Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What I am going to tell you right now is the elusive obvious for "treating" your acne: in order to rid yourself of acne you must stop thinking about acne. You must stop focusing on your acne. I know, this is hard to do with so much pressure on appearances and even harder to make that leap of faith but BELIEVE me this is the purest and most direct solution you can do.

I put this post under the holistic section for one simple reason… you need to change your whole life not just one aspect of it. Everybody everywhere has something holding them back in life, using one excuse or another as a crutch. It just so happens that the majority of people on this forum use their acne.

This is the problem: focusing on acne creates more acne. How often do you look in the mirror? And when you do look in the mirror what are you looking at? Are you staring at your pimples, and then feel negative afterwards? If you are, you are supporting “their� existence, you encouraging more to form. You are focusing on the negative and not the positive. Positive focusing is simply wanting to have beautiful clear skin, the word acne itself is attached with such a negative feeling. The same negative feeling that you get when you look at them in the mirror, the same negative feeling that you get when your not moving forward and reaching your full potential in life.

Modern physics can offer us some insight into this. The Copenhagen interpretation of quatum mechanics esstentially says that the experimenter cannot be seperated from the experiment; the experienter influences the experiment without any physical contact but simply by his presence. He is directly linked to the outcomes by his own observation. This is related to real magick, which basically is any act performed in order to cause intentional change in reality in accordance with one's will. Remember those times you really wanted something and knew you where going to get it AND got it, well that’s magick.

Focuing on acne creates acne. Focusing on clear skin creates clear skin.

Such a simple and easy solution right? But of course there is a catch; you CANNOT force yourself to stop focusing on acne. You have to allow it to come naturally. One way which worked for me is figuring out why acne is such a problem for me, why does it really bother me? I use to get extremely depressed from acne, thinking “why me�. It’s important to be really honest with yourself here, and this is much harder then you think. Read Brad Blanton’s “Radical Honesty� if you need help in this area.

For me, the main area in my life that it was affecting my confidence with women. Actually I don’t like the word confidence. I like the phrase “being comfortable with yourself�; it was affecting me being comfortable with myself in front of women. I love women in everyway but I couldn’t bring myself to be with any one of the opposite sex when I had my acne. I felt ugly and unattractive, like "who would want me". Then I started to feel ashamed for not having a girlfriend like other people, this shame spread to other areas of my life.

Soon I didn’t want to go outside and hang with friends, I quite work, dropped out of school, and hid myself in my room. Hiding in my room focusing on my pimples, trying every single product out there and becoming more depressed each day. Suicidal thoughts popped into my mind all the time, there was no way out. It felt like I was trapped in a dark narrow cave and I didn’t know what direction I had to crawl in order to get out into the light. And I just thought that if my face cleared up everything would be better, everything would be great.

Then I had my own personal epiphany. I realized the main reason as to why I was so down about my acne, as I stated before it was because I wasn’t comfortable with myself around women and the reason for that was because of that was I didn’t feel attractive. Very straightforward. I accepted this and didn’t run away from it. I become mindful of it. Mindfulness is the Buddhist term for being aware of your thoughts and actions in the present moment, non-judgmentally. I didn’t try to force any thoughts or change my thoughts, I just let them be. When I did this my head become clear, I saw the interconnectedness of life and allowed everything to flow.

Sometimes the world seems chaotic. Everything seems out of control, hanging on by a thin thread. But to the person who achieves clarity everything is in order, everything is harmonious. I’ll call this the “gods-eye view�, god looking down on his creation. Smiling because everything is going as he planned. To me, God is not some omnipresent being residing in the sky. No, god is a word, a metaphor for what’s already inside you. The personal power that is in all of us. It is the best part of us, the purest part. Its heaven on earth. Fear covers it up. Love sets it free.

Once I accepted my situation I stopped becoming bothered by it, I stopped focusing on my acne, and started doing all those things I neglected myself from. I still felt uncomfortable with women because of my appearance but I didn’t force myself to try and be comfortable and that led me to stop thinking about that subject in general. I started concentrating and enjoying school, working out, eating right, reading, and getting involved in other projects. I didn’t focus on my acne at all. And guess what? In three months I was clear. And every time I starting getting pimples again was when I become focused too much own my personal appearance, which lead me to be focused on my acne again. But when I stopped they just as soon went away. Everything is about balance isn’t it? Interesting.

