Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cinch5020

How I got clear.

Hi everybody. This isnt my first time here, i used to come here all the time, but this is the first time i ever posted anything on any site. I used to spend most of my days on sites like this, actually, trying to find that one routine that would clear my skin up forever. After 4 years i eventually found it, but it took several trips to the doctor. If you have the same type of acne that i did, your gonna have to go to the doctor too. I wont waste time with the whole dramatic story or traumatic experience of my fight with acne, cuz if your on here then you have your own story and Im sure you can all relate without a single word about it being said. Thats why im taking the time to post this. If i can help anybody get over this damn disease then I will. If you want to talk to me about anything you can email me or add me to ur msn messenger at [email protected]

Next I want to say that in all likely-hood, there are several reasons people get acne. So, unless you have the same symptoms that I did, this PROBABLY WONT WORK for you. Im also not dissing any of the other regimens that are out there. scientists and doctors know much more than i do. I just know my own skin better than them. Im sure proactive works, im sure clearasil works. Just not for me. For me, they were the cause of my pimples not the solution.

Basically, what I want to say is that for me, over the counter products ruined my skin. They destroyed the natural barrier that the skin has around it to prevent bacteria from getting inside it. And thats exactly what happened. Because my skin became so sensitive, it couldnt defend itself against foreign material and caused not only my zits, but gave me little red rashes all over my face and severe peeling. The more products I put on it the worse it got. It took several trips to different doctors before one eventually said I had perioral dermatitis. They prescribed me doxycycline 100mg (twice a day) pills and also aknemycin. At first I just took the pills cuz i really didnt want to put anything more on my face at this point. The pills did a good job, but when i finally got the guts to use the aknemycin cream i really started getting results. After about 6 months of this my face was 95% better but I was still getting some pimples now and then and i still had a couple red marks on my face that wouldnt go away. So...I stopped using everything. I threw away my cetaphil. my nivea for sensitive skin. and my dove. I washed my face twice a day with water. I am now 100% clear and I have been for over a year. My skin isnt oily, my skin isn't dry. If i get really dirty I use soap. otherwise i just rinse it. And no I don't smell bad. I still use soap on the rest of my body.

Soap isnt bad. Its not the soaps fault. It was my fault for destroying my skin with too many products. It caused me to have skin so sensitive that soaps did more harm than good. Anyway, the actual story of how this came about would take 30 pages to write so I just wanted to get the important part out. Get your acne checked out before you start just tossing products on it. If your skin is really dry and you gotta put moisturizer on and stuff all the time, consider that its all that stuff thats the main cause of your acne. Just consider it. Most importantly though, for those of you wondering if not using soap causes pimples, cuz i always figured not using soap was like a sin to the skin,.....I can say that for me, it certainly does not. and like i said, if you need any more detailed information email me. Ill be more than happy to help. I wish sumone helped me. Thanks for reading.

Thats a really weird way of takin care of your skin, but it does makes sence.

I have dry skin after i wash my face with a cleanser, after i apply a moisturizer im good for a couple of hours then i become oily. I use a gentle cleaser thats not suppose to dry out skin but im also using tazorac.

Whats your option about me trying just water?

Thats a really weird way of takin care of your skin, but it does makes sence.

I have dry skin after i wash my face with a cleanser, after i apply a moisturizer im good for a couple of hours then i become oily. I use a gentle cleaser thats not suppose to dry out skin but im also using tazorac.

Whats your option about me trying just water?

Hmm. I would say that if your going to be using tazorac on your face then you should stick with a cleanser to wash it off. When I was using aknemycin, i was using nivea face wash with it, morning and night. no moisturizer though, it just made my face super oily and made me sweat a lot. i just left my face alone afterwards, it would be oily in an hour or so anyway. It was only after my face was under pretty good control, that I decided to chuck it all and give my face a break. since then everythings been good. In regards to my skin anyway. But if what you are doing is working, stick to it. ;)

Congrats :clap:

I believe wholeheartedly in the concept of people using too many acne products and which irritated and strips the skin and make acne worse. Great job in beating the acne cycle-so few ever find their way out..

hey

First of all i think men and women need different treatments since our skin is different. actually, totally agree with what ur saying about us all being different, regardless of sex, and that we all need different solutions.

and YES less is more, sometimes it feels like washing my face twice a day is too much, and thats why i get pimples. because it is my skins way of telling me to back off!

