Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dan52

4 months into accutane and completely clear!

Hey everyone,

I haven't been back to the boards in a while, but I was posting a bit when I started accutane back in december. I'm a 27 y/o male, about a 165 lbs., and am 4 months into my course of 80 mg/day... just picked up my fifth and final month's supply today actually.

Just wanted to report that this drug is truly miraculous. My skin is completely, and I mean completely, clear at this point and looks and feels great. I started noticing an improvement about 2-3 weeks in and had more or less stopped breaking out at around 2 to 2 and half months in. Though I was more or less clear by that point, my complexion wasn't great (a little blotchy, some clogged pores here and there, etc.) so I tried switching some things up. First I ditched the moisturizer (was alternating between Lubriderm and Cetaphil) and started using Jojoba oil. After using this for the past month, I don't think I'll ever use a regular moisturizer again. It leaves my skin so soft and smooth and completely moisturized without leaving that "heavy" moisturizer feeling on my skin. When I touch my face, it really doesn't feel like I put anything on. To top it off, the jojoba oil got rid of the mild eczema on my hands that accutane had been giving me. Around the same time, I also switched from Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser to Purpose Liquid Cleanser, and that helped get rid of the remaining clogged pores. I highly, highly recommend that you guys give those two products a try if you're not happy with the products you're currently using on accutane.

Anyway, I can't believe how much happier and more confident I am now since I started taking accutnae. I'm working out more and am in better shape than I have ever been. I have so much more free time now that it only takes me 10 minutes to shower and get dressed (no more standing in front of the mirror for a half hour applying bp). I'm definitely getting much more looks from the ladies now, and I have a new girlfriend and got a promotion at work. I sound like such an ass, but this really has helped turned my life around and I'm really glad I made the decision to go on accutane.

To be honest, the only thing that's ever depressed me while on accutane is how much the U.S. government is trying to legislate the drug into oblivion. I'm really afraid that the red tape they are creating for providers (iPledge) and patients (monthly blood tests, two forms of birth control and monthly pregnancy tests for females) that it'll discourage doctors from prescribing it or patients for seeking accutane treatment. Honestly, I feel like I wasted a couple of years, in the prime of my life nonetheless, just moping around like a sad sack because of my condition and I only wish now that I had not waited so long to go on accutane.

Good luck everyone.

Dan :D

Wow Dan that sounds awesome how you are doing so well. Thanks for posting such great news! I completely agree with you about the purpose cleanser over the cetaphil. I havent tried the oil though.. where would i get it? I am happy that everything is turning around in your life.. i cant wait to be there in a couple of months! I start in 2 days :dance:

Wow Dan that sounds awesome how you are doing so well. Thanks for posting such great news! I completely agree with you about the purpose cleanser over the cetaphil. I havent tried the oil though.. where would i get it? I am happy that everything is turning around in your life.. i cant wait to be there in a couple of months! I start in 2 days :dance:

Thanks Jen... I'm using the generic brand of Jojoba oil from Vitamin Shoppe. I don't remember how much it was, but it was pretty cheap. They also sell a desert essence brand of Jojoba oil there as well that I've heard good things about too. Anyway, I just put 3 or 4 drops in my palm, rub my hands together and smooth it around my face. A few minutes later, I'll take a tissue to quickly blot any remaining oil/shine off the surface and then it's perfect for 24 hours. Best of luck to you... I remember how exciting it was too start, although re-reading my above post, I think I'm probably more excited now.

Thanks Jen... I'm using the generic brand of Jojoba oil from Vitamin Shoppe. I don't remember how much it was, but it was pretty cheap. They also sell a desert essence brand of Jojoba oil there as well that I've heard good things about too. Anyway, I just put 3 or 4 drops in my palm, rub my hands together and smooth it around my face. A few minutes later, I'll take a tissue to quickly blot any remaining oil/shine off the surface and then it's perfect for 24 hours. Best of luck to you... I remember how exciting it was too start, although re-reading my above post, I think I'm probably more excited now.

So good to hear. Congratulations on your success.

do you know what about purpose clears up the clogged pores better than cetaphil? I'd like to clear up my clogged pores as well. you use 100% jojoba oil? it doesn't break you out?