Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mman

Initial Breakouts....is it always an Initial breakout???

So alot of us constantly break out in new spots every day, every few days, or every week.

SO- When we start a new treatment and break out, how are we to tell if it is an ititial breakout or just normal? Because if I changed my regimen to doing nothing, not even washing my face, I would probably have my normal weekly breakout. This would not be considered an initial breakout, but If I started rubbing BP on my face, I'm sure I would still have this normal weekly breakout-it has happened every time I ever used BP, or any other med. People would tell me that this is an initial breakout, even though it would have happened if I never used the BP in the first place.

What signifies an INITIAL breakout from a BREAKOUT? Because after every treatment I've ever used, I've had a breakout right away, but it goes away and comes back and goes away and comes back just the same as always.

Any input?

the way i knew it was an initial breakout was because there were a few spots on my face that had just been sitting there awhile, and nothing too serious, and they grew into full pimples, and became more serious after a few weeks. also, i started to get tiny little bumps in places i had never gotten acne before.

BP doesn't cause initial breakouts. IBs happen with accutane and retinoids as the skin purges, but BP doesn't purge the skin the way those treatments do, it just kills bacteria--they don't "surface" any faster. Continued acne while using BP represents acne bacteria not being completely killed, which should be a signal to you to use more BP as soon as your skin can handle it.

that is from the "what to expect" section of acne.org

a lot of people do breakout, when they start a regimen if u notice.

That is what has me confused. People say "it's the BP...it's my initial breakout" but in reality, they would probably have the exact same breakout without BP...they have acne, their skin breaks out.

When using BP on and off for the past 5 years i have ALWAYS had this "purging" period no matter how much or how little BP i use when my skin just seems to be one giant white head with more acne than ever, then after that it seems to die down over a week or two period and it never gets that bad again.

I always assumed it was something like the BP bringing everything all at once to the surface articially fast?

i think what it means in the what to expect page is that, do not expect BP to work instantly - at the start you may still breakout like you normally do but the important thing is to carry on with treatment.

yep ^.

And also remember that not everyone does get a breakout. Some people start clearing right away, and some continue to breakout during the first few months.

I think it depends on the severity and persistence of the persons acne, and also what treatments they may have discontinued in order to begin the Regimen. And also as Dan has mentioned before, some people begin the Regimen just as their skin is really getting bad. So blaming the bp really isn't the case for those people, as their skin was headed that way when they decided to begin treatment.

But the important thing is to stick with the Regimen. It takes time to break the cycle and get it under control.