Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest frogprince

It works... but I don't know why.

Guest frogprince

I have been a long acne veteran.

I hardly post anymore because I am pretty much clear and I don't worry about it anymore.

With hardwork in research and experimentation, after four years, I went from having 60 cysts on my face

to almost none.

If you are curious to know how much I've been through.

go to here:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...topic=87851&hl=

However, I would always have to maintain such a strict regimen with topical and oral medications, as well as a diet. It got stressful and irritating sometimes when I wanted to indulge but couldn't knowing that it would break me out.

Recently, things changed.

A few weeks ago, I went to Vitamin Shoppe and I bought Broccoli Pills . I bought it with the intention of using it as a substitute for vegetables when I forgot to prepare my vegetables. Being a working student and all, preparing food isn't always convenient, so therefore, I wanted to take the pills so at least I would be getting the nutrients.

Anywayz, that same week was one of my most stressful weeks with exams and papers, it was also one of the weeks were I indulged HEAVILY. I eat really unhealthy, oily food almost entirely that week. Pizza, chinese food. candy, chocolates, incream. everything. Having been a veteran, I knew my face would break out.

I got really lazy that I didn't take my supplements (Vitamin C, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Flax seed oil) in my cabinet. I stopped going to the gym. With heavy indulging and no supplements, I knew my face was committing suicide.

Despite my chronic laziness and indulging, I still managed to take my damn Broccoli Pills simply because they were on my dining table already.

Amazingly. I've had no breakouts. Nothing. Ever since I started taking Broccoli Pills I've had no break outs.

This week, I tried out my experiment again. Same results. No breakouts.

Does anybody have any opinions on this?

I was thinking that broccoli would be high in Vitamin A, but the nutrition facts don't say that there is Vitamin A. Instead. it is just 500mg of broccoli. I know that it is the Broccoli pills because this is the ONLY supplement I am taking.

here is the product I am taking:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/brow....jsp?id=VS-1514

Any opinions thoughts? i

Now I'm very curious to look up what vitamins and minerals are in broccoli. But damn!!

This warrants some looking into -- could be one of those serendipitous finds....

I found this:

"Broccoli is a dark green vegetable in the cruciferous family. It is rich in fiber, provitamin A carotenoids, and vitamins C and K. Cruciferous vegetables contain phytochemicals which help create immune and antioxidant support in the body by inducing extra protection of the enzymes involved in detoxifying carcinogens and flushing them out of the body. These important enzymes include 'quinone reductase' and 'glutathione S-transferase', with Sulforaphane as a major and potent enzyme induced. Broccoli is an important source of Vitamin K, which helps prevent stomach and colon cancer. Broccoli has been grown for more than two thousand years. During the 16th century, Broccoli was grown in Italy and France. It began to be commercially grown in the United States in the 1920s. The word "Broccoli" derives from the Italian 'Brocco' meaning arm branch. Broccoli is related to cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Broccoli is said to contain as much calcium, ounce for ounce, as milk. By supplementing regularly with Broccoli you can reduce or prevent ailments like cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease."

Yep. Broccoli has Vitamin C and beta carotene, which are both antioxidants involved in Phase I Liver Detoxification, as well as the sulfur chemicals that are beneficial in Phase II Liver Detox. Other then that it's got a whole host of other beneficial vitamins and minerals.

I eat broccoli raw and dip it in hummus, it's good stuff.

From what I read on another post by Leon, it has sulfur and calcium which according to him is great at fighting acne. It has the highest amout outside of raw onions, but can't handle the raw onion taste. So you may be onto something. Good luck and raw broccoli is better than steamed according to the post, but steamed is good too.

Broccoli pills sound like they would be full of chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is recommended by some naturopaths for acne due to its liver cleansing power. I bought some good green powder mixes and was drinking it with fresh carrot juice for a time, but it didn't help my acne.

