Notifications
Clear all

Soft Water...

MemberMember
(@sballgirl23)

Posted : 04/21/2006 1:33 pm

OK, I was thinking about this the other day. My time line as to when I started breaking out starts in Nov '05. I'm not sure, but I think that is when we changed over our water to soft water. Point being, whenever I wash my face, hands, hair, whatever, with cleanser/soap, I always feel like there is something left behind with the soft water. Could this be the cause of my sudden breakout in that when I wash my face, not all of the bacteria and dirt is cleaned out? The reason I say this is a few weeks ago, I swipped a bit of rubbing alcohol across my chin just after I got out of the shower and there was sooooo much dirt and oil on the cotton. WTF? Hello! I just washed my face! I don't know. I'm going to try washing my face out in our wash room. That sink still has the hard water. *crosses fingers* Please, please let that be the cause.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/21/2006 1:36 pm

I doubt it.

I have always had hard water at my house. Late last summer we put in a water softener (about 6 months into the Regimen for me), I've seen no difference whatsoever in my acne. The Regimen still keeps me clear.

MemberMember
(@skeptik)

Posted : 04/21/2006 2:40 pm

OK, I was thinking about this the other day. My time line as to when I started breaking out starts in Nov '05. I'm not sure, but I think that is when we changed over our water to soft water. Point being, whenever I wash my face, hands, hair, whatever, with cleanser/soap, I always feel like there is something left behind with the soft water. Could this be the cause of my sudden breakout in that when I wash my face, not all of the bacteria and dirt is cleaned out? The reason I say this is a few weeks ago, I swipped a bit of rubbing alcohol across my chin just after I got out of the shower and there was sooooo much dirt and oil on the cotton. WTF? Hello! I just washed my face! I don't know. I'm going to try washing my face out in our wash room. That sink still has the hard water. *crosses fingers* Please, please let that be the cause.

I think there is a possiblity that the water softener could be aggravating your acne. I have had my acne under control (pretty much clear) for four years until I moved into a house with a water softener in it this year. I don't know if it's the softener or something else that's causing me problems. I know that a water softener uses sodium chloride which is very comedogenic (rated 5/5 for its comedogenicity). But I think it is only sodium ions that end up in the water so it may not be comedogenic. I think we need a chemists opinion....LabGirl, could you answer this?

If you find that washing your face in your sink helps, please let me know!

MemberMember
(@blister23)

Posted : 04/21/2006 2:44 pm

what is soft/hard water ????

MemberMember
(@sballgirl23)

Posted : 04/21/2006 3:09 pm

Hard water is water out of the tap that has a lot of the minerals (calcium, magnesium, sodium). That's why you see a white build up around the shower head or sink. Soft water is water that has those minerals removed except for sodium. It essentially feels "soft". Soft water is better for the plumbing in your house, but I'm thinking it may be bad for my skin.

MemberMember
(@hardnut)

Posted : 04/21/2006 3:15 pm

what is soft/hard water ????

I'd like to know to!!

Is it an american thing?

MemberMember
(@sballgirl23)

Posted : 04/26/2006 10:56 am

I'm not sure if it is an American thing or not. Could be.

Well, I have been washing my face, at night after the gym, in our washroom sink and I have to tell you, I think it is working. All my active spots are gone on my chin and the redness is fading. You know, whether it was the soft wate or not, who cares as long as it is working. I think the rubbing alcohol is working too. I know, I know dries the skin out, but it is removing the dirt and oil.

MemberMember
(@sadgirl1)

Posted : 04/26/2006 12:11 pm

Er...does soft water vs hard water really make a difference?

MemberMember
(@dami4n)

Posted : 04/26/2006 12:50 pm

sballgirl23 i dont think water wud make that much difference to be honest :(

it only water at the end of the day

maybe ur regimen is just taking time to work hey~?

MemberMember
(@sballgirl23)

Posted : 04/26/2006 1:04 pm

You may be right...but either way, it's working.

MemberMember
(@dami4n)

Posted : 04/26/2006 1:08 pm

if its working then thats very cool !

:) all that matters is results at the end of the day

MemberMember
(@real-maverick)

Posted : 04/26/2006 2:57 pm

Here is a fascinating FACT, ....

I live in the south of the UK, here we have hard water, I am orig from the North where we have soft water.

I visit home regularly, and I know that without a doubt I will break out if I use my parents water, so I DON'T!

I don't know if its the soft water or the fact its a change for my skin and it needs to adapt, but I know I can't use their water.

HOWEVER, this isn't a cause of acne I don't believe, I think the change can just irritate your skin perhaps but as it's been installed for 6 months, I don't think it would still be effecting you.

MemberMember
(@sballgirl23)

Posted : 04/26/2006 5:08 pm

Mav,

Very interesting. I'm just going to stay away from the soft water for a while and see what happens. *crosses fingers*

I don't think that the soft water is the cause of my acne, just that my pores aren't being cleansed. Like I said, it just blew me away when I got out of the shower and there was still so much dirt and oil on my chin.

BTW, how's that Dove cleanser working out? Good?

MemberMember
(@diana_mo)

Posted : 03/29/2019 8:18 am

On 4/26/2006 at 8:57 PM, real maverick said:

Here is a fascinating FACT, ....

I live in the south of the UK, here we have hard water, I am orig from the North where we have soft water.

I visit home regularly, and I know that without a doubt I will break out if I use my parents water, so I DON'T!

I don't know if its the soft water or the fact its a change for my skin and it needs to adapt, but I know I can't use their water.

HOWEVER, this isn't a cause of acne I don't believe, I think the change can just irritate your skin perhaps but as it's been installed for 6 months, I don't think it would still be effecting you.

I have the same issue currently! Lived in London for about 6 years and had very nice flawless skin until I moved to Liverpool, where I started to breakout sooo badly! you say you don't use your parents' water when you go North to visit. What do you use instead? help!!