Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyMacbeth998

Should I be upset about this?

Ok, so last week, my husband and I went out to dinner with my cousin and his wife, Stacy. Out of the blue, Stacy says to me "Your skin looks SO much better. What have you been doing?" So I told her very briefly that I have been getting laser treatments, and using prescription creams. She then tells me that I should use glycolic acid peels and all the works. Then she says to me "Really, you look great. Your skin never looked awful, but I always noticed your breakouts".

I guess she was trying to be nice, but I don't think people should bring that up out of the blue, especially in front of other people. I was embarrased. Do you think I over-reacted?

No, you're not overreacting. It's normal for something like that to bother you. I used to get a huge lump in my throat every time someone said something like "you're badly broken out", or "your skin looks so good now, it looked bad a few months ago".

Overreaction would be cursing her out or something, or becoming confrontational. Not feeling embarrassed and thinking that people shouldn't bring it up in front of everyone.

i dont think just getting "embarassed" is overreacting...overreacting would be snapping back at her and embarassing her too. it still baffles me why people say things like that to someone who clearly was suffering from something...simply commenting about how nice your skins was looking would have been enough. i would never point how it looked in the past...but not everyone has the radar that tell them when to stop...she was only trying to be nice. take it as a compliment, you must be looking pretty great right now :)

Ok, so last week, my husband and I went out to dinner with my cousin and his wife, Stacy. Out of the blue, Stacy says to me "Your skin looks SO much better. What have you been doing?" So I told her very briefly that I have been getting laser treatments, and using prescription creams. She then tells me that I should use glycolic acid peels and all the works. Then she says to me "Really, you look great. Your skin never looked awful, but I always noticed your breakouts".

I guess she was trying to be nice, but I don't think people should bring that up out of the blue, especially in front of other people. I was embarrased. Do you think I over-reacted?

You should of stomped the mo-fo out lol. :wall:

Yeah, I know she was trying to be nice, and make me feel better. I don't think she should have mentioned how my skin looked a year ago. I was just so embarrased! I think when it comes to anything about a person's appearance, nothing should be said.

So now we can't make a positive comment about a persons appearance without offending them?

I think acne sufferers must be the only people who wouldn't like to be complimented about how their appearance has improved.

Most people who have suffered with a condition which has a negative effect on their appearance (e.g Being overweight, having greasy hair, bad fingernails etc.) would be thrilled to have a compliment thrown their way about it, especially if they are actively trying to improve that aspect of their appearance.

Personally when someone compliments me on my skin, I appreciate it, because I know what I had to go through to get to this point.

I guess this really depends on how far behind you your acne is. If you've only been clear a few weeks I can see how it would bother you. But after some months, or maybe years you should really accept compliments for what they are.

Women . . .

They'll slaughter you if you don't notice that they've done something with their hair, but when you notice that they've done something with their skin, they flip.

:think: My sister in law is over weight and I know she has been going to the gym. On the weekend I comment on how good she was looking lately to try and encourage her.

I wonder if I pissed her off with that?

I also love when someone compliments my skin. It convinces me that I'm not imagining it.

I don't get you, LadyMacbeth998.

Women . . .

They'll slaughter you if you don't notice that they've done something with their hair, but when you notice that they've done something with their skin, they flip.

:lol: Ya'll better notice when I get my hair cut :mad:;)

I guess I would not have felt embarrassed if someone just said to me, "Your skin looks great" and kept it

at that...then moved on to another subject.

No need to comment on past break-outs, zits and so forth....making too many comments about certain things....not a good idea. :doh: