Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

My personal anti-acne, anti-aging miracle

Not only am I clear right now ... my skin is looking fresher and smoother than I could ever have believed possible. (In addition to chronic acne, I'm a recovering sun-worshiper.)

The improvement really hit me today at the gym, under the harsh fluorescent lights. I was working out in front of the mirrors with a friend of mine ... she's 40, I'm nearly 42. I know I've had WAY more sun exposure and tanning bed abuse than she has, but my skin looks so much younger than hers now ... it didn't use to ...

I've been using Green Cream since December, and added in Retin A sometime in March. So I've only been using these products for a few months, and I'm already seeing really dramatic results. It makes me wonder if acne won't end up having a silver lining after all ... if I hadn't had acne, I probably wouldn't have found out about retinoids yet ... and they are really transforming my skin. :wub:

You know, that is so true for me as well. I find a lot of people thought I was younger than I really am, and part of it is probably due to the fact that I've been on some retinoid since I was 19. Plus, even when I did tan, I never tanned my face.

Anyway, I recently got in touch w/some old schoolmates, and they sent me some pics. HOLY SUN DAMAGE, Batman! We're only in our late 20s, but our faces are already letting everyone know who's been baking themselves and who hasn't. Some have the deep-ish forehead wrinkles already!!!!

Yeah, the retinoid is definitely a silver lining, when you consider how much other crap you have to go through!

It's great to look younger than your friends hu, Queen? All my friends have those forehead wrinkles and smile lines around their eyes. Not me I have a little crease on my forehead but it's almost non-existant now thanks to Retin A and Green Cream. I was a sun goddess too.

Lion Queen,

Since you are the guru on retinoids, maybe you can answer this for me. I have read a lot of posts on here about the initial breakout experienced when using them. Can you clarify when this period usually begins and ends? I'm currently using Vivants Clear Complexion Kit I. In a previous post you mentioned Vivant so you may be familiar with this product. It is a retinoid, but supposed to be less irritating than retin-a. I've just completed my third week and my skin has been breaking out more than normal the past few weeks. Am I almost through with the initial breakout phase? Is it safe to say by week 6 I will see some results? Although my acne is mild, its very persistant so I have been okayed for accutane. It works out that I will get my rx when I have been using Vivant for 6 weeks (I'm in the waiting period for 'tane). If this stuff is actually working, I may hold off on the accutane.

Since you are the guru on retinoids, maybe you can answer this for me. I have read a lot of posts on here about the initial breakout experienced when using them. Can you clarify when this period usually begins and ends? I'm currently using Vivants Clear Complexion Kit I. In a previous post you mentioned Vivant so you may be familiar with this product. It is a retinoid, but supposed to be less irritating than retin-a. I've just completed my third week and my skin has been breaking out more than normal the past few weeks. Am I almost through with the initial breakout phase? Is it safe to say by week 6 I will see some results? Although my acne is mild, its very persistant so I have been okayed for accutane. It works out that I will get my rx when I have been using Vivant for 6 weeks (I'm in the waiting period for 'tane). If this stuff is actually working, I may hold off on the accutane.

Gosh, it's different for everyone, AND it varies with the product. I would say anything from 6-16 weeks is entirely possible, though 8-12 weeks is probably "normal" ... Carys, what do you think?

Roxy, since you are using Vivant, you could get some great information over at the Diana Yvonne SkinCare board (there's a DY link in my signature). The forum host, Deb, has a background in biochemistry and is very helpful and knowledgeable. She is also a HUGE fan of Vivant Exfol-A and Vivant mandelic acid serum and has been using them for awhile, so she would be a great resource for you! I highly recommend that you sign on over there and get some tips from her and the other users ... many of them are also very knowledgeable.

Please post back and let us know how the Vivant works out for you ... are you using Exfol-A or Exfol-A Forte? I keep toying with the idea of using Vivant, but since I can tolerate Retin A 0.1%, I know it makes more sense for me to stick with that.

What is retinoid?

A Vitamin A derivative such as Retin A ... I use the term very loosely to include retinol, retinaldehyde, other Vitamin A derivatives, and pretty much anything that works like a retinoid (such as Differin).

It's great to look younger than your friends hu, Queen? All my friends have those forehead wrinkles and smile lines around their eyes. Not me I have a little crease on my forehead but it's almost non-existant now thanks to Retin A and Green Cream. I was a sun goddess too.

Yup. It's catty of me ... but it's great. :)

And if they ask what I'm using, I DO share ...

Gosh, it's different for everyone, AND it varies with the product. I would say anything from 6-16 weeks is entirely possible, though 8-12 weeks is probably "normal" ... Carys, what do you think?

I'd agree your estimates are pretty accurate, LQ. I found Retin-A Micro to be the one w/the fastest (and worst IB) in my past experience, being over with around the six week mark. Regular Retin-A in its weakest strength took about 12 weeks for me to see a real difference, but the IB wasn't as intense.

I also think Mandelic Acid is good stuff. I used the NuCelle version for a long time, and it worked great. IN fact, I quit using it because I didn't want to use SPF in the summer one year, and I can definitely say that the texture of my skin went downhill from there, until I went on Retin-A Micro again.

Thanx LQ & Carys.

I am using Vivant's Derma Gel. My skin is somewhat sensitive, fair and dry so this was what was recommended to start with. I believe that eventually I will progress to Exfol-A. I used the weakest strength of Retin-A previously, but never saw the results I was looking for. I quit at about 10 weeks. I thought retinoids had failed me, but I wonder if I just didnt give it enough time? Also, according to Dr. James Fulton who created Viivant, Retin-A can be too irritating for some people so I'm hoping for better results with this stuff.

I will definatlely check out the Diana Yvonne website.

Thanx LQ & Carys.

I am using Vivant's Derma Gel. My skin is somewhat sensitive, fair and dry so this was what was recommended to start with. I believe that eventually I will progress to Exfol-A. I used the weakest strength of Retin-A previously, but never saw the results I was looking for. I quit at about 10 weeks. I thought retinoids had failed me, but I wonder if I just didnt give it enough time? Also, according to Dr. James Fulton who created Viivant, Retin-A can be too irritating for some people so I'm hoping for better results with this stuff.

I will definatlely check out the Diana Yvonne website.

Yes, if your skin is on the dry side, Derm-A Gel is definitely be the best place to start ... from what I've read, the Exfol-A and Exfol-A Forte are best for oily-skinned types.

If you run into trouble with Exfol-A down the road, you might consider Green Cream or Diacneal ... either one could be easier for dry skin to handle. Green Cream is a retinol-based gel; Diacneal is retinaldehyde and glycolic acid, also in gel form. Both have an emollient feel.

I forgot all about this thread until the other day ...

I've been working with a wonderful Pilates coach since January and we have become very friendly .... we chat a lot during workout sessions and have gotten to know each other fairly well. The funny thing is that all along, she's been thinking I'm in my early 30s ... she was quite startled to find out I'm turning 42 in August.

I LOVE GREEN CREAM!

Hey, I came across this new website called www.acnefighters.com, if you have a chance check it out, the tips and reviews this site gave me, has helped my skin dramaticly!!!!!!!! :clap: