Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
posterchild

what is considered long term on antibiotics

I'm in my fifth month of taking antibiotics. I've read a lot of warnings about antibiotic use on these boards. Should I try to get off soon? I doubt my doctor would have me take them indefinitely but I don't know how long he has in mind.

I think you can be on them for about two years but not more than that. I think you should ask your dermatologist how long you can be on them for but you should probably stop before two years.

Guest tired of this shish

I think I've heard of two years too although some people develop immunity or other side effects sooner than 2...you should determine two things: 1) whether your acne is still responding to the antibios and 2) whether blood work, physical exams are all in check to make sure the medication isn't affecting you...if all two conditions check out you can still continue them as long as they don't affect you.

well asumming they are working as soon as you get off your skin will go back to how it was before.

Is this definite? Or is there just a high chance that it will come back? 'cos I am on antibiotics and a retin-a topical at the moment. I just got them from my GP and he said that if I wanted anything stronger I would have to see a derm. but I am not bad enough for accutane... hmm.....

But back to the question in hand, I think two years is the maximum for antibiotics but my GP said the they are most commonly used for 3 - 6 months! :/

I'm in my fifth month of taking antibiotics. I've read a lot of warnings about antibiotic use on these boards. Should I try to get off soon? I doubt my doctor would have me take them indefinitely but I don't know how long he has in mind.

Considering a normal course of antibiotics for the treatment of an acute infection is 10-14 days, I would think anything beyond 4 weeks with no end in sight as long term. Many doctors just want to keep giving acne patients antibiotics indefinitely instead of getting to the cause of the "infection" in the first place. That being said, however, there is no cure for acne. Period.

Even Accutane is considered a treatment and not a cure, even though a large majority treated with it are all but cured for the rest of their lives.

Some day, in a perfect world, genetic researchers will find the gene that causes/triggers acne and will be able to treat it or cure it through gene therapy. Wouldn't that be lovely? I gaurantee it won't be in my lifetime, though.

Thanks for your thoughts. Next time I see my doctor, I will probably ask to be weaned off. The thing is I don't know what is controlling the acne - antibiotics or tretinoin. Could be it's neither and my hormones are just back to normal after bad bout with BC. If stopping antibiotics sees increase in acne, then at least that gives me information.