Guest frogprince

So you've been basically eating whatever you want, while taking the broccoli pills and you haven't broken out?

yes. the thing is... i've been in this game a long time. If you look at my history at the link i posted. I have pretty much everything under control. But This broccoli thing is mystifying me. I am NOT taking any other supplement right now, yet I do not understand why broccoli pills are helping me. I feel it's too good to be true.

I think there's a difference from eating it cooked and getting from pills. That's my suspicion.

My nonetheless, I'm happy I have a new weapon to add to my anti-acne arsenal. :cool:

yes. the thing is... i've been in this game a long time. If you look at my history at the link i posted. I have pretty much everything under control. But This broccoli thing is mystifying me. I am NOT taking any other supplement right now, yet I do not understand why broccoli pills are helping me. I feel it's too good to be true.

I think there's a difference from eating it cooked and getting from pills. That's my suspicion.

My nonetheless, I'm happy I have a new weapon to add to my anti-acne arsenal. :cool:

So, I think in pill form you are just getting more concentrated amounts of all the vitamins and minerals you get eating the real thing. But if you like broccoli, there is no substitute for the real thing. Unless of course, you'd have to eat 5 lbs. of it a day, in which case it's a no-brainer, LOL.

Broccoli contains a compound called indole-3-carbinol (similar to DIM), which has an impact on the body's estrogen metabolism. It may exert an anti-acne effect because of this property, and I can imagine that a concentrated extract as found in the pills would have more of an impact than eating a typical serving of the vegetable. Still a good idea to eat the the broccoli, though...

I wonder what would happen if you started taking the other pills again in addition to the broccoli.

I have always taken a lot of vitamins, many that would supposedly be good for my skin. About a month ago I ran out of a bunch of them (evening primrose oil, flax seed, milk thistle) and my skin doesn't seem to have an opinion either way. I had acne with and without them.

Maybe your body is reacting to NOT having the vitamins you were so used to before?

I will definitely buy some broccoli pills today.....i'll try anything!

What does the label on the back of the bottle say? Does it have a list of vitamins/nutrients/ect. listed? Ya know, like a bottle of vitamins does?

I just went to Vitamin Shoppe's site online and did a search but there is no match for brocolli, brocolli pill or brocolli supplement.

What is the name of the product? (Name brand)

Product Information:

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1

Servings Per Container 50 Capsules

Amount Per

Serving % Daily

Value

Broccoli Cruciferous Extract Blend 500 Mg N/A*

* Daily value not established

Directions:

As a dietary supplement for adults, one (1) to two (2) vegicaps daily, preferably, at mealtime, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.

Other Ingredients:

Vegetable cellulose, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable magnesium stearate, silica, water.

Does Not Contain:

Sugar, salt, starch, corn, yeast, soy, wheat, dairy products, preservatives, artificial flavors or colors.

Warnings:

To assure freshness and potency, store in a cool, dry place, away from heat, light and moisture. Keep out of reach of children.

I finally found one....this is the information that was on there. As you can see, daily values of vitamins and minerals present in a single dose is not established. From some other site I quoted, it would seem that, among other things, there is a lot of vitamin A, carotenoids, vitamins C and vitamins K.

Check out this link:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c20c0.html

Nutritional Summary for Broccoli, raw

Change the serving size in the dropdown above to automatically update the Nutrition Facts label and Nutrient Tables. The remaining elements of this analysis are independent of serving size.

The Good:

This food is very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Selenium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese.

The Bad:

A large portion of the calories in this food come from sugars.

89%

Moisture Content

71%

Carbs

9%

Fats

20%

Protein

Caloric Ratio Pyramidâ„¢

This symbol shows how the Calories in this food are distributed between the different macronutrients, and can help you identify foods that best match certain diet plans, such as low-fat, low-carb, high-protein, or balanced-ratio.

Learn more about:

ND's Caloric Ratio Pyramid

Completeness Score

Nutrient Balance Indicatorâ„¢

This symbol illustrates the density of essential nutrients in this food, and can help you create meals that are healthier and more nutritionally balanced.