I noticed another problem I had was being ashamed of the fact that I was ashamed of my acne. Oddly enough, once I allowed myself to be ashamed of my acne I was on the road to recovery. This book I read help me with that, its called “Survival of the Prettiest : The Science of Beauty� by Nancy Etcoff. It’s a strictly scientific approach to beauty and it’s very revealing. Beauty is not a myth and it’s not a subjective notion. People actually attribute positive characteristics to attractive people, such as being more successful, content, friendly, intelligent, sociable, accessible, and funny. This is called the "halo effect." Likewise negative characteristics are attached to unattractive people. So it’s a very positive thing to want to look the best you can, and that means having clear skin.

The most revealing aspect I came across was the “averageness hypothesis�, which states that the most attractive people are the overall most average. If you take any specific physical aspect of a attractive person, on average the majority of people have a similar feature. What this means is that most people don’t want to be necessarily good looking but most people are trying not to be ugly. This is why acne is not considered attractive, because the majority of people don’t have it. If everybody had acne then it would be considered attractive. Check out this German study conducted on beauty:

http://www.uni-regensburg.de/Fakultaeten/p...glish/index.htm

I am going to wrap things up now but before I do I want to add my thoughts on common topics people talk about on this forum.

DIETING – First off the term dieting is simply stupid. Healthy eating makes much more sense. I am not going to say the food you eat effects your acne but this does make a lot of sense. When western processed foods were introduced to the Eskimos, they started breaking out from acne. Previously acne was unknown to them; there have been many cases of this with other non-western cultures. But hey, even if there is no connection, eating healthy is beneficially on its own. Treat your body as a temple like this previous post says: (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=82398) You don’t have to force yourself to eat at specific times, simply listen to you body and when its hungry have a small healthy meal. They say you should be having 4-6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones anyways. I also recommend working out and exercising, for there own sake if anything else. Imagine having a great body or six pack abs. What this means is focusing on being attractive overall, instead of just in your face.

ACNE TREATMENT – I don’t believe in using anything to the extreme. We weren’t designed for artificial junk to be put in us or on us. If certain topical, antibiotics, vitamins work for you keep using them in moderation but remember when using them don’t focus on your acne.

ACCUNTANE – This one is a tough issue for me, I was presented this option from my dermatologist but I turned it down. The side-effects and the unnaturalness of the drug is a big turn off for me. If you’re already on it, best of luck to you.

Your acne is a natural occurrence to whatever your situation is. It’s natural, it’s meant to be and it’s apart of you. I say use this struggle as a jumping point to changing your life for the better. As a general rule, you have to love yourself and loving yourself means you need to love your acne.

“You know quite well, deep within you, that there is only a single magic, a single power, a single salvation...and that is called loving. Well, then, love your suffering. Do not resist it, do not flee from it. It is your aversion that hurts, nothing else.� – Hermann Hesse

I couldn’t have said it better myself. My heart goes out to all of you.

All the best.

Peter

DIETING – First off the term dieting is simply stupid. Healthy eating makes much more sense. I am not going to say the food you eat effects your acne but this does make a lot of sense. When western processed foods were introduced to the Eskimos, they started breaking out from acne. Previously acne was unknown to them; there have been many cases of this with other non-western cultures.

The term 'dieting' isn't stupid. The true meaning of the word has just been warped in recent years do to modern peoples' obsession with quick weight loss.

It is true that Eskimos had no acne before their exposure to a western diet. They previously ate a diet almost exclusively of fish proteins and fats. Much of it was actually eaten raw. Basically, they were on an extreme Atkins Induction diet/Paleolithic diet if you want to call it that.

