Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DarkSideOfTheMoon

Mild to Moderate Acne/Extremly Oily Skin

Hello all, I am a 17 year old male that has had mild to moderate acne since i was about 12. Over the years I have been able to keep it under some control. My skin started to get oily when i was 14, but has gotten extremely oily in the past year and half or so. I am at the point where I just want to get rid of it all together. I have been on tetracycline(2 500mg's a day) and topical tretonoin cream(.025% before bed) for a little over 2 weeks. I have noticed almost no difference in my acne, and the oil is still terrible. I'm not talking a little shine either. It is so terrible that at school I have to goto the bathroom 5 times a day to wipe the oil off with oil absorbing sheets only for it to come back in about a half hour. I have talked to my dermatologist about this oil problem and he suggested I try Sebasorb, an over the counter cream that is supposed to keep oil off your face. That product did nothing for me...probably because my skin is just so uncontrollably oily. I have an appointment with him in the afternoon on Thursday, and he told me to wash my face once in the morning, then not wipe any oil off all day so he can see just how bad the oil problem is. From what I've read, I think that Accutane would be a good bet for me. If I have to, I am going to beg to be put on it. Now here are my questions...to all of you that had very oily skin and/or mild-moderate acne and went on Accutane...did it help your skin stay dry all day while on Accutane?(If so, how long did it take before you started noticing results?) After you finished your course did you skin remain normal or did it go back to being oily? and lastly , how long did it take for your skin to begin to clear?(I ask this question because most people I've seen go on Accutane have had moderate to severe acne) I hope you guys can help me out...Thank you very much.

I had mild to moderate acne when I went on accutane 2 years ago. My skin stayed reeaalllyyy dry all day! Even after using a lot of moisturizer I still had a lot of trouble keeping my skin from being really dry. But I wasnt extremely oily to begin with, as you seem to be. So you will probably even out more than I did, and be dry but not to the extreme I was. My lips were the worst problem :(

I saw results in a month, I think. I remember my doctor was amazed at how quickly I cleared up. I stayed on it for about 5 months anyway, just to ensure I stayed clear. And I did, for a long time. But I got lazy after a while and stopped taking care of my skin. I dont really have oily skin at all now, but its not really dry either. Actually, I'm still pretty clear..I'm not sure why I'm obsessed with these forums sometimes, but I'm paranoid that my acne will come back.

I just realized I sound really confusing lol.

I say go for it. I almost guarentee actutane will get rid of your oily skin..at least for a while.

Now here are my questions...to all of you that had very oily skin and/or mild-moderate acne and went on Accutane...did it help your skin stay dry all day while on Accutane?(If so, how long did it take before you started noticing results?) After you finished your course did you skin remain normal or did it go back to being oily? and lastly , how long did it take for your skin to begin to clear?(I ask this question because most people I've seen go on Accutane have had moderate to severe acne) I hope you guys can help me out...Thank you very much.

I find it very hard to believe that your derm will prescribe accutane for extremely oily skin. I have extremely oily skin with very mild acne now (have been on doxy for 7 months and it has completely cleared my skin) and thus had a derm appt from ages ago to attempt to get accutane for my very very oily skin. Needless to say he wouldn't prescribe me the drug. He told me the only way i'd get it would be to pay $1000's to buy it. Not fucking likely. Anyway, what country are you in attempting to get accutane?

And imo topical tretinoin is the worst thing you can put on your skin...made my skin go from mild to severe about september-october last year. Ditch it!

If you're very oily, I'm surprised that your derm would prescribe tretinoin. It's notorious for increasing oiliness. I went from moderate oiliness to severe oiliness after starting it. I would suggest talking to your derm about trying other medications that do not increase oiliness before going on Accutane.

Also, two weeks is not long enough to decide whether or not a medication is working. You have to give any new regimen at least 4-8 weeks to see any difference in your skin. You didn't get acne overnight, so it won't go away overnight, either.

The accutane would def help with your acne and oily skin.. youll be dry while on accutane and once your off the oil will come back slighty but no where near how it was before taking the drug. I took it 4 years ago and had the same problem as you with wiping the oil in school 2x a day. My acne was mild to moderate also.. my derm was reluctant to give it to me but i had tried alot of other things that werent working so he finally agreed. You have to be persistant and stern with these derms... esspecailly girls trying to get it with all the pregnancy risks. If you want it... then go for it.. personally i think you should.. It gave me 4 years of beautiful skin... my acne came back a couple months ago and i didnt think twice to go back on.. i am starting again at the end of this week.. its up to you.. if this derm wont give it to you go to another one.. GOOD LUCK!

The accutane would def help with your acne and oily skin.. youll be dry while on accutane and once your off the oil will come back slighty but no where near how it was before taking the drug.

Dry as in no more uncomfortable oil at all throughout the day?