Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrhamster

BETTER PERSPECTIVE ON LIFE

Hi all,

Im 36 now, and have been through all the things that some here are going through.

Im very lucky in that my acne has gone, but i still have weird skin LOL.

Id say from 16-32 my skin was a real pain in the ass.

It robbed me of my teenage years because I didnt think anyone could really grasp the depth of feeling I had about how I looked. Without blowing my own trumpet, lots of people told me I was good looking, but I never could understand why they would say such a thing, when inside I felt like a walking greaseball.

All my relationships failed. Why? because i was afraid to let anyone get close enough to touch my face. When they did they got a handfull of oily residue! lol

If affected my work, because I didnt want to go in. I felt so bad, how could I be confident when i had yellow pussy spots all over my face?

But all this worry about looks, and how we are percived made me think about how shallow the majority of people are regarding face values.

I call it the suit theory.

you can put on a suit, and everyone assumes you must be doing quite well in your life, and the way you are treated by people changes.

you put on old jeans and a t-shirt, and again perception of your status in life by others is moved again.

I think this is because from school and onwards we are not taught philosophy, and how to understand the perception of us as whole human beings.

All it was really was, fear. Fear of what others may think, fear of what they think of me as a person.

But the truth i found out was, that no one really cares what so ever what you look like. And the shallow person was ME!

Why should i be so important that everyone would want to look at me? When i understood that a large part of the problem was my EGO, i learned to relax.

Of course getting my skin better was still very important. But the difference was I had a better perspective on it.

I hope some of this makes sense, its just part of what i went through.

cheers!

:)

Dear Sir Hamster,

I believe you views are quite true. One's perception and attitude.

You have raised some very good points old chum & I must say I do agree.

The truth is that looks don't play such a big part as people may think (with exceptions). As long as you are kind and respectful of everyone around you, no one will judge you based on looks.

Do take care my good friend, I hope you fare well in your quest to better your skin. =]

All it was really was, fear. Fear of what others may think, fear of what they think of me as a person.

But the truth i found out was, that no one really cares what so ever what you look like. And the shallow person was ME!

Why should i be so important that everyone would want to look at me? When i understood that a large part of the problem was my EGO, i learned to relax.

Beautiful post! I can relate with what you wrote ^; I used to be so incredibly self-conscious to the point where I'd get embarrassed over every little thing and I had absolutely no confidence. I felt like people were judging me on my looks- that they would reject me because of it, and I ended up being wary of people. It was hard to put my trust in someone when I was always questioning their sincerity.

Eventually, I learned that these thoughts encouraged self-absorption. Whether I was worrying about what others would think of me, wondering if they were judging how I look- all of this showed how self-involved I was. Did people really care? Were they watching every step I took like I thought they would be? Not at all. "Mean" people are always going to exist, there are always going to be negative comments no matter how attractive, successful, or intelligent you are. At the same time, they don't really care that much. It's important to remember that the opinions you should place value in are of those people you care about and who care about you. But the person who cares the most about who you are and what you look like is yourself. We're the ones picking apart our own looks and focusing on our flaws the most, not so much everyone else... they have their own lives to worry about.

Dear Sir Hamster,

I believe you views are quite true. One's perception and attitude.

You have raised some very good points old chum & I must say I do agree.

The truth is that looks don't play such a big part as people may think (with exceptions). As long as you are kind and respectful of everyone around you, no one will judge you based on looks.

Do take care my good friend, I hope you fare well in your quest to better your skin. =]

Thank you kind sir,

I also Reciprocrate good feelings towards you and your personal journey.

I trust you will always be in fine fettle! HURAH!

God save the Spleen! :clap:

Beautiful post! I can relate with what you wrote ^; I used to be so incredibly self-conscious to the point where I'd get embarrassed over every little thing and I had absolutely no confidence. I felt like people were judging me on my looks- that they would reject me because of it, and I ended up being wary of people. It was hard to put my trust in someone when I was always questioning their sincerity.

Eventually, I learned that these thoughts encouraged self-absorption. Whether I was worrying about what others would think of me, wondering if they were judging how I look- all of this showed how self-involved I was. Did people really care? Were they watching every step I took like I thought they would be? Not at all. "Mean" people are always going to exist, there are always going to be negative comments no matter how attractive, successful, or intelligent you are. At the same time, they don't really care that much. It's important to remember that the opinions you should place value in are of those people you care about and who care about you. But the person who cares the most about who you are and what you look like is yourself. We're the ones picking apart our own looks and focusing on our flaws the most, not so much everyone else... they have their own lives to worry about.

Nice one Raleigh, good thoughts there :cool:

Im very lucky in that my acne has gone, but i still have weird skin LOL.

How did you get rid of your acne?

I think in my case it was just a matter of time as I got older, my body settled down, and therefore less sebum was produced because of reduced hormone levels.

I have a few scars, but they are only really noticable to myself.

As of now im just trying to improve/get rid of some nasty blackheads on my nose, and improve the texture of my skin.

Previous to it clearing up i had tried most things that people had used on this forum, but mine seemed very stubbon. Thankfully as I say time seems to be the ultimate healer.

One thing that seemed to work well for me was qunioderm cream.

Cheers!