Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperFly

Well guys, I'm going to get serious with the regimen now.

My doctor refused to refill my antibiotic prescription meaning me acne-free getaway is over.

For those of you that know my story--perhaps I'm being a little conceited in assuming anyone here even recognizes me (Illy)--I've been struggling with acne for years, went on the CSR for about 3 months of strict adherence, and another 2.5 months of modified usage, but was breaking out the entire time. I attributed my lack of success to never having found a good moisturizer, so now that my Eucerin Skin Renewal has arrived, I'm going to put forth time, money, and energy in an all-out attempt at doing to CSR perfectly. It's my only choice now, so I might as well do it to the best of my ability.

I have a few questions, though.

1) How many pumps of Eucerin do you guys use?

2) Do you use Eucerin day and night or just during the day? Is this enough to keep your face moisturized and flake free?

3) If you only use Eucerin during the day, what do you use at night? Right now I have Cetaphil, but I hate the amount I have to apply, and, as I've said before, I have to vigorously work it into my face for a few minutes to get it properly absorbed and I believe this contributes to my failure with the regimen.

The only deviation will be in using an actual shave gel instead of the lather from my cleanser.

If anyone has any words of luck, advice, comments, flames, questions, or concerns (I really don't know why any of you should have concerns), please, post here. I'll update with my progress as I go along.

I don't use Eucerin, instead I use Cetaphil moisturizer with SPF 15 and it doesn't seem to take long to absorb though. In the evening I don't use any moisturizer but while starting the regimen you can use the cetaphil moisturizer you have, athlough it isn't the one with macadamia nut oil in it is it?

I recognize you. :)

Good luck with the regimen this time around ... if it doesn't work for you, I have a suggestion. Avene's Diacneal (0.1% retinaldehyde + 6% glycolic acid) is an OTC product that is highly effective against acne. Clinical trials were done with people who used both Diacneal and BP, and the evidence was that Diacneal actually increased the effectiveness of the BP ... it is comedolytic AND antibacterial, whereas BP is primarily antibacterial. Also I believe the Diacneal improved the absorption of the BP into the deeper skin layers.

If you check out the Avene website under Diacneal and look under clinical information, there are 4 papers available for download.

Diacneal is sold mainly thru derms and spas in Canada and Europe, but there are also some online sites that sell it ... I found some on eBay. It's good stuff. Lots of rave reviews on makeupalley.com, too ...

1) How many pumps of Eucerin do you guys use?

Four pumps of Cetaphil mixed with six pumps of Eucerin does the trick for me.

2) Do you use Eucerin day and night or just during the day? Is this enough to keep your face moisturized and flake free?

I use the four Cetaphil and six Eucerin pumps night and day, and it's eliminated 90%+ of my flakiness and dryness. It does take an hour or two to look normal (i.e. not moist) after moisturizing, but it's worth it.

Right now I have Cetaphil, but I hate the amount I have to apply, and, as I've said before, I have to vigorously work it into my face for a few minutes to get it properly absorbed and I believe this contributes to my failure with the regimen.

The amount I put on is white on my face when I put it on. Only after at least 3 minutes is it mostly absorbed. Moisturization takes me about 8-10 minutes, not only because I have to do my whole face and some of my neck, but also because it does take a bit of time to absorb.

You say 'vigorously work' -- if it's not absorbing quickly, just do it gently and give it time to absorb. It may take several minutes to absorb, but it's worth it. I actually do my mouth/cheeks first (the most dryness-prone part of my face) and spread it around, and it's white -- and while that's absorbing, I do the rest of my face, and then come back to my mouth/cheeks and finish spreading it around until it's absorbed.

If anyone has any ... advice ...

Absolutely do not skip an application and use lots of moisturizer. If my face is dry (lots of flakes) or if I skip an application, a breakout is guaranteed. Also, I wouldn't recommend using ONLY Eucerin -- my face got really red when I tried alternating Eucerin in the morning and Cetaphil at night. Mixing the two works for me.

Good luck. I think that Eucerin was the final part of the regimen that I needed for it to work well, hopefully it is that way for you, too.

Well that didn't last very long. I think I'm going to have to add Jojoba oil back into my regimen because the dryness is already out of control. GRRR I don't understand why this can never work for me.

What's more, is that now that I'm not using Jojoba after washing my face, the BP won't absorb properly. It's completely balling up with Eucerin. Anyone know what the heck is going on?