Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tofupalace

thinking about oily skin

I was doing some googling tonite on excessive sebum production, these are a few highlights from the last couple hours. Any thoughts on these studies/products from people who have an interest in oily skin (like me)?

Vitamin E (google cache is only working link to page i could find for this one)

"Excessive sebum production and oxidative decomposition of sebum can create major skin problems (unclean skin, acne). Vitamin E reduces sebum production in the skin very effectively. Natural d-alpha tocopherol was most effective with 73% sebum reduction and therefore effective in acne treatment both through sebum reduction and by suppressing inflammation caused by oxidative processes."

COX-2 proteins, UVB irradiation, PPAR gamma, sebaceous cell function, and you. Maybe someone with a science background could glean a little more from this article. Once again, use the google cached page.

"In addition, in mouse epidermis, overexpression of COX-2 is associated with a cutaneous phenotype demonstrating sebaceous gland hypertrophy and greasy hair, suggestive of increased sebum production (Neufang et al., 2001; Muller-Decker et al., 2002). Thus, our findings that PPAR activation induces COX-2 expression in SZ95 sebocytes may indicate a PPAR/COX-2-mediated pathway regulating sebocyte proliferation and/or lipogenesis."

Silicol Skin (older product, first time i've heard of it)

"There was a highly significant difference in efficacy between the two groups (P < 0.001) in favour of the actively treated group. The mean sebum index was 193 at baseline and 88 after 6 weeks. Correspondingly, in the placebo group the mean sebum index at baseline was 187 and after 6 weeks, 179. This difference between the two groups was also statistically significant (P < 0.001)."

Old study (1985) on UVA irradiation on sebum production

"UVA irradiation on the face for 10 minutes daily (0.55 J/cm2/min) over a period of 3 weeks resulted in continuous reduction of the random level in most of the tested persons; a small part of them reacted by fluctuating values."