Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jhjh

Salicylic acid & Differin?

ive been using a combination of a salicylic acid face wash, then applying clyndimycin (however its spelled), and then differin. Ive had great results so far, and ive been with it for a week or so, i havent had any new breakouts. but the only problem is after my face dries once i wash it, it is very, very dry. so dry that its red, after i put everything else on, and then some moisturizer, it stays a bit red but eventully its normal.

Is this extreme dryness bad? or is it just going to take some time to get my face to ajust?

Hi Jhjh, Your skin could be adjusting to the meds and get better with time. When I used differin with additional topicals, my face became really red and dry. The biggest thing that helped me was using the SA on alternating nights and making sure that I waited a full 30 mins after washing to put on the differin and to use a pea size amount (Do you use the cream or the gel ?-the cream is more gentle). Also make sure you moisturize where you tend to feel dry 30 mins after putting on the differin and wear sunscreen as your skin is more sensitive to the sun from differin. But of course this is based on my experience and your skin could be different from mine:) Good Luck!!

I have always found SA washes incredibly drying ... not sure why that is, since it doesn't stay on the face all that long, but it has definitely been my experience!

If you want to use SA (which CAN work very well with Differin) I think you could control it better by doing the following:

-- Use a very gentle neutral cleanser, such as Cetaphil bar or Purpose bar

-- Use a topical SA product ... some good options here:

Paula's Choice

Or here:

Diana Yvonne

-- Use the Differin and SA at different times of the day to start with .... or even on alternate days ... until your skin has fully adjusted to both.