Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
koala

Roactucan and summer

Well I ve mild to moderate acne and I went to the derm 1 month ago, he gave me some antibiotics (Doxiclat + minocicline) and BP at nights(Solucel)

He told me to try this for 6-7 weeks and if the case it doesn't work he will give me Roacutan.

He also told me to do a the blood test for my next visit etc...

My question is: Its May and summer is really near, here in Alicante(SPAIN) there is a lot of sun(maybe 95% of the days) and I wanted to know if I can start Roacutan at summer if I take care of sun.

Anyone ve been to the derm and ve been told they cant take accutane at summer? I mean they ve been told to wait till sptember or so?

Thanks, Albert

You can take Accutane any time of the year, but you will have to wear a very stong sunscreen, where hats, stay in the shade, limit time in direct sun, etc.

The point is Accutane increases photosensitivity meaning you can burn really, really easy. And it's an individual thing and depends on your dosage. Even easy tanners burn while on Accutane so don't assume that, because you never burn, you won't on Accutane. Take the proper precautions.

There are many medications that increase photosensitivity and many antibiotics are included in that list, so wearing sunscreen is the safest thing to do, regardless.

(Ever go into a tanning salon? Near the tan bed, there is a sign telling people all the medications that can cause photosensitivity and that if you are taking them, the tanning bed is not recommended. At least in the US those signs are required in the tanning salons.)

I'm sure if you did a google search of medications causing photosensitivity, you would be surprised how long the list is.

As you follow all the precautions and instructions, I don't see any reason why not.

As I understand it, medical coverage in Europe is different from US -- do you have Social healthcare like England and Canada? I understand in those cases, it's sometimes hard to get in to see a Dermatologist and get approved for Accutane, so if you are able and need it, I'd go for it.

Hello... I took it for years in the summer and now again I am taking it this summer.. so you can do it. The sun and heat is a drawback but the heat can be a benefit because it wont make you as dry as if you were to take it in the winter.. as far as im concerned id take it what ever season as long as it was as soon as possible.. its not worth living life with acne when you can be cleared from accutane.. GOOD LUCK!

I've gotten the impression that thte only reason you stay out of the sun is so you dont get burned - sun won't actually affect the treatment, it'll just give you a brutal sunburn. So I've been spending like 10/15 minutes outside each day, gradually increasing suntime until my skin is resistant to it. I figure by Summer I will be alright.