It is kind of you to give advice to everybody, but simply trying to forget about acne won't make it go away any more than trying to forget you have cancer will make it go away. People here are only thinking about their acne in order to try to heal themselves. This 'thinking' isn't the cause of the acne. Humans are a very smart animal and can use their 'brains' to heal themselves. This is exactly what I did. Even though I'm clear, acne is still something of an interest of mine. This is especially true because I see the current medical advice as being so lacking.

I really enjoyed the post.

Have you experimented with meditation / deep breathing techniques?

What I am going to tell you right now is the elusive obvious for "treating" your acne: in order to rid yourself of acne you must stop thinking about acne. You must stop focusing on your acne. I know, this is hard to do with so much pressure on appearances and even harder to make that leap of faith but BELIEVE me this is the purest and most direct solution you can do.

I put this post under the holistic section for one simple reason… you need to change your whole life not just one aspect of it. Everybody everywhere has something holding them back in life, using one excuse or another as a crutch. It just so happens that the majority of people on this forum use their acne.

This is the problem: focusing on acne creates more acne. How often do you look in the mirror? And when you do look in the mirror what are you looking at? Are you staring at your pimples, and then feel negative afterwards? If you are, you are supporting “their� existence, you encouraging more to form. You are focusing on the negative and not the positive. Positive focusing is simply wanting to have beautiful clear skin, the word acne itself is attached with such a negative feeling. The same negative feeling that you get when you look at them in the mirror, the same negative feeling that you get when your not moving forward and reaching your full potential in life.

Modern physics can offer us some insight into this. The Copenhagen interpretation of quatum mechanics esstentially says that the experimenter cannot be seperated from the experiment; the experienter influences the experiment without any physical contact but simply by his presence. He is directly linked to the outcomes by his own observation. This is related to real magick, which basically is any act performed in order to cause intentional change in reality in accordance with one's will. Remember those times you really wanted something and knew you where going to get it AND got it, well that’s magick.

Such a simple and easy solution right? But of course there is a catch; you CANNOT force yourself to stop focusing on acne. You have to allow it to come naturally. One way which worked for me is figuring out why acne is such a problem for me, why does it really bother me? I use to get extremely depressed from acne, thinking “why me�. It’s important to be really honest with yourself here, and this is much harder then you think. Read Brad Blanton’s “Radical Honesty� if you need help in this area.

For me, the main area in my life that it was affecting was confidence with women. Actually I don’t like the word confidence. I like the phrase “being comfortable with yourself�; it was affecting me being comfortable with myself in front of women. I love women in everyway but I couldn’t bring myself to be with any one of the opposite sex when I had my acne. I felt ugly and unattractive, like "who would want me". Then I started to feel ashamed for not having a girlfriend like other people, this shame spread to other areas of my life.

Soon I didn’t want to go outside and hang with friends, I quite work, dropped out of school, and hid myself in my room. Hiding in my room focusing on my pimples, trying every single product out there and becoming more depressed each day. Suicidal thoughts popped into my mind all the time, there was no way out. It felt like I was trapped in a dark narrow cave and I didn’t know what direction I had to crawl in order to get out into the light. And I just thought that if my face cleared up everything would be better, everything would be great.

Then I had my own personal epiphany. I realized the main reason as to why I was so down about my acne, as I stated before it was because I wasn’t comfortable with myself around women and the reason for that was because of that was I didn’t feel attractive. Very straightforward. I accepted this and didn’t run away from it. I become mindful of it. Mindfulness is the Buddhist term for being aware of your thoughts and actions in the present moment, non-judgmentally. I didn’t try to force any thoughts or change my thoughts, I just let them be. When I did this my head become clear, I saw the interconnectedness of life and allowed everything to flow.

Sometimes the world seems chaotic. Everything seems out of control, hanging on by a thin thread. But to the person who achieves clarity everything is in order, everything is harmonious. I’ll call this the “gods-eye view�, god looking down on his creation. Smiling because everything is going as he planned. To me, God is not some omnipresent being residing in the sky. No, god is a word, a metaphor for what’s already inside you. The personal power that is in all of us. It is the best part of us, the purest part. Its heaven on earth. Fear covers it up. Love sets it free.

