Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mrs Jenkins

whole wheat can cause acne and

now I know why.

"--Wheat bran. Eating wheat bran can reduce cancer-promoting estrogen, reports David P. Rose at the American Health Foundation. In his landmark study, estrogen levels sank 17 percent in two months in women eating three to four high-fiber wheat bran muffins a day (bringing daily fiber intake to 30 grams total). Note: Oat and corn bran muffins did not work. Wheat bran ties up estrogen in the intestinal tract, causing much to be excreted. Rose expects the same benefits from 1/2 cup cereal such as All-Bran or 6 tablespoons of raw, unprocessed wheat bran daily. Animals that are fed a low-fat, high-fiber diet have half as many expected breast tumors. "

Women need a certain amount of estrogen to offset male hormones. With a less than optimal amount, acne can result. Only women with signs of estrogen excess need high amounts of insoluble fiber. Thin women with acne probably don't have excess estrogen and might have low levels.

now I know why.

"--Wheat bran. Eating wheat bran can reduce cancer-promoting estrogen, reports David P. Rose at the American Health Foundation. In his landmark study, estrogen levels sank 17 percent in two months in women eating three to four high-fiber wheat bran muffins a day (bringing daily fiber intake to 30 grams total). Note: Oat and corn bran muffins did not work. Wheat bran ties up estrogen in the intestinal tract, causing much to be excreted. Rose expects the same benefits from 1/2 cup cereal such as All-Bran or 6 tablespoons of raw, unprocessed wheat bran daily. Animals that are fed a low-fat, high-fiber diet have half as many expected breast tumors. "

Women need a certain amount of estrogen to offset male hormones. With a less than optimal amount, acne can result. Only women with signs of estrogen excess need high amounts of insoluble fiber. Thin women with acne probably don't have excess estrogen and might have low levels.

First, I think there are other more prevalent reasons why wheat is an issue for some people with acne, such as gluten sensitivity.

Also, I think acne can be a symptom of excess estrogen too. If anything, I show signs of excess estrogen -and I'm a thin woman with acne.

Just my observations.

Also, I think acne can be a symptom of excess estrogen too. If anything, I show signs of excess estrogen -and I'm a thin woman with acne.

Yeah, I was going to mention this. Flax seed oil (high in phytoestrogens) breaks me out like craaaazy.

Yeah, I was going to mention this. Flax seed oil (high in phytoestrogens) breaks me out like craaaazy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that phytoestrogens bind to estrogen receptor sites in the body, but are less powerful than estrogen so the net result is that you get less estrogen exposure.

yeah, i definitely have symptoms of estrogen dominance too and i take flaxseed oil to help combat this. i've read that flaxseed oil can help balance out your hormones - by increasing progesterone... below is a quote that i'm pasting from the world's healthiest foods site on the flaxseed info page:

"Typically, during the 10 years preceding the cessation of periods at midlife, estrogen levels fluctuate while progesterone levels steadily decline. Flaxseed, by promoting normal ovulation and lengthening the second half of the menstrual cycle, in which progesterone is the dominant hormone, helps restore hormonal balance".

Some of the sites for estrogen dominance look a little sketchy to me. Under 'symptoms', they list just about every problem known to mankind leading you to think everybody must be estrogen dominant. However, it is true that many women have higher than healthy levels of estrogen especially with environmental chemicals that mimic estrogen in the body. This will increase your chance of breast cancer which is nothing to play around with.

The reason why I think that my levels of estrogen were low is because when I went on a higher fat inluding animal fat, with less carbs my skin cleared up. I also noticed that whole wheat was one of the worst offenders of my acne. White bread in moderation doesn't affect my skin. Diets high in animal fats with less insoluble fiber are supposed to raise estrogen levels. Also during the end of pregnancy when estrogen is very high, my skin was the best it has ever been without any diet modification. Also birth control with higher amounts of estrogen improve my skin dramatically. I believe I may have naturally high amounts of progesterone. I already have long menstrual cycles and birth control with higher progestin makes my skin break out and gives me morning sickness. I also had signs of very high progesterone during the beginning of my pregnancies. In addition, the women on my mother's side (the ones with acne) have disorders relating to low estrogen like fibromyalgia, frozen shoulder, osteoporosis, etc. The women on my father's side whom I don't take after seem to suffer from problems of estrogen excess. They are heavy with buttery clear skin and endometriosis. They should be eating all the whole wheat and flax seeds, but they don't. Ironically, the women on my mother's side do eat high amounts of fiber in the form of beans, whole wheat and vegetables.

Hmm...well I have signs of excess estrogen, but I originally got acne while I was a vegan - eating a diet of mostly whole grains, beans, and vegetables.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that phytoestrogens bind to estrogen receptor sites in the body, but are less powerful than estrogen so the net result is that you get less estrogen exposure.

Oh, I did not know that. Hmm... interesting.....

EDIT:

I found this:

As weaker versions of estrogen, phytoestrogens seem to play a dual role. When there is too much estrogen, the phytoestrogens actually block estrogen's harmful effects. When there is not enough estrogen, phytoestrogens make up for the difference.

http://www.coolnurse.com/breast_cancerdiet.htm

Now I'm confused. Flax seed oil definitely breaks me out. I just don't know why that would be since apparently phytoestrogens balance your hormones either way.

Now I'm confused. Flax seed oil definitely breaks me out. I just don't know why that would be since apparently phytoestrogens balance your hormones either way.

I don't mean to be too skeptical, but this sounds sketchy. Phytoestrogens are somehow supposed to know the ideal level of hormones for your body and will raise or lower them depending on what's needed. This sounds like the sales pitch for some company's product.

I don't mean to be too skeptical, but this sounds sketchy. Phytoestrogens are somehow supposed to know the ideal level of hormones for your body and will raise or lower them depending on what's needed. This sounds like the sales pitch for some company's product.

Oh, could be. I didn't put much effort into finding out if it was accurate.

as i understand it, phytoestrogens balance estrogen levels by decreasingestrogen levels in perimenopausal women and increasingestrogen levels in postmenopausal women....

so in perimenopausal women such as myself (women who still have active menstruation cycles) studies have shown than phytoestrogens encourage normal ovulation and lengthen the second half of the cycle, which is when progesterone is at it's highest levels. sometimes women with estrogen dominance will often NOT ovulate and this throws off the progesterone levels in the second half (by making the body produce less progesterone) and as a result, the body will continue to have an excess of estrogen.

i didn't decide i was estrogen dominant based on a website. i was diagnosed as such from my doctor after having a horrendous time trying to find a birth control pill that wouldn't send me off into orbit. she knows i strongly lean towards holistic remedies and suggested i increase soy and flaxseed oil to help ease some of my symptoms.. and explained how it works. i stay away from soy, but have been supplementing with organic flaxseed oil daily for the past six months and many of my worst pms symptoms have been eliminated.