I actually tried the water only regimen like 3 years ago. i started getting acne around the age of 17 and i mean really bad acne. but i chose to hide away and not to talk about it rather than going to the doctorssince for some strange reason it was EMBARRASSING. not that it was quite obvious what was wrong with me... but yes i felt ashamed of myself and did not want a stranger judging what was best for my skin. besides, i never believed in creams and soaps in the first place. it is a heritage from my father and quite unevitable.

anyway, for 3 years i tried a few over the counter products, nivea, neutrogena, proactive, fresh lemon juice and dermatologica. no antibiotics or other prescripted medecine, didnt wanna take it that far. THOUGH i did try Diane contraceptive pills for 1 month as a last resort but i turned into a demon and got even more depressed than before so i stopped. it just wasnt worth it.

to get to the point, for about 6 months during all this time i got fed up and thought that FUCK IT im gonna stop washing my face, since a little voice in my head said that maybe you should give your face a break. just to see what happens. and so i did, well almost, i washed my face with clean hands and hot water. it felt strange at first since it didnt leave me feeling clean at all. (maybe i should add that i never used more makeup than mascara, if you use foundation it wont work. foundtation is poision for the skin and MUST be washed of completely before one goes to bed!) but i continued only because i was tired off spending 30 min a day only on washing my face. and yes it got better. not good, no no, but better. the whole texture of my skin felt different. before it always felt like i was washing off my moisturizer in the evening, since it never really absorbes by my skin. it only stays as a thin film. by only using water my skin felt stronger, thicker, well it is hard to explain. but it got better yes indeed. so i continued with this for about 6 months. my skin never cleared up but i got less of the big, nasty, yellow pimples. overall my skin got better. then i went to australia and stepped into a dermathologist out of pure curiosity and they said that it was time to take care of my scars. so i bought cleanser and cream and shit for a small fortune. they booked me in for weekly facials and my skin started to break out again. thats when i started using products again. and i havent stopped since. this was about 3 years ago.

Ive been off dairy products now for 5 months and my skin is definatelty looking better. trying not to eat red meat too, nor deep ried stuff. it does help. i also think that my age is taking care of business a bit as well. im growing out of it.

right now im using products im quite happy with. not because they are improving my skin but because they dont make things worse. always a victory...

but after reading your message Im thinking of maybe starting the water cure again. ive read a lot about vinegar on this homepage. maybe a wash with water and a splash with vinegar could be a good idea?

the purer the product the better, feels like it.

yes i do believe it works for some of us to simply stop using products. to keep the natural balance of the skin intact!!!!

it is well worth a try since it is free and it is easy. give it a try!

i appologise for any spelling misstakes, Im swedish...

Wow, your story sounds a lot like mine. I left some things out though just to make my post shorter. First, of course I am a guy, so I never wore make-up. If you wear make-up, acne creams, or moisturizers, maybe its better to wash that off everyday. I really have no clue. When I was taking my doxycycline pills and and using my akne-mycin cream at night, I washed my face twice a day with nivea. That is when my face became extremely oily, but still, i was seeing major improvements. I was taking the pills twice a day, with water, no food within 2 hours of the pills, and I would use the akne mycin cream at night...I would really load it on my face, which is why i used it at night, that stuff is extremely thick and visible. I had to wash my face with cleanser because theres no way water was gonna get that stuff off the next day. Oh, by the way, I also did the whole vinegar thing. I bought loads of vinegar and doused my whole head with it. I tried pure aloe vera gel too. Vinegar...heh...yea didnt do anything except made me smell like..well..vinegar. and aloe vera gel. another failed attempt. NOT SAYING IT WONT WORK FOR YOU THOUGH, but for me, was just another pain in the butt shot in the dark that didnt pay off.

Also, this was not the first time I tried water only. I actually tried it twice before, both times I got great results at first, only to be severely dissapointed and back on products again a couple months later. The problem was..the damage had already been done. The bacteria was in my skin, and it needed prescription drugs to kill the bacteria first before the water only would work. And that is actually a false statement. It isn't that the water works...the water does nothing. Its just that taking away the causes of acne didnt work for me at first because the damage was so bad, they were inside of me. had to get them out first.

It took me a long time to see a doctor too. A very long time. I told my parents, but they were no help. They just told me it would go away by itself. I knew that it wouldn't. They even made me go talk to the pharamacist at my local grocery store just so she could look at me and go awwww, its ok, lots of people have acne. :ninja: So over the counter products just felt like my salvation. nice, private way to wage my war against something I had no real idea how to fight. I wanted to believe they would work, so I never gave up on them no matter how illogical it became. I would even cycle through trying the same stuff over and over. Thinking...maybe this time...I really dunno what I was thinking. I just know when Im desperate, everthing makes sense. It was embarassing to go see a doctor for acne. But after a few years, like you, I was like whatever. Anything is better than this.

Anyway, if your going to try the no water thing again, and you haven't had a course of antibiotics (i took mine for a year, the cream for 6 months) I would really recommend going to your family doctor and telling them youd like to try that first. If it didn't work for you the first time, theres not much reason for it to work the second, you gotta figure out whats wrong first. If you need any help at all feel free to to ask me. Good luck. :clap:

Congrats :clap:

I believe wholeheartedly in the concept of people using too many acne products and which irritated and strips the skin and make acne worse. Great job in beating the acne cycle-so few ever find their way out..