Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soul78

Does this Derm speak the truth???

Waited over a month to see a Derm. This guy didn't even touch it or insepct my bump/cyst. Looked at it and said it wasn't too bad, I had to actually point it out to him. He said the only way is to rid of it is to excise it, meaning he would cut into it and then give me 1 stich or possibly 2 stiches at the most. I said will it scar? He said likely a little one. He was quick to add the cost $200 that is not covered under OHIP.

I asked him about an injection? He looked surprised that I knew of this and said, we shy away from them on the face because of possible indents. I said is that common? He said no, it's rare. I was beginning to hear some warning bells because why would he not suggest an injection first? He then added that the cost of an injection is $75 and that at times it may take two shots to rid of it.

I asked what he thinks I should do? He said I could approach it conservatively and try the injection first, then asked if it was something I wanted to take care of today? He seemed a little forceful and I had a bad feeling because he seemed like he just wanted to cut into me and get the $200. He has a clinic where he does plastic surgery as well as dermotology so i thought maybe he was just interested in $

Does this sound right to you guys? I thought excision is a last resort if it is like huge, I had to point the bump out to him. i don't trust this guy, should I go to another? I am so confused...

thanks

I'd get a second opinion.

If it's a boil (cystic acne), I think they can inject it with cortisone. And that certainly shouldn't cost that much.

See another doctor for a second opinion if you are uncomfortable.

omg iv been to one of those clinics before.. pure forceful.. id say stay away... do you mind me asking which derm clinic you went to or what city it was it... (cuz i see it was in ontario cuz of ohip)

totally sounded like he even admitted the injection was a better idea. sounds like a total scam...go elsewhere.

Hi, it's a clinic/centre up just north of Toronto in Barrie ON.

I need to find a reputable, experienced derm who is not going to rush me in and out and who will take time to do a good job on me. I didn't think it would be like this.

i also wanted to ask about a few lingering 8 month old red marks I have - but this guy just wanted a yes or no answer on what I wanted to do - pronto.

can anyone suggest a good derm with cyst injection experience in the Greater Toronto Area?

Thanks!

well im not very derm experienced.. but i recently went to a derm that works in a hospital and he perscribed spironolactone and birth control for me and the visit was covered by ohip (duno if he would do injections or that stuff)... my family doc gave me a referral... so id suggest you go to your family doctor and tell him you wanna derm referral...

when i had cystic acne my derm injected me with cortisone for free. actually he still does it for free on my raised hypertrophic scars on my back. i don't even think cortisone injections should even cost $75, maybe 35-50$?

Some ppl on the scar forum have complained about indents after cortisone injections. I have had one on my chin with no problems.

I am thinking about going here:

www.dlkonavenue.com

I called and the doctor is experienced in giving cortisone injections for cysts. There is a one time consultation fee of $100 and the injection is around $50 and up depending on concentration and how much is used.

I just don't want an inexperienced derm not injecting properly, the last thing I want is an ident in my cheek for the summer or worse, for good.

I have been to two local derms, one said to leave it as it may go away, the other said to cut it out for $200 then offered to inject it after I questioned him about injecting it.

what do you all think about this place? I am not conerned too much about the money, I just want someone experienced who cares about what they are doing.