AHA is not a requir...

Notifications
Clear all

AHA is not a required element

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/25/2006 9:55 am

I got a PM from someone who was confused about whether AHA was a required element of the regimen. It is not. I love Eucerin Skin Renewal, which contains lactic acid--a very mild AHA, but AHA is not at all required. In fact, glycolic acid, which is the usual form of AHA, is usually too much for people when they're first starting out on the regimen.

I have been trying lots of samples of moisturizers from various manufacturers in an attempt to make a replacement moisturizer myself, and have found that AHA is not required for adequate moisturization. However, the various manufacturers who have been scurrying to make us a moisturizer have not hit on something that's as good as Eucerin yet. Some of the samples I've tried are too stinky, some are too thick, and some leave my face too tight. Therefore, to prevent severe flakiness in some people, I recommend the addition of AHA as discussed at http://www.acne.org/aha.html for the time being.

I'm going to try KissMyFace moisturizer as soon as I can get some and see what that's like. Since Eucerin was discontinued from Drugstore.com and I still haven't gotten my manufacturers to make the perfect replacement, we're gonna have to try some new ones 'til we find a good solution. In the meantime, if your skin gets super dry with whatever other moisturizer you're using, the addition of AHA might help, but is in no way required.

MemberMember
(@superfly)

Posted : 04/25/2006 10:02 am

Good thing the winter months are over and dryness will be much less of a problem for the next few months. Hopefully it'll give you the time you need. Good luck, Dan.

MemberMember
(@karend)

Posted : 04/25/2006 2:56 pm

I got a PM from someone who was confused about whether AHA was a required element of the regimen. It is not. I love Eucerin Skin Renewal, which contains lactic acid--a very mild AHA, but AHA is not at all required. In fact, glycolic acid, which is the usual form of AHA, is usually too much for people when they're first starting out on the regimen.

I have been trying lots of samples of moisturizers from various manufacturers in an attempt to make a replacement moisturizer myself, and have found that AHA is not required for adequate moisturization. However, the various manufacturers who have been scurrying to make us a moisturizer have not hit on something that's as good as Eucerin yet. Some of the samples I've tried are too stinky, some are too thick, and some leave my face too tight. Therefore, to prevent severe flakiness in some people, I recommend the addition of AHA as discussed at http://www.acne.org/aha.html for the time being.

I'm going to try KissMyFace moisturizer as soon as I can get some and see what that's like. Since Eucerin was discontinued from Drugstore.com and I still haven't gotten my manufacturers to make the perfect replacement, we're gonna have to try some new ones 'til we find a good solution. In the meantime, if your skin gets super dry with whatever other moisturizer you're using, the addition of AHA might help, but is in no way required.

What about Eucerin Extra Protective Moisture Lotion, SPF 30? Is that their replacement for the d/c one? It also has AHA.

MemberMember
(@verdizzy)

Posted : 04/25/2006 3:35 pm

Or what about this?

http://www.acnedoctor.com/moisture_lotion_beta_lipo.html

It's SPF15, non-comedogenic, and also has AHA (lactic acid).

I've never tried it but the ingredients look similar.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/25/2006 4:48 pm

that product ^ is loaded with oils! I'd not use it at all.

MemberMember
(@skeptik)

Posted : 04/26/2006 2:00 am

Don't use Kiss My Face whatever you do!! It has a ton of oil in it, it is comedogenic (and doesn't even claim not to be). The second ingredient is Isopropyl Palmitate which is extremely comedogenic (along with many of the other ingredients in it). I use it on my hands, but it won't touch my face.

Seems like a lot of people like Neutrogena Healthy Skin w/ AHA. Why do you not recommend that one?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/26/2006 9:27 am

Kiss My Face Alpha and Aloe is oil-free

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp...BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

^ This product contains 5% AHA according to the product description.

Neutrogena Healthy Skin face lotion contains either 7 or 8% (I can't remember specifically) and it is a fairly strong product. Even when I talk to people about trying it out to help with hyperpigmentation, I recommend using only a very small amount and only once a day or every other day. It is typically too strong for twice daily usage.

MemberMember
(@superfly)

Posted : 04/26/2006 9:32 am

That moisturizer actually looks, good, really good. How come companies just state AHA instead of telling us which AHA it is? I know 12% lactic acid is much more gentle on my skin than 8% glycolic acid, so it's quite important to know which it is.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/26/2006 10:11 am

I couldn't find the KissMyFace but I did find the Neutrogena Healthy Face, and the Eucerin Extra Protective. So, I tried the Healthy Face last night and it's a tiny bottle for like $13 and has way too much scent in it. But I'll use it a few times and see if it moisturizes well enough. I'll also try the Extra Protective Eucerin and see how that goes. I'm also supposed to get the latest sample of a moisturizer from a new manufactuer this morning via FedEx. So fingers crossed on that. I'll keep you guys posted.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/26/2006 10:30 am

yea, I agree, the scent of the Neutrogena Healthy Skin is what kept me from using it for very long, I just could not stand the fragrance, and I could smell it all day long! lol.

I have also tried the Eucerin Extra Protective lotion and found it was white and did not rub in well at all, it just stayed white on my skin! But, that was also when I was still using Neutrogena On-the-Spot, so it might work better with the CSR gel.

And even though Eucerin Extra Protective lotion says "oil-free" on the lable, it has castor oil in the ingredients list!