Learn more about:

ND's Nutrient Balance Indicator

Fullness Factor

ND Rating

Nutritional Target Mapâ„¢

(Patent Pending)

This symbol maps this food in relation to common nutritional goals. Foods closer to the upper right corner are Better Choices for healthy weight loss, while foods closer to the lower right corner are Better Choices for healthy weight gain.

Learn more about:

ND's Nutritional Target Map

ND's Fullness Factor

ND's Rating

ND's Better Choices Diet

Better Choices Substitutions for Broccoli, raw

To explore a list of foods that ND rates higher than this one, select a food category and nutritional goal from the dropdowns and click the Show me! button. Substituting a food from that list for this one may improve the quality of your diet or make it easier for you to control the number of Calories that you consume. To learn more about this, see ND's Better Choices Diet. For additional ways to explore ND's database, see ND's Explorer tool.

Vegetables and Vegetable ProductsAll ready-to-eat foods and beverages Better Choices for weight lossBetter Choices for optimum healthBetter Choices for weight gain Show me!

Protein Quality for Broccoli, raw

This symbol illustrates the proportion of essential amino acids in this food, and can help you identify complete proteins. Learn more about Protein Quality.

Amino Acid Score

Protein Complements: Adding other foods with complementary amino acid profiles to this food may yield a more complete protein source, and improve the quality of some types of restrictive diets.

