Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beauty From Pain

Help! I need a good foundation for prom..

I wanna do my own makeup for prom and I need suggestions for a good foundation. I have fair, oily, acne-prone skin and some left over red marks from previous red marks. I want something with heavy coverage, but natural looking.

Should I purchase foundations like Derma Blend, Bare Mineral, M.A.C or are there better options out there? My prom is in about 2 weeks, so I need help ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Bare Minerals can give you good coverage, but it takes quite a bit of practice to get the technique right. If you do decide to try it, do yourself a big favor and go to ULTA or Sephora or even Walgreens and get a concealer brush so you can spot cover after you've buffed the foundation on. Then lightly buff on another layer of the foundation on top of that for a nice, seamless look. Seriously, the concealer brush will make a world of difference for you, and I don't even use the BE one (too freaking expensive IMO). I get one from ULTA made by Studio Basics for about $4.99

I really cannot recommend Dermablend because every time I've tried it on a client it has looked extremely cakey. Makes skin feel grimy. Also, tends to "melt" and change color over the course of a few hours because of natural warmth of the skin, so I don't think it would hold up well for a night of dancing at your prom. I think Dermablend shades are very odd and hard to mix, too. I just can't recommend it. No.

One of my favorite drugstore liquid foundations is Revlon Colorstay for Oily Skin. I've gotten away from liquids, but when my skin was worse than it is now and I needed more coverage, this was excellent for me -- it's non-comedogenic, it covered well, felt and looked natural for a good ten hours, did not change color, and did not cause excess shine/oiliness. It can be hard to blend if you don't moisturize first, but not impossible, LOL. They have a decent range of neutral shades. You can probably wear the Ivory one since you're fair. Though I find it's a bit pink in undertone, you can balance that out with a neutral- or warm-toned loose powder after the foundation dries.

I do like Almay foundations, too, but most of them provide light to medium coverage only.

If you'd consider trying a powder foundation, the Covergirl Tru-Blend Powder Foundation is good. Spot-cover with a concealer (one I've had great luck with is Maybelline Everfresh Concealer) and then set that with a very, very light dusting of loose powder (like Maybellilne Shine Free) with a soft powder brush. Then pat on the powder foundation. Then dust over that very, very lightly with the loose powder again to set. It sounds like a lot of layered makeup, but if you keep the loose powder light -- I am talking maybe a quarter of a teaspoon for your entire face/neck -- it will look natural for you.

If you can afford more expensive brands, then what you might do is go to ULTA or Sephora and try out various makeups yourself. It can be a pain in the ass to go to a department store and move from counter to counter trying different products. At makeup stores, though, you can wander around and try things out for yourself at your leisure, and walk outside and check shades in natural light, mix brands, etc. I would definitely recommend doing that. Both stores have a great return/exchange policy, too, so you could try a couple of things in advance and figure out which works best for you. Try doing a full prom face a week or so in advance and wearing it all day (maybe on a Saturday when you don't have to be anywhere) to see how it holds up.

Good luck!

Liz

for my prom i ended up getting mac, and the coverage was really good. with my experience from mac, it looks really natural if you dont spackle it, but after a few touch ups you can start looking cakey. but the mac salespeople were very knowledgeable when i went there, so i'm sure they'd help you find something good.

as of now i switched to shiseido sun protection fluid foundation (i think thats the name) it comes in a cutey little blue bottle, and i LOVE it, it gives a very porcelain look (i use with powder) but i still use the mac studio fix (?) concealer, because its very pigmented, and i need that.

personally, when i've been shopping for makeup, i like to go to bloomingdales, because the salespeople (at least in the one i'm in) arent necessarily pushing one brand. when i went to go get new makeup, the woman who helped me ran around the floor going to mac, paula dorf, and shiseido for different products that she thought would suit me. she didn't just try to push one particular company's products at me, and i appreciated that. i have never had a sephora person help me buy something, but they'd probably be fine. great return policy too.

hope this helps!!

MAC Studiofix Powder Foundation will make your skin look pretty much flawless and natural. Also, you can make the application as light or heavy as you want. Using a quality powder brush will give you the most natural look possible, and a MAC rep will help you find close-to-perfect shade for your face. Their Blot Powder does an excellent job of keeping the shine away, and it doesn't really cake up on your skin.

I wanna do my own makeup for prom and I need suggestions for a good foundation. I have fair, oily, acne-prone skin and some left over red marks from previous red marks. I want something with heavy coverage, but natural looking.

Should I purchase foundations like Derma Blend, Bare Mineral, M.A.C or are there better options out there? My prom is in about 2 weeks, so I need help ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have suffered with acne for years, and the absolute best foundation I have ever used is the mary kay Creme to Powder Foundation. The clay like base covers zits so instantly, you don't even need an additional concealer, and it leaves you with a natural finish, and the makeup is non comedegenic and oil free so it shouldn't break you out further. I think this foundation is the heaviest coverage you can get without looking unnatural, because you don't need a lot to cover up.

