Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floss

Microwave cooking

Just wondered what the opinion is about microwave cooking these days, is it ok or should it be avoided? I know it probably kills a few vitamins, but does it do that any more than other types of cooking would? Is making scrambled eggs in the microwave ok? And how about putting fats in?

Just wondered what the opinion is about microwave cooking these days, is it ok or should it be avoided? I know it probably kills a few vitamins, but does it do that any more than other types of cooking would? Is making scrambled eggs in the microwave ok? And how about putting fats in?

Try avoiding microwave cooking. I think there some radiating waves go through the foods. stick to baking or boiling in water type of cooking. Don't put too many fats, excess fats go through your skin pores. Well, atleast this is in my opinion. I am trying out this new way of diet. Good luck:)

When I have the option between microwaving something and heating it up by other means, I usually choose the other means.

Through my researching I've found that heat indeed can kill off vitamins and minerals so the high heat in a microwave is doing just that. Try not to microwave things like fresh vegetables, you wouldn't wanna go through the trouble of eating them just to get no benefits.

Yeah but ANY kinda cooking uses a 'high heat' so is it worse than any other kind?

I copied this from a site: However, microwave heating appears to produce the greatest losses than other forms of cooking. Microwaves are high frequency electromagnetic waves that alternate in positive and negative directions causing vibration of food molecules up to 2.5 billion times per second. This creates friction and heat that can destroy the fragile structure of vitamins and enzymes. Microwaves may also cause pathological changes in your body. Once a food's structure is altered, it cannot perform the desired function in your body

I copied this from a site: However, microwave heating appears to produce the greatest losses than other forms of cooking.

Sorry, but that ain't what Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw say in their book Life Extension, and I trust them a LOT more than most other sources. Here's an excerpt from the book (page 369...the added emphasis is mine):

"...The following lists food preparation methods in terms of carcinogen production from worst to least: meat cooked directly over charcoal, baked or broiled meat, pan-fried meat, microwave-cooked meat, or boiled meat. Carcinogen production is negligible in the last two cooking techniques. Microwave cooking also destroys the least vitamins, whereas boiling causes almost complete loss of water-soluble vitamins. From the standpoint of nutrition, convenience, and safety, microwave cooking is superior."

Bryan

Guest Gentle~Rain

I just want to add in that if you do use the microwave...please be sure to use the correct cooking vessle because BAD things happen to the wrong kinds of plastics and that's a no no for your body ;)

ive read that microwaves change the molecules of food. so ur body cant absorb it well. i avoid microwaved food.

Heres a good site on the subject.

http://healthyherbs.about.com/od/preparati...a/microwave.htm

I would'nt trust em as far as I could throw em to be honest - we have so many different forms of electromagnetic energy bombing around the place as it is, why would you need some more in the kitchen? I am of the opinion that they are not a natural way to cook food and that they alter the structure of molecules by superheating them. Just the fact that there is an allowable safe level of leakage set for microwaves should ring a few warning bells - they are potentially dangerous, don't use em.

FUCK ACNE, IT MAKES PEOPLE WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT REGULAR LIFE.

Chances are pretty high that if it's bad for your skin, it's bad for your health in general. Everyone should care about their health.

Heres a good site on the subject.

http://healthyherbs.about.com/od/preparati...a/microwave.htm

I would'nt trust em as far as I could throw em to be honest - we have so many different forms of electromagnetic energy bombing around the place as it is, why would you need some more in the kitchen? I am of the opinion that they are not a natural way to cook food and that they alter the structure of molecules by superheating them. Just the fact that there is an allowable safe level of leakage set for microwaves should ring a few warning bells - they are potentially dangerous, don't use em.

All microwaves do is generate heat caused by the vibrations of the water molecules present in the food. A pure fat that contains very little residual water cannot be heated in a microwave (seen way more in cosmetic formulation than in my own kitchen.....even butter and olive oil contain water. If you're afraid of unnatural sources of electromagnetic radiation, you'd better just go live under a rock. Never use a cell phone, or watch a TV. Don't ever listen to a radio. Never eat dried herbs or spices (they are irridiated). And never ever get X-rays......oh and stay out of the sun......that's a great source of electromagnetic radiation........

I may have just discovered the cure to acne......where's my nobel prize?????