MemberMember
(@skeptik)

Posted : 04/26/2006 10:58 am

Kiss My Face Alpha and Aloe IS COMEDOGENIC.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/26/2006 6:55 pm

Well, I tried the latest sample from another manufacturer today, and once again it wasn't quite right. That's sample #16 that I've tried. Incredible. So they're redoing it yet again, as is another manufacturer. In the meantime, let's keep trying different stuff to find something good. I'm going to try the Extra Protective Eucerin tonight and I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@superfly)

Posted : 04/26/2006 11:01 pm

I emailed the customer service person at the Kiss My Face website, asking what AHA they used in that moisturizer and whether or not it was non-comedogenic. Depending on the answer I'll go down to the local health food store because I know they sell it there and I'll try it out. I think I'll be fine for quite a few months anyway with my 3 bottles of Eucerin.

MemberMember
(@canadianchron)

Posted : 04/26/2006 11:18 pm

Good thing the winter months are over and dryness will be much less of a problem for the next few months. Hopefully it'll give you the time you need. Good luck, Dan.

My dryness has gotten worse since winter ended. And I'm clear now and using less bp than I was then.

MemberMember
(@pauluk)

Posted : 04/27/2006 5:19 am

Are eucerin products in short supply??

I saw loads at my local boots in UK

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 04/27/2006 11:24 am

I tried the Eucerin Extra Protective. Wow, it was bad, at least with BP. lol. It stayed on my skin and white. I couldn't get it absorbed. Then I woke up this morning and was really dry. So...that's a serious no go. I'm going to try the Complex15 again today. I liked it the last 2 times I tried it. ho dee hum. Anybody else have suggestions on good moisturizers?

MemberMember
(@janiet53)

Posted : 04/27/2006 11:28 am

Well if your willing to import from the UK Eucerin dry skin relief face cream with 5% urea if great and contain AHA, I don't think theres any plans to discontinue it any time soon either. Its available at www.boots.com I think its avilable in Canada too so maybe it would be cheaper to import from there :)

MemberMember
(@user28456)

Posted : 04/27/2006 11:28 am

i've used 2 bottles of neutrogena healthy skin face lotion spf 15 w/ 8% glycolic acid. 2 pumps, 2 times a day. i love it. it stings for a few minutes, but it's not bad

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/27/2006 11:51 am

I tried the Eucerin Extra Protective. Wow, it was bad, at least with BP. lol. It stayed on my skin and white. I couldn't get it absorbed. Then I woke up this morning and was really dry. So...that's a serious no go. I'm going to try the Complex15 again today. I liked it the last 2 times I tried it. ho dee hum. Anybody else have suggestions on good moisturizers?

The exact same thing happened to me with the Eucerin Extra Protective, lol. It was just WHITE.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/27/2006 11:58 am

deleted

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/27/2006 2:20 pm

Kupo,

is this the one ^, the Dove Deep Moisture?

IPB Image

MemberMember
(@verdizzy)

Posted : 04/27/2006 2:52 pm

I'm surprised that out of all the moisturizers out there, there isn't one that duplicates Eucerin Daily Skin Renewal.

You would think other companies would make the same type of moisturizer to compete but up until now it seems like none of us can find a suitable replacement.

I really like this moisturizer so I too am on the hunt for a replacement when it does eventually run out. I hope we find something :)

MemberMember
(@cleardream)

Posted : 04/27/2006 3:30 pm

ooh, glad you mentioned the complex 15 stuff. i saw yesterday that that one is really popular among Regimen users. (and not too expensive!) i'm going to try it after i try the eucerin skin renewal. but my understanding is that the complex 15 is non-SPF... so if it works, only for use at night, i'm thinking?

I'm surprised that out of all the moisturizers out there, there isn't one that duplicates Eucerin Daily Skin Renewal.

You would think other companies would make the same type of moisturizer to compete but up until now it seems like none of us can find a suitable replacement.

I really like this moisturizer so I too am on the hunt for a replacement when it does eventually run out. I hope we find something :)

i know! you'd think so, wouldn't you? after seeing the rave reviews for eucerin skin renewal, i called the company last week to confirm that it is, in fact, discontinued. when the representative said "yes," i asked her if she knew about acne.org (thinking in my scheming head that if they knew about the potentially thousands[?] of eager consumers, they, too, would be eager to get that product back on the market :D ). strangely, she didn't really seem to care, and promptly tried to get off the phone w/me as soon as possible. go figure.

incidentally, i'm curious if there is general figure/estimate for how many current Regimen followers there are? (or maybe for how many users there are of this website?) cuz... like.... there's power in numbers!

is this the one ^, the Dove Deep Moisture?

IPB Image

hi brandy -- just wondering, does this product contail oil? and if so, has it caused any breakouts for you? (since starting the Regimen, i'm deathly afraid of introducing any oil to my skin... hehe)

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/27/2006 4:27 pm

hi Clear Dream,

that dove lotion does not contain oil.

But I posted that picture because someone else mentioned using it (on the previous page). I personally haven't used it before, I was just wondering if that was the product that the person before me had mentioned.

yea, I had the same thoughts. Especially since here in the US there is a company called "Equate" that makes copy-cats of LOTS of products.

MemberMember
(@superfly)

Posted : 04/27/2006 5:52 pm

For anyone that cares, I received a response from the customer service person at Kiss My Face, in reference to this.

All of our products are non-comedogenic.

Thank you,

Sarah

Kiss My Face