could go on the diet and eliminate all 'dirty' protein. I agree that some proteins are harder than others to break down, especially if they've been interfered with. But I believe the body should be able to break them down, like everyone else's body can do.

If it is your body's inability to break down these proteins, like I believe, then you must work out what is wrong with your body. Bare in mind the organs that deal with breaking down protein are the liver and the intestines. For me, it was bad intestinal flora along with a weak liver, that had taken quite a beating from the years of mercury poisoning from my amalgam fillings.