All microwaves do is generate heat caused by the vibrations of the water molecules present in the food. A pure fat that contains very little residual water cannot be heated in a microwave (seen way more in cosmetic formulation than in my own kitchen.....even butter and olive oil contain water. If you're afraid of unnatural sources of electromagnetic radiation, you'd better just go live under a rock. Never use a cell phone, or watch a TV. Don't ever listen to a radio. Never eat dried herbs or spices (they are irridiated). And never ever get X-rays......oh and stay out of the sun......that's a great source of electromagnetic radiation........

I may have just discovered the cure to acne......where's my nobel prize?????

Yeah, cos thats what I was saying was'nt I - AVOID ALL FORMS OF ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION.... Jeez. Would you choose to live under a mobile phone mast? Neither would I, and I choose not to live with appliances like microwave ovens as well - it's called being selective.

P.S the sun is a natural source of radiation...

But the big hole in the ozone layer isn't "natural"..............

But the big hole in the ozone layer isn't "natural"..............

And your point being? There's a big hole in the ozone layer making us more vulnerable to UV, we are surrounded by radiowaves, X-rays are part and parcel of many hospital procedures, gamma rays are something we are increasingly going to have to deal with if we can't find cleaner alternative sources of energy, so hell we may as well all go and get ourselves a microwave to top it all off! Sorry, but I don't get where you are coming from.....

Guest hopelessGuy

A couple of people have asked wether my mother stood by the microwave when she was pregnant with me?

My response is nope....just dropped me on my medulla oblongata as a child!

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!!!

LETS GO METS!!!

post-38944-1145908737_thumb.jpg

post-38944-1145908737_thumb.jpg

Honestly, it's stuff like this that turns me away from the hollistic/natural approach because I refuse to worry about something like the microwave. I have so many other things to worry about, like bills, being able to afford living, planning for school, etc...I don't have time to live in fear of the microwave. Not that I would want to anyway.

I feel the same as labgirl, if you're bothered by this kind of stuff, living under a rock in the desert somewhere might be your best choice. To avoid what's "bad for us"....that's about what you would have to do.

I don't believe in living in fear and paranoia, and I know that living that way would not help clear my acne - in fact, I'm certain that would make it worse.

I don't believe in living in fear and paranoia, and I know that living that way would not help clear my acne - in fact, I'm certain that would make it worse.

I agree.........

Let's just say the microwave is a step down health-wise when compared to traditional ways of cooking. Just don't use it unless you really need to. It's not hard.

Honestly, it's stuff like this that turns me away from the hollistic/natural approach because I refuse to worry about something like the microwave. I have so many other things to worry about, like bills, being able to afford living, planning for school, etc...I don't have time to live in fear of the microwave. Not that I would want to anyway.

I feel the same as labgirl, if you're bothered by this kind of stuff, living under a rock in the desert somewhere might be your best choice. To avoid what's "bad for us"....that's about what you would have to do.

To avoid whats bad for us you would have to live in a friggin oxygen tent! I don't consider myself fearful or paranoid, just a healthy skeptic.

Honestly, microwaves come with warnings about making sure that the seal is'nt damaged and getting them checked regularly to make sure they are not leaking microwaves left right and bloody centre. Do you let your kids press their noses up against them when they are on? I doubt it. Then why even bother having one in the house? I have a mobile, a computer (obviously), a television and I also live in the real world where I drink (occasionally), smoke (occasionally) and eat foods that are'nt always good for me and I have absolutely no desire to live under a bloody rock!

The holistic approach does'nt have to be about being a lentil eating purist, but it is about applying a degree of critical thinking and trying to do things in the most natural, and least harmful way possible.

You are all ignorant: When you use a microwave, the nutrients and all the good stuff stay with the food, and on the other hand when boiling or using a pan, the nutrients is burned off or something.

Look it up

You are all ignorant: When you use a microwave, the nutrients and all the good stuff stay with the food, and on the other hand when boiling or using a pan, the nutrients is burned off or something.

Look it up

Bollox - look it up - b.o.l.l.o.x

http://www.jrussellshealth.com/microwaves.html

Decrease In Food Value — Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritive value of all foods researched. There was a decrease in bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotropics in all foods, a loss of 60 to 90% of the vital energy field of all tested foods, and a marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

Besides, I pretty much steam everything.