Once I accepted my situation I stopped becoming bothered by it, I stopped focusing on my acne, and started doing all those things I neglected myself from. I still felt uncomfortable with women because of my appearance but I didn’t force myself to try and be comfortable and that led me to stop thinking about that subject in general. I started concentrating and enjoying school, working out, eating right, reading, and getting involved in other projects. I didn’t focus on my acne at all. And guess what? In three months I was clear. And every time I starting getting pimples again was when I become focused too much own my personal appearance, which lead me to be focused on my acne again. But when I stopped they just as soon went away. Everything is about balance isn’t it? Interesting.

I noticed another problem I had was being ashamed of the fact that I was ashamed of my acne. Oddly enough, once I allowed myself to be ashamed of my acne I was on the road to recovery. This book I read help me with that, its called “Survival of the Prettiest : The Science of Beauty� by Nancy Etcoff. It’s a strictly scientific approach to beauty and it’s very revealing. Beauty is not a myth and it’s not a subjective notion. People actually attribute positive characteristics to attractive people, such as being more successful, content, friendly, intelligent, sociable, accessible, and funny. This is called the "halo effect." Likewise negative characteristics are attached to unattractive people. So it’s a very positive thing to want to look the best you can, and that means having clear skin.

The most revealing aspect I came across was the “averageness hypothesis�, which states that the most attractive people are the overall most average. If you take any specific physical aspect of a attractive person, on average the majority of people have a similar feature. What this means is that most people don’t want to be necessarily good looking but most people are trying not to be ugly. This is why acne is not considered attractive, because the majority of people don’t have it. If everybody had acne then it would be considered attractive. Check out this German study conducted on beauty:

I am going to wrap things up now but before I do I want to add my thoughts on common topics people talk about on this forum.

DIETING – First off the term dieting is simply stupid. Healthy eating makes much more sense. I am not going to say the food you eat effects your acne but this does make a lot of sense. When western processed foods were introduced to the Eskimos, they started breaking out from acne. Previously acne was unknown to them; there have been many cases of this with other non-western cultures. But hey, even if there is no connection, eating healthy is beneficially on its own. Treat your body as a temple like this previous post says: (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=82398) You don’t have to force yourself to eat at specific times, simply listen to you body and when its hungry have a small healthy meal. They say you should be having 4-6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones anyways. I also recommend working out and exercising, for there own sake if anything else. Imagine having a great body or six pack abs. What this means is focusing on being attractive overall, instead of just in your face.

ACNE TREATMENT – I don’t believe in using anything to the extreme. We weren’t designed for artificial junk to be put in us or on us. If certain topical, antibiotics, vitamins work for you keep using them in moderation but remember when using them don’t focus on your acne.

ACCUNTANE – This one is a tough issue for me, I was presented this option from my dermatologist but I turned it down. The side-effects and the unnaturalness of the drug is a big turn off for me. If you’re already on it, best of luck to you.

Your acne is a natural occurrence to whatever your situation is. It’s natural, it’s meant to be and it’s apart of you. I say use this struggle as a jumping point to changing your life for the better. As a general rule, you have to love yourself and loving yourself means you need to love your acne.

“You know quite well, deep within you, that there is only a single magic, a single power, a single salvation...and that is called loving. Well, then, love your suffering. Do not resist it, do not flee from it. It is your aversion that hurts, nothing else.� – Hermann Hesse

All the best.

Peter

Gosh I wish I can reach that point in my life. I respect your post. But its alot harder to actually do this:) so you recommend that book survival of the prettiest? did that help u?

DIETING – First off the term dieting is simply stupid. Healthy eating makes much more sense. I am not going to say the food you eat effects your acne but this does make a lot of sense. When western processed foods were introduced to the Eskimos, they started breaking out from acne. Previously acne was unknown to them; there have been many cases of this with other non-western cultures.

The term 'dieting' isn't stupid. The true meaning of the word has just been warped in recent years do to modern peoples' obsession with quick weight loss.

It is true that Eskimos had no acne before their exposure to a western diet. They previously ate a diet almost exclusively of fish proteins and fats. Much of it was actually eaten raw. Basically, they were on an extreme Atkins Induction diet/Paleolithic diet if you want to call it that.