Foods with the highest ratios of Leucine to Tryptophan

Nutrients per Serving for Broccoli, raw

Food Energy

Amounts Per Selected Serving %DV

Calories

Calories from Alcohol

Calories from Carbohydrate

Calories from Fat

Calories from Protein

Carbohydrates

Total Carbohydrate g

Dietary Fiber g

Starch g

Sugars g

Sucrose mg

Glucose mg

Fructose mg

Lactose mg

Maltose mg

Galactose mg

Fats & Fatty Acids

Total Fat g

Saturated Fat g

4:0 mg

6:0 mg

8:0 mg

10:0 mg

12:0 mg

13:0

14:0 mg

15:0 mg

16:0 mg

17:0 mg

18:0 mg

19:0

20:0 mg

22:0 mg

24:0

Monounsaturated Fat g

14:1 mg

15:1 mg

16:1 undifferentiated mg

16:1 c

16:1 t

17:1 mg

18:1 undifferentiated mg

18:1 c

18:1 t

20:1 mg

22:1 undifferentiated mg

22:1 c

22:1 t

24:1 c

Polyunsaturated Fat g

16:2 undifferentiated

18:2 undifferentiated mg

18:2 n-6 c,c

18:2 c,t

18:2 t,c

18:2 t,t

18:2 i

18:2 t not further defined

18:3 mg

18:3 n-3 c,c,c

18:3 n-6 c,c,c mg

18:4 undifferentiated mg

20:2 n-6 c,c mg

20:3 undifferentiated mg

20:3 n-3

20:3 n-6

20:4 undifferentiated mg

20:4 n-3

20:4 n-6

20:5 n-3 mg

22:2

22:5 n-3 mg

22:6 n-3 mg

Total trans fats

Total trans-monoenoic fats

Total trans-polyenoic fats

Learn more about these fatty acids

and their equivalent names

Protein & Amino Acids

Protein g

Tryptophan mg

Threonine mg

Isoleucine mg

Leucine mg

Lysine mg

Methionine mg

Cystine mg

Phenylalanine mg

Tyrosine mg

Valine mg

Arginine mg

Histidine mg

Alanine mg

Aspartic acid mg

Glutamic acid mg

Glycine mg

Proline mg

Serine mg

Hydroxyproline

Vitamins

Vitamin A IU

Retinol mcg

Retinol Activity Equivalent mcg

Alpha Carotene mcg

Beta Carotene mcg

Beta Cryptoxanthin mcg

Lycopene mcg

Lutein+Zeaxanthin mcg

Vitamin C mg

Vitamin D

Vitamin E mg

Beta Tocopherol mg

Gamma Tocopherol mg

Delta Tocopherol mg

Thiamin mg

Riboflavin mg

Niacin mg

Vitamin B6 mg

Folate mcg

Food Folate mcg

Folic Acid mcg

Dietary Folate Equivalents mcg

Vitamin B12 mcg

Pantothenic Acid mg

Vitamin K mcg

Minerals

Calcium mg

Iron mg

Magnesium mg

Phosphorus mg

Potassium mg

Sodium mg

Zinc mg

Copper mg

Manganese mg

Selenium mcg

Sterols

Cholesterol mg

Phytosterols

Campesterol

Stigmasterol

Beta-sitosterol

Other

Alcohol g

Water g

Ash g

Caffeine mg

Theobromine mg

Footnotes for Broccoli, raw

Data for this listing was provided by USDA SR18. Each "~" indicates a missing or incomplete value.

Percent Daily Values (%DV) are for adults or children aged 4 or older, and are based on a 2000 Calorie reference diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower based on your individual needs.

ND's Opinion, Completeness Scoreâ„¢, Fullness Factorâ„¢, Rating, and Better Choices Substitutionsâ„¢ are editorial opinions of NutritionData.com, given without warranty, and are not intended to replace the advice of a nutritionist or healthcare professional. ND's opinions and ratings are based on weighted averages of the nutrient densities of those nutrients for which the FDA has established Daily Values, and do not consider other nutrients which may be important to your health, nor take into account your individual needs. Consequently, ND's higher-rated foods may not necessarily be better than lower-rated ones. All foods, regardless of their rating, have the potential to play an important role in your diet.

The Amino Acid Score has not been corrected for digestibility, which could reduce its value.

To learn more about this analysis, please see ND's Analysis Help page.

Guest frogprince

I only take 1 capsule a day.

At first, a started on two, but now I am back on one.

I know that the vitamin shoppe brand doesn't list vitamin a, but i do know

from research that taking too much vitamin a is not good for you.

i'm still curious to know how much vitamin a is in the brand.

Well, I took one today so far and I ate quite a lot.

2 hamburgers, 2 pieces of chicken, 2 bagels, ice cream, salad, sandwich, cake, omelet, cereal, 2 waffles. First time eating junk food in three months.

Congrats on your discovery! I'm glad the broccoli pills are working well for you. As I was sitting here reading some of the posts, I thought about the alfalfa tablets I take everyday--then looked in the mirror and noticed that I have a lot less breakouts. If this is due to the chlorophyll in alfalfa, I feel like singing!

2 bagels, ice cream, 2 waffles

Ouch, those are things I have to avoid!

Actually, when I think about it, those things are fine as long as they are in moderation. I find that bagels are REALLY hard to digest ( digestion soo important for clear skin) I'd make sure you eat a lot of fiber (apples, vegies) to make sure your system doesnt 'jam up'.

That being said, I eat bagels regularly but I make sure to eat things to 'push it down'. The worse 'clogging' food I EVER had is banana cake... oh my that thing is a BRICK.

Anyways, I dont know why i'm talking about this, I really wanted to talk about the broccoli pills.... I was going to ask if betacarotene is listed on the bottle, because your body converts that into vitamin A, and you can never overdose on betacarotene (apparently).

Well, today is the real test.

I ate something called honey wheat crackers. Wheat has always owned my skin. But with those pills, my skin has been OK. So I ate them anyways. I've had 3 pimples, but I feel like I should have more after all the stuff I've eaten.

Well, today is the real test.

I ate something called honey wheat crackers. Wheat has always owned my skin. But with those pills, my skin has been OK. So I ate them anyways. I've had 3 pimples, but I feel like I should have more after all the stuff I've eaten.

Wow, this is getting pretty interesting. Maybe Broccoli is the new Acne Fighting discovery! I've been on accutane 3 times, I'm looking for any alternative approach at this point! Keep us updated on how it goes.