Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Isopropyl myristate in Retin A cream

I see this is listed as the #2 ingredient in Retin A cream ... according to the Acne Detective database, isopropyl myristate rates a 5 for comedogenicity, 3 for irritancy.

Why is this chemical in an acne treatment product?

Should I panic?

Help, LabGirl!

Im curious too.

except my retin a (which is retin a MICRO<--which might account for the difference) lists methyl mathacrylate as the second ingredient. wierd. someone told me that micro was less irritating.?

I know the gel formulation is totally different.

Is Retin A Micro a gel, or is there a cream version of it, too? And yeah, it's supposed to be less irritating.

mine says Retin A micro (tretinoin gel) microsphere 0.1%, but it definately does not look like a gel...it is a creamy color, but i guess gel has some scientific meaning different from what i think of as gel.

Paula's choice:

isopropyl myristate. Used in cosmetics as a thickening agent and emollient. Historically, animal testing has shown it to be a cause of clogged pores (Source: Archives of Dermatology, June 1986, pages 660–665). That type of testing was eventually considered unreliable and there is no subsequent research showing this ingredient to be any more of a problem for skin than other emollient, waxy ingredients used in cosmetics.

A bit ironic it's in an acne medication. (Correct use of ironic?) I'm definitely using SA to help pores from being blocked.

that will explain why i broke out like hell while on retnin a. that stuff is pure crisco oil on my skin and after an hour of application. i dont know but the stuff is great for discolorations but pimples its good only for spot treating. just my opinion.

Well, of course many people break out during the first few months of retinoid use due to purging.

But I'm 99.9% clear right now and using Retin A primarily for its anti-aging benefits. I am still struggling a bit with my stubborn pores, which periodically try to clog up on me .... and now it looks like the damn Retin A might be working against me.

GRRRRRRRRRR.

Okay.....waited till this morning......cuz I was sleepy.....

What is IPM doing in an acne cream. What was Johnosn & Jonhson thinking when they formulated that???

Okay. I think I have an answer. It's a good emollient for dry skin, which the retin-a can easily cause, due to the thinning of the epidermis. Is is comedogenic?.....yes it is by itself......applied at 100% concentration and also when used in higer concentrations in creams and lotions......It also contains stearic acid, which isn't realy one of the good guys either.....

Did Ortho-McNeil think they'd sell more pimple cream if it would give it's users more pimples???

No....it doesn't work like that. They put the tretonin in a emollient base to ease it's penetration into the skin and also to formulate a "not-as-drying-as" formula.

This is a pharmaceutical product, not a cosmetic one. And guess what.....A whole bunch of other regulatory rules apply to drugs......Do they need to test for comeodgenicity? Nope.......It's a topical retinoid.....it is by default non-comedogenic. Any of the products that my company makes that contain salicylic acid do not require comedogeniciy testing, becaues the SA make the product by default....non-comedogeic....

So most products that are drugs (Retin-a, Differin....etc) and cosmetic drugs (like and BP products) are not tested for comedogenicity.....they just pass by default.......

Does that mean that retin-a cream might be comedogenic????

I'm doubting it. First of all.....here where the other set of rules comes in.....The isopropyl myristate that you see as the second ingredient may acutally be the fifth as far as concentration in the formula goes. Drug inactives aren't labeled the same way as cosmetic ingredients are. Instead of being listed in decending order by concentration in the formula they are simply listed in alphabetical order.......you have no way of knowing which one is first....This is perfectly legal as long as the product doesn't make any cosmetic claims, and only is marketed as a drug....(another reason why comedogenicity testing isn't required here.....it's not a cosmetic....so who cares if it's comedogenic or not)......

Which brings us to the question does the IMP in retin-a make it comedogenic???.....

I'm going to say no here. Because think of the amount of IMP that's in that formula.....maybe 2% if that. No how much to you apply to your whole face? A pea sized dab. It's such a tiny amount that your actually applying......

Now think of the drug's active, tretonin. It speeds up your skin cell cycle, purges out all the gunk in your pores, and prevents the pores from plugging up.......a product that prevents the formation of comedoes isn't going to cause the formntion of them......how on earth would that product have been able to be considered clinically effective.......and passed all the nessecary testing???.......

Relax.....the active's ability to reduce the formation of comedoes is far more powerful than the IPM's ability to clog pores.......

It's fine to use....but I like the retin-a micro better myself........it's less irritating and more effective.....

My own personal experience w/Retin-A cream (not Retin-A Micro) was that it wasn't as good at keeping the skin clear. In fact, after switching from the Retin-A gel in it's weakest strength (which kept me pretty damn clear) to the cream in a higher strength, I ended up getting many more clogged pores than I had had previously. I kept trying to figure out what was the problem, but never really understood it until I got off of that formulation. Surprise, surprise, my skin got a bit clearer, but not perfect.

Thanks so much, LabGirl, I definitely understand it much better now ...

... but I still want to switch to Retin A Micro. :)

Thanks so much, LabGirl, I definitely understand it much better now ...

... but I still want to switch to Retin A Micro. :)

If available Retin A Micro is a better choice......not as irritating, and more effective.....

I see this is listed as the #2 ingredient in Retin A cream ... according to the Acne Detective database, isopropyl myristate rates a 5 for comedogenicity, 3 for irritancy.

Why is this chemical in an acne treatment product?

Should I panic?

Help, LabGirl!

question: Do you have a link to the website for the Acne Detective Database?

(The reason I ask is becaus the ratings sound like how they used rate products by use of the rabbit ear test. Zero for best and 5 for worst.)

question: Do you have a link to the website for the Acne Detective Database?

(The reason I ask is becaus the ratings sound like how they used rate products by use of the rabbit ear test. Zero for best and 5 for worst.)

Here's a link:

Acne Detective database

Just wanted to add .... if I were using the Retin A cream against a major case of active acne right now, I'm sure I'd stick it out for awhile based on LabGirl's information. I do know it's an effective product.

In my case, though, because I'm so close to clear right now, and the clogged pores are something I'm very aware of ... I think RAM gel is the best option for me. At least I will have eliminated one possible cause ....