It is kind of you to give advice to everybody, but simply trying to forget about acne won't make it go away any more than trying to forget you have cancer will make it go away. People here are only thinking about their acne in order to try to heal themselves. This 'thinking' isn't the cause of the acne. Humans are a very smart animal and can use their 'brains' to heal themselves. This is exactly what I did. Even though I'm clear, acne is still something of an interest of mine. This is especially true because I see the current medical advice as being so lacking.

1) Excessive thinking can lead to stress can lead to acne breakouts, so his claims do have medical support. I agree, you can't use the mind connection as your only way of combating acne, but it certainly should play a role if you are going for the holistic treatment. After all, the point is to treat the whole person instead of using something like an antibiotic to just kill off all bacteria.

2) Could I ask how you got over your acne? Did you grow out of it? Or something else...?

Dear Peter,

I found your post really helpful and informative. A good write up old chum. It definately has some views that I was thinking of.

Bravo senor!

Thank you for sharing my friend,

Have a good one my dear friend.

Sir DonsBall.

Your very right. Our mind is one of the most important tools we have, and if used effectively it is essential in your path for clear skin and whatever other goals we want to achieve in life. I wasn't using it effectively was one of my main issues, my mind wasnt clear at all. I encourage people to use whatever clear skin regimen which works for them as long as it doesnt have negative side effects to their health. I agree with you that the current medical advice is so lacking, and I am glad to see people like you so concerned with it. There is a definite need for change in that area. I remember going to my dermatologist for the first time, and she just looked at my face and asked me a few question then said accutune was my cure. I had such a negative feeling from that experience.

Hey, yes I have. I dont really like the traditional notion of meditation, I prefer practical forms geared towards daily living. The one I mentioned in the article, "Mindfulness" is the practice I like most. Jon Kabat-Zinn writes some great books on the topic. When I am most happy is when I am not taking my thoughts too seriously. I wasnt holding on to them you know, I let them come and go as they please. The positive and the negative ones. I didnt force or repress any of them, I just let them do their business and see them leave. All our thoughts and fantasties have a reason behind them. Mostly to gain a sense of control over our lives, its a noble attempt but mostly a misguided one. The clarity which comes from being aware of your present thoughts and actions nonjudgementally is great, but its very easy to slip out of. Concentrating on your breathe can bring you into that state, but I personally dont do that very often.

Gosh I wish I can reach that point in my life. I respect your post. But its alot harder to actually do this:) so you recommend that book survival of the prettiest? did that help u?

I think one of the most important things is knowing what you want in life. Like obviously we all want clear skin here, but really knowing why can bring you a sense of relief. "I want to have clear skin because it effects this area in my life.....it effects this area in my life because...ect" In Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" he lists the thirty-one major causes of failure in life. The first is "unfavorable hereditary background" which are people who are severly physical and mentally disabled. The second is "lack of a well-defined purpose in life", this is the most important one for most people. People just drift aimless through life not knowing exactly what they want and why. Relating this back to the topic, figuring out exactly why I wanted to have clear skin gave me great clarity and made me more focused. There is this old saying that goes something like this: "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come." You have to be ready, really ready then the answers fall into your lap. And for me that meant being aware and accepting of my situation. I dont necessarily recommend the survival of the prettiest, it personally helped me come to terms with my own preoccupation with appearences. At first I was sad that we in fact view beauty so highly, but once I accepted it on purely biological terms, it made alot of sense to me.

Your very right. Our mind is one of the most important tools we have, and if used effectively it is essential in your path for clear skin and whatever other goals we want to achieve in life. I wasn't using it effectively was one of my main issues, my mind wasnt clear at all. I encourage people to use whatever clear skin regimen which works for them as long as it doesnt have negative side effects to their health. I agree with you that the current medical advice is so lacking, and I am glad to see people like you so concerned with it. There is a definite need for change in that area. I remember going to my dermatologist for the first time, and she just looked at my face and asked me a few question then said accutune was my cure. I had such a negative feeling from that experience.