The foundations I have used in the past have taken me 30 minutes to successfully cover my acne, and still did not look quite right, but this one takes no more than 2 minutes for me to get way better results than any other foundation ever! I reccomend using a slight dusting of powder over it, because although it is cream that is supposed to set and dry with a powder finish, depending on how much you use, it can be slightly shiny. I use the mary kay dual coverage powder. The only problem with creme to powder however is that it doesnt come in many shades. The mary kay Day Radiance Foundations are the same thing though, and come in many colors. I actually mix one shade from creme to powder with one shade from day radiance in a small container, and I get the perfect blend. You have to spend more up front to buy two shades, but it will last you twice as long of course. By the way, the mary kay sponges are the best too! It's $2 for a two pack, and they last forever, you can keep rinsing them with antibacterial soap and reusing them. They give a great, even finish. Also, spend the $5 on the beauty blotters, oil absorbing tissues to blot oil through the night. the linen cloths are awesome, you can blot oil right through your makeup without messing it up.

Because you have to order the makeup from a Mary Kay representative, you have to find one on marykay.com and type in your zip code in the consultant locator. You will be directed to a website of a rep in your town, with a phone number and email, but you can also just order the products on her site. She can give you an in home consultation if you want to call her, or you can request samples to make sure you like the color. If you end up wanting to return it, they can easily accept returns on open, used items, and i happen to know that it is of no cost to them, so if a rep ever gives you a hard time about that, just insist, or call the company and they will process the return. I say this because in rare cases you may come across a very salesy type of rep, but in my experience they are usually honest and nice. They also may be willing to do a prom party and do makeovers on your group, but you may want to call the company and request a rep in your area on the younger side, sometimes the older ones want to push bright pinks and stuff! It may just be your best bet to get samples, and place orders on the web though!

Finally, when you try it, make sure to wear it out for a whole evening before prom to see how your skin takes to it. Everyone is different, and you should be positive that you love it, and it wears well for you all night. If it doesn't, return it!

Thanks in advance!

Ditch the foundation and go with concealer instead.

My skin looks so much better when I go without.

It gets less oily and I don't have to worry

about what I look like at the end of the day as much.

If you really can't go without foundation

then I suggest trying something like everyday minerals

since it'll give you some coverage

then you dot a bit of concealer on as needed.

If you really want liquid foundation

then try prescriptives (have them try 'em out on you)

because their color options are awesome.

Almay is also good, but I haven't tried their new line.

Top off your look with bronzer, blush, mascara, and eye makeup.

I think dermablend is disgusting and looks far from natural.

M.A.C. has some okay reviews but it breaks out a lot of people

and I've seen people wear it and it's very mask-like.

Bare minerals works for some people,

but most people say it breaks them out

and that it leaves them itchy and looking oily.

My main tip is be very careful with your makeup,

too much makeup makes skin look worse.

If you're mainly dealing with scars or red marks

then you really don't need too much foundation.

Chanel Double Perfection Fluid makeup is the best foundation ever...you will love it. Extremely good, natural coverage and lets the skin breathe...also has awesome oil-absorbing abilities and stays put all day. Good luck hun

You HAVE TO try the Laura Mercier product line!! It's the best thing I ever did. I have oily skin and with this makeup, my oil is under control. It's unbelieveable! I am totally hooked. It's a bit pricey but well worth every penny...

Now I'm confused! So many options. LOL. I want to stick to liquid foundation because I've never tried the powder ones and don't know how to apply them right. I've heard great things about the MAC Studio finish foundation, but I don't trust a powder foundation to give me the coverage I need. Does it REALLY cover well? Like current acne, red marks, under-eye circles, etc, etc?

if i was u, id just get it done professionally..especially if its for 1 night only..u dont wanna splurge on new makeup..

but..if u do splurge, id recommend getting a good foundation and a MAC 190 foundation brush. The best ones out there have to be Chanel, Prescriptives, Laura Mercier & La Prairie Skin Caviar..

Maybelline Everfresh. its a light foundation, oil free, and wont clog pores. find a shade that matches EXACTLY ur skin type and DONT apply it everwhere.. only where u need to. blend it in well.

also, maybelline concealer is good for the undereyes. find a shade that is slightly lighter than ur normal skin colour. dont cake it on, just put enough to lighten, and then pat foundation ontop to even out colour. i also use concealer on darker blemishes sometimes

set your foundation with a loose powder with a big brush. i used Covergirl

a dusting of bronzer is nice, and will make ur skin glow. i use this instead of blush (i think blush looks fake)

all in all... keep ur makeup as minimal as possible though. DON"T worry about trying to cover every single blemish... cuz when makeup is too noticeable, then it loses it's purpose. flat marks are easily covered, while bumpy active acne can be tricky, so dont load on the foundation (remember ur skin needs to breath/heal too). ur main goal should be to try and reach an even skin tone, so foundation will help achieve that

if u have a few blemishes here and there that can't be completely concealed by makeup... who cares! i know its prom and its really important, but TRUST ME, people don't notice other people's imperfections as nearly as much as oneself does. (its called the spotlight effect or something. i learned this in psych class haha)

anyways, putting on makeup takes a bit of practice, so either practice urself or some help from a family member (sister, mom) or friend is always nice

have fun at ur prom!!