Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ih8teACne777

THE fact that you people are depressed proves american society is a FAILURE

you have to first realize looks are subjective. there are no ABSOLUTE good looking people, or ABSOLUTE ugly people. Its all opinion based an subjective. WHen you watch TV and see people like brad pitt you dont actually think its a FACT these people are beautiful do you? its just somebodies opinion. American society has failed in that the media tries to imply that there is an absolute definition of BEAUTY, when in reality the term, and its definition are created by a persons opinion. The whole thing is completely subjective, therefore the term beauty is in the eye of the beholder is in fact a very true statement.

Dont get depressed because of acne. Society, and people who would criticize you for your acne lack the knowledge of subjectivity, and believe what they see on TV as beauty to be absolutes. So being deprssed about acne is just playing right into there hands, in a way confirming their opinions. So i ask you dont be depressed, instead tell them about how their opinions are subjective, and challenge them to prove that there definition of beautiful. They cannot as it is opinion.

Also i realize sometimes cystic acne can bring physical pain, so im only talking about acne with no physical pain involved.

So there you have it the meaning behind the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

remember this, and acne will never bring you emotional pain again.

:)

First post and very well written. I have never really thought of the meaning to beauty, but this makes me realize there is no definition.

Thanks for opening my eyes. Cheered me up a bit!

You know its not just american society that does this but every society so don't go pointing at

america... plus ther is north and south america so be more specific lol... but u are right that many people in

U.S.A have attitude problems but not all. I think its b/c we are so spoiled with a great economy, most don't

suffer nearly as much as people in other countries but again u have to realize its like this in the whole

world.

what a crock...we can define what it means to be attractive simply because we have other people to compare ourselves to.

Physical attractiveness is the perception of the physical traits of an individual human person or a group, race, or type of people, as attractive or beautiful. Such beauty or attractiveness can include many various implications, including but not limited to sexual attractiveness, "cuteness", and physique. Some aspects of how physical traits are judged attractive are universal to all human cultures, while others are restricted to particular cultures/societies or time periods. Physical attractiveness can have a significant effect on how people are judged, in terms of employment or social opportunities, friendship, sexual behavior, and marriage. In many cases humans attribute positive characteristics, such as intelligence and honesty, to attractive people without consciously realizing it. Certain aspects of such attribution behavior have been scientifically documented.

this link will show you what constitutes an attractive face.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_attractiveness

You only have a point to a, well, point.

First, there are certain traits - facial symmetry is the obvious example - that are universally ingrained, for whatever reason, in the human psyche as being more attractive. Second, I can't think of any situation in which having a deforming disease is considered attractive.

Now, I do agree that most of the posters here do not have a deforming disease. They have a few zits here and there that they can't seem to get rid, then they get frustrated and hate their skin until they hate themselves. Nonetheless, acne can be disfiguring - you literally couldn't recognize me or see any regular skin on certain parts of my face when I was at my worst - and, when it is, you're not attractive by any standards, any more than a person with small pox or facial herpes is attractive. There is an evolutionarily built-in aversion to people that are obviously infected like that. If there wasn't, we wouldn't care when we were unhealthy in any way that didn't manifest painful symptoms, and we would be a much sicker species.

you have to first realize looks are subjective. there are no ABSOLUTE good looking people, or ABSOLUTE ugly people. Its all opinion based an subjective. WHen you watch TV and see people like brad pitt you dont actually think its a FACT these people are beautiful do you? its just somebodies opinion. American society has failed in that the media tries to imply that there is an absolute definition of BEAUTY, when in reality the term, and its definition are created by a persons opinion. The whole thing is completely subjective, therefore the term beauty is in the eye of the beholder is in fact a very true statement.

Dont get depressed because of acne. Society, and people who would criticize you for your acne lack the knowledge of subjectivity, and believe what they see on TV as beauty to be absolutes. So being deprssed about acne is just playing right into there hands, in a way confirming their opinions. So i ask you dont be depressed, instead tell them about how their opinions are subjective, and challenge them to prove that there definition of beautiful. They cannot as it is opinion.

Also i realize sometimes cystic acne can bring physical pain, so im only talking about acne with no physical pain involved.

So there you have it the meaning behind the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

remember this, and acne will never bring you emotional pain again.

:)

rock on brother