Hey, yes I have. I dont really like the traditional notion of meditation, I prefer practical forms geared towards daily living. The one I mentioned in the article, "Mindfulness" is the practice I like most. Jon Kabat-Zinn writes some great books on the topic. When I am most happy is when I am not taking my thoughts too seriously. I wasnt holding on to them you know, I let them come and go as they please. The positive and the negative ones. I didnt force or repress any of them, I just let them do their business and see them leave. All our thoughts and fantasties have a reason behind them. Mostly to gain a sense of control over our lives, its a noble attempt but mostly a misguided one. The clarity which comes from being aware of your present thoughts and actions nonjudgementally is great, but its very easy to slip out of. Concentrating on your breathe can bring you into that state, but I personally dont do that very often.

I think one of the most important things is knowing what you want in life. Like obviously we all want clear skin here, but really knowing why can bring you a sense of relief. "I want to have clear skin because it effects this area in my life.....it effects this area in my life because...ect" In Napoleon Hill's "Think and Grow Rich" he lists the thirty-one major causes of failure in life. The first is "unfavorable hereditary background" which are people who are severly physical and mentally disabled. The second is "lack of a well-defined purpose in life", this is the most important one for most people. People just drift aimless through life not knowing exactly what they want and why. Relating this back to the topic, figuring out exactly why I wanted to have clear skin gave me great clarity and made me more focused. There is this old saying that goes something like this: "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come." You have to be ready, really ready then the answers fall into your lap. And for me that meant being aware and accepting of my situation. I dont necessarily recommend the survival of the prettiest, it personally helped me come to terms with my own preoccupation with appearences. At first I was sad that we in fact view beauty so highly, but once I accepted it on purely biological terms, it made alot of sense to me.

So did you become a buddist? maybe I should look into that:)

nice thread man.... :clap:

how bad was ur a acne by the way. we got similar problems actually , but mines all red marks... but anyways , cool. :cool:

Awesome post man! Really interesting. Could you tell me what books you've read?

Interesting post. Reminds me of the book The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Joseph Murphy.

It tells of how our thinking affect us in anything we do without us realizing it.

Peter

An absolutely FANTASTIC post!!! Have you ever read The Celestine Prophecy? I think it would be right up your street.

This was truly inspirational. Thank you. :D

Really good, interesting and informed post. We could do with more posts like that!

Thank you!

There is this old saying that goes something like this: "When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come."

I love that saying, so true. Thankyou so much for that Peter, wonderful post... :angel:

P.S what do you do to mediatate on a daily living basis? I dig my garden and plant stuff. I also find cooking therapeutic - the zen of chopping veg! :D

Wow... I just checked in to these forums for the first time in a long while looking for answers, but mainly expecting to find the usual discussions that I know simple don't apply to me and my pretty severe condition.

Then I saw your post and wow... SO MUCH of what you said went straight into me. It's like reading a discription of myself, but unfortunately I haven't ever taken the solutions you describe seriously enough, though they have occured to me several times.

Thank you so much peter, you've given me a beacon of hope.

That was an excellent post. I agree that focusing on your acne, having negative thoughts, stress, etc, will make your acne worse. Indeed, when I'm active and not worrying about my acne, it abates.

But I don't believe people have acne, or other aliments, merely because of negativity. I believe there is an initial physical problem that may be brought to the fore by many things, and that postivity and not concentrating on your ailments can either help abate the problem or keep the problem under control completely. But there's still a physical problem that needs to be confronted.

I'm still unconvinced. I'm fairly concerned with my appearance, but I've known many people who don't think twice about their appearance and some have had very bad skin. They are just happy go lucky people who have terrible acne. Does their great disposition make their skin improve? No, but I give them credit for just being happy. I do think their carefree attitude can actually prevent improvement if it doesn't concern them enough to do anything about it. I knew of one young man who just didn't care about his acne and it scarred him, but he still didn't really care.

For me, the main area in my life that it was affecting my confidence with women. Actually I don’t like the word confidence. I like the phrase “being comfortable with yourself�; it was affecting me being comfortable with myself in front of women. I love women in everyway but I couldn’t bring myself to be with any one of the opposite sex when I had my acne. I felt ugly and unattractive, like "who would want me". Then I started to feel ashamed for not having a girlfriend like other people, this shame spread to other areas of my life.

