Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lovely_hunni

So, i tried an AHA lotion and...

Last night i used neutrogena healthy skin lotion with AHA for the first time, and my face stung a bit after application, but it soon faded.

But, some spots on my face stung for longer, (beside my nose and my jawline.)

Anyways, i looked in the mirror before i went to bed and my whole face was pink, but i knew it would go down in the morning.

This morning i woke up, and saw that my whole face was a little pink, and the places that stung were red!

So, i had to go to school like that.

My friend asked me if i got a sunburn because, it looked like i had.

I told her that it was this acne stuff i was using, and she was like "Your face is clear! You don't even need acne stuff."

So, yah. Thats my story.

So my point is that my face is very dry and peely, but if i apply AHA, it goes red.

Is this normal? and will my skin get used to it? Should i apply iy again? ANY advice?

I also want to say that i am soo pleased with the regimen. I have only 2 very small pimples right now. I shouldn't get my hopes up, because i might all of the sudden get a breakout.

Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion is a pretty strong product, it is something like 7 or 8% AHA. Your skin may just be too sensitive for it.

But if you want to find out, just use only a small amount (one pump), like every other night. Use something mild for daytime use. See how your skin handles that.

Thanks, but what am i supposed to do about the flaking?

Regular moisturizer helps a bit, but not completly.

And, i tried rubbing dead skin off when i wash my face, but it just gets irritated.

Can i use a very mild scrub? (St ives apricot scub for sensitive skin)

Also, since im just about clear, can i use the regimen at night and do everything else, except apply BP in the morning? Would that help the flaking?

well, over-exfoliating can actually cause MORE flaking, so you don't want to overdo it with the AHA. And certainly not a scrub.

You might do fine with the Neutrogena Healthy Skin once your skin gets used to it, but for now just use it every other night and see how that goes.

How long have you been on the Regimen??

okay, you are still new to the Regimen. You should be using the Regimen twice a day, but in reduced amount. Ideally we recommend a person start slowly and gradually work up to the full amount over about 4 weeks time.

What is your cleanser and usual moisturizer?

Well, just basically let me know what products you have been using these two weeks, and exactly how you are using them.

Drying is very typical in the beginning stages of the Regimen as your skin gets accustomed to the bp treatment. But I would not add in something as strong as Neutrogena Healthy Skin this early on. Maybe in a few more weeks perhaps.

Ok, this is my regimen.:

Morning:

Rinse with warm water, wash with cetaphil gentle cleanser, and rub of dead skin while washing with hands. Rinser with cold water.

Wait 5 mins

Apply a fingers worth of BP all over. (neutrogena on-the-spot)

Wait 15 mins

Apply olay complete with spf.

Night:

Wash with clean and clear makeup remover (very gentle, i assure you)

Apply Bp again (same as morning)

Apply jergans natural glow face moistureizer (well, last night it was neutrogena)

Is my regimen ok?

I will lay of the NHS for now.

Thanks so much for your advice.

I guess ill just have to wait my dryness out.

It will improve over time, as my skin gets use to the bp, right?

ok, your problem may be your moisturizers.

I've never tried any Olay products, but Dan has and he said that nothing by Olay ever moisturized enough to use with the Regimen.

and the Jergens product probably isn't aimed at being very moisturizing since it is a self-tanner moisturizer, isn't it?

You may need to try something like Neutrogena oil-free, or Cetaphil lotion. Then in a few weeks maybe try introducing the NHS lotion if you are still experiencing flaking.

Also, some people report that Cetaphil leaves a residue, which might be part of the problem. Do you feel it cleans well?

The olay mositurizer is actually very lightweight, and probobly isn't moisturizing enought for the regimen. So I'll probobly swich moisturizers.

I'd like to keep the jergans in my regimen, since i like the colour it gives me, and it is a pretty good moisturizer.

I feel that the cetaphil is a good cleanser, so ill keep that in my regimen.

Thanks for the advice brandy! :clap:

okay, you are still new to the Regimen. You should be using the Regimen twice a day, but in reduced amount. Ideally we recommend a person start slowly and gradually work up to the full amount over about 4 weeks time.

What is your cleanser and usual moisturizer?

Well, just basically let me know what products you have been using these two weeks, and exactly how you are using them.

Drying is very typical in the beginning stages of the Regimen as your skin gets accustomed to the bp treatment. But I would not add in something as strong as Neutrogena Healthy Skin this early on. Maybe in a few more weeks perhaps.

Woops, i already added it in within the first week on the regimen :shock:.