Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CAMPBELLS

Shaving...switch to electric shaver?

It seems like the acne I get now (on the cheeks) is due to my beard growing in finally. I'm 19 and the hair on my cheeks is finally starting to grow in thicker and fill in where as it used to just be the sporadic patches haha. Anyways it seems that after a shave is when I get pimples. They aren't razor bumps or anything like that because I don't get them in places where my hair is fully grown in on the rest of my face. I've been using just a generic 2 blade disposable razor to shave and discarding it after each time, but I'm thinking that razors might be cutting my hair too short causing the acne when they grow back.

So I was wondering if it might be beneficial to me to get an electric shaver where I could adjust how close the shave is. Anybody with some insight on this or advice? I'd hate to go and buy an electric if it makes my skin worse. Also if you think this is a good switch can anyone recommend a good shaver? And is there much of a difference between rotary and regular electric savers? Thanks all and sorry for all the questions.

It seems like the acne I get now (on the cheeks) is due to my beard growing in finally. I'm 19 and the hair on my cheeks is finally starting to grow in thicker and fill in where as it used to just be the sporadic patches haha. Anyways it seems that after a shave is when I get pimples. They aren't razor bumps or anything like that because I don't get them in places where my hair is fully grown in on the rest of my face. I've been using just a generic 2 blade disposable razor to shave and discarding it after each time, but I'm thinking that razors might be cutting my hair too short causing the acne when they grow back.

So I was wondering if it might be beneficial to me to get an electric shaver where I could adjust how close the shave is. Anybody with some insight on this or advice? I'd hate to go and buy an electric if it makes my skin worse. Also if you think this is a good switch can anyone recommend a good shaver? And is there much of a difference between rotary and regular electric savers? Thanks all and sorry for all the questions.

Hi there,

Its all down to personal preference really. I find a really good quality razor - the gillette ones are normally nice and sharp, the best option.

i use a hot CLEAN flannel and put it on my face for about 30 seconds, and then apply some good quality shaving foam or gel.

The hairs then shave off really smoothly, and no snags or ingrowing hairs which can lead sometimes to spots. Ive also found that blade razors exofiliate the skin, and get rid of the dead skin cells that can hang around the hair.

But this is what works for me, im sure there are great quality electric shavers around. Id get the best one you can afford personally, one which lets you wet shave with gel.

Just experiment and see what you are happy with :D

All the best

Hamster

Thanks much for the advice Hamster. Yeah I used to use one of those fancy razors like the Mach 4 or one of those names, but I stopped because the refill blades were so damn expensive. Maybe it is just a preference between razor and electric though like you say. I definatly agree in that razors exfoliate better. I just thought for my case an electric with a higher setting to leave a little stubble might cause less irritation and help my problem.

Anyone else have a preference or info?

I am shaing myself with a Philips Cool Skin. I started using this, because my skin went very dry because of the knifes. The device is really easy to keep clean, because you can shower with it and clean it with water.

But, there's one thing thats disappointing: it doesn't shave so well as a razors sometimes (if I go out) I'll have to shave myself two times a day :(

Thanks for the reply bob. I think I have seen that online. So you'd say it doesn't cut extremely close and leaves a little stubble? I think that is what I'm looking for because I don't much mind having to shave more often in switching to an electric. I just want something that doesn't cut the hair so deep that it has to grow through the skin again and potentially lead to pores getting clogged like a razor does. Thanks for the replies guys.

I really dont get on with electric shavers. They cut the hair but dont exfoliate the skin at all and ruff up the skin that is there. They also tug on some of the hairs which they dont manage to cut which can cause infection as the hair springs back into the skin.

The best way to deal with your problem is to wash daily or even twice daily with a good Glycolic facewash keeping the layer of dead skin from building up and trapping the hairs and bacteria. The best I have found by some margin is made by Anthony. It is expensive but lasts well if used sensibly. It takes off the layers of dead skin but dont leave your skin dry at all, the other bonus is that its non foaming and clear and works very well as an exfoliating shaving oil/cream. Before I found this product I could barely wash my face without it drying excessively. Now I can wash my face as often as I like without any drying.

Invest in an antifog mirror that you can stick up on the wall in your shower, get the skin nice and wet, wash face with Anthony glycolic facewash but do not rinse off, shave downward strokes only using a good quality razor rinsing the razor after every stroke. Rinse face again when done.

I have struggled with shaving for years trying every product known to man at any cost and this one product added to using an antifog mirror in the shower has finally cracked it for me.

Well first off I want to say thanks for all the replies. I decided to buy an electric today to just try it out since they have money back guarantees I figured I might as well give it a shot. I ended up with the Philips Cool Shave which can go in the shower so I can keep my skin wet and lathered easier. Just used it and my first impression was that it did very well for me. My face wasn't all red and puffed up like after using a razor and didn't hurt. Hopefully I wont get any irritation from it but I guess I'll see soon. Doesn't seem like I will though.

I also picked up an exfoliating cleanser to help clear away dead skin and hopefully keep me from getting ingrown hairs or anything like that.

Well first off I want to say thanks for all the replies. I decided to buy an electric today to just try it out since they have money back guarantees I figured I might as well give it a shot. I ended up with the Philips Cool Shave which can go in the shower so I can keep my skin wet and lathered easier. Just used it and my first impression was that it did very well for me. My face wasn't all red and puffed up like after using a razor and didn't hurt. Hopefully I wont get any irritation from it but I guess I'll see soon. Doesn't seem like I will though.

I also picked up an exfoliating cleanser to help clear away dead skin and hopefully keep me from getting ingrown hairs or anything like that.

Glad to hear youve found somthing that works for you!

:D