All the best.

Peter

I really enjoyed your post. I agree with what you said. I have been doing research on better living and came across alot of helpful information that i am currently implementing into my own life. You gave alot of people new hope from this post. Thank you!!!

I'm sorry dude, but the world is what it is regardless of how many positive feelings you force yourself to have. If your skin is developing infected legions then all the goody-goody- feelings in the world aren't gonna make em go away. It's also pretty crazy that you decided to use Quantum theory as a possible explanation for your own theory.

Awesome post man! Really interesting. Could you tell me what books you've read?

Did you have any specific topic in mind?

I am kind of interested in what you guys are reading. Any books you recommend? I always love finding out about what people are reading.

Have you ever read The Celestine Prophecy? I think it would be right up your street.

Yeah I have. Isnt there a movie coming out soon as well?

what do you do to mediatate on a daily living basis? I dig my garden and plant stuff. I also find cooking therapeutic - the zen of chopping veg! :D

I like to be aware every moment if I could. You a vegetarian? What kind of stuff you cook?

I'm fairly concerned with my appearance, but I've known many people who don't think twice about their appearance and some have had very bad skin. They are just happy go lucky people who have terrible acne. Does their great disposition make their skin improve? No, but I give them credit for just being happy. I do think their carefree attitude can actually prevent improvement if it doesn't concern them enough to do anything about it. I knew of one young man who just didn't care about his acne and it scarred him, but he still didn't really care.

I see those type of people too, I am actually pretty envious of them. Obviously if you don’t concentrate on having clear skin you wont have clear skin, but like you said they probably didn’t care either way about their acne or permanently scarring.

I'm sorry dude, but the world is what it is regardless of how many positive feelings you force yourself to have. If your skin is developing infected legions then all the goody-goody- feelings in the world aren't gonna make em go away. It's also pretty crazy that you decided to use Quantum theory as a possible explanation for your own theory.

To sound even more crazy I am going to talk about mind over matter for a bit, which is something my post is really about. Extreme cases of mind over matter are stigmata or the power of prayer. Actually effecting physical reality with merely your will power, or so it seems. It’s well documented that religionist people who pray often heal faster or cope with illness more effectively than non-religious people do. The placebo effect is similar to this, people who believe a ineffective treatment will work and it does work. The opposite for placebo effect is Nocebo effect, the phenomenon whereby a patient who believes that a treatment will cause harm actually experiences adverse effects. The key word here is BELIEVE.

I don’t think that goody-goody magical feelings are responsible for these cases of mind over matter but I do believe there is something going on here. Deep down I know, and I am sure deep down a lot of you know too, that we are all capable of doing great things. We are all capable of miracles. Now I am sure there could be scientific explanation for these effects but it’s a taboo subject amongst most scientists because it goes against this stubborn “objective� thinking that so predominate in our culture.

For me, this isn’t about magic or science. It’s about getting to that state, which I was talking about before. The state in where you really know what you want and why, a state of clarity. And in that state your willpower is at its peak. When you really want something, its sets off a conscious or unconscious chain reaction inside you that can give you the answers you’re seeking. It’s really a feeling, a feeling of you knowing your doing the right thing, a feeling of you knowing you’re using the right products for your skin. It’s a good feeling, to me its happiness.

I like the Buddhist notion that we have to unlearn what has been taught of us, instead of learning more and more things. This is something I now believe in intellectually and emotionally, just for one moment think the following: maybe, just maybe, you already know everything you need to do in your life. You just have to do it. When I am at my best is when I feel like that. That deep within me there is a “god� that already knows all the answers; I just have to listen. Its almost common sense really, when your hungry you should eat, when you touch something hot you should let it go. There is something Anis Nin said that I really liked, “When one is pretending the entire body revolts.� Essentially it’s just about being honest with what you want. Sadly most people are trained not to be honest.

One more thing. I wasn’t focusing on getting rid of my acne; I was simply focusing on having clear skin, I was extremely focused. There is a different between the two. Think about it.

For those of you interested in an introduction to Quantum theory, I really enjoyed the documentary “What the bleep do we know?� It kinda explains it in a goofy fun way. Here is a trailer: http://www.whatthebleep.com/trailer/

I understand your general point about mind over matter. I suppose what bugs me about applying this philosophy to acne specifically is it seems to be used as some kind of hope/replacement for good science.

Acne at this point in time is something of a mysterious illness. Doctors can use all sorts of big language to describe acne lesions and such, but they still don't give good answers for why this happens in the first place. They prescribe this and that and tell people to wait and see what happens. This causes great confusion and so people turn to what they've always turned to when nature's mysteries confound the masses, superstitious ideas.

I absolutely loved your post. It was the most down- to earth, practical knowledge someone could give. Thank you for that. Our negative preoccupations with ourselves, hinder us more so than any physical disorder. I experienced almost the same situation as you did ( opposite in that I was not comfortable around men that I found attractive- too self-conscious) the depression, suicidal thoughts. Sucks more for us ladies because generally we are more emotional, well I certainly am. I changed my thoughts about acne and two months later, my face is doing wonderfully- I was on the severe side in December. No magic here, and not completely clear- there are still those days, but the principle holds. So as a man speaks, so is he : My face is fine and I am too :)

True Zen buddhists who claim purity are also celibate. They don't preoccupy themselves with the opposite sex. How is that enlightenment? :rolleyes:

True Zen buddhists who claim purity are also celibate. They don't preoccupy themselves with the opposite sex. How is that enlightenment? :rolleyes:

What are you talking about? Are you reading the same thread? :think:

Were you wronged by a Zen Buddhist to specifically denounce them?

To sound even more crazy I am going to talk about mind over matter for a bit, which is something my post is really about. Extreme cases of mind over matter are stigmata or the power of prayer. Actually effecting physical reality with merely your will power, or so it seems. It’s well documented that religionist people who pray often heal faster or cope with illness more effectively than non-religious people do. The placebo effect is similar to this, people who believe a ineffective treatment will work and it does work. The opposite for placebo effect is Nocebo effect, the phenomenon whereby a patient who believes that a treatment will cause harm actually experiences adverse effects. The key word here is BELIEVE.

I don’t think that goody-goody magical feelings are responsible for these cases of mind over matter but I do believe there is something going on here. Deep down I know, and I am sure deep down a lot of you know too, that we are all capable of doing great things. We are all capable of miracles. Now I am sure there could be scientific explanation for these effects but it’s a taboo subject amongst most scientists because it goes against this stubborn “objective� thinking that so predominate in our culture.

For me, this isn’t about magic or science. It’s about getting to that state, which I was talking about before. The state in where you really know what you want and why, a state of clarity. And in that state your willpower is at its peak. When you really want something, its sets off a conscious or unconscious chain reaction inside you that can give you the answers you’re seeking. It’s really a feeling, a feeling of you knowing your doing the right thing, a feeling of you knowing you’re using the right products for your skin. It’s a good feeling, to me its happiness.

I like the Buddhist notion that we have to unlearn what has been taught of us, instead of learning more and more things. This is something I now believe in intellectually and emotionally, just for one moment think the following: maybe, just maybe, you already know everything you need to do in your life. You just have to do it. When I am at my best is when I feel like that. That deep within me there is a “god� that already knows all the answers; I just have to listen. Its almost common sense really, when your hungry you should eat, when you touch something hot you should let it go. There is something Anis Nin said that I really liked, “When one is pretending the entire body revolts.� Essentially it’s just about being honest with what you want. Sadly most people are trained not to be honest.

One more thing. I wasn’t focusing on getting rid of my acne; I was simply focusing on having clear skin, I was extremely focused. There is a different between the two. Think about it.

For those of you interesting in an introduction to Quantum theory, I really enjoyed the documentary “What the bleep do we know?� It kinda explains it in a goofy fun way. Here is a trailer: http://www.whatthebleep.com/trailer/

You are out of your damned mind. Whatever you shot up this morning, quit it, it will kill